Are Humans Still Evolving?

More
2 years 4 months ago #364554 by ZealotX
Are Humans Still Evolving?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #364583 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Are Humans Still Evolving?
I'm a bit of a proponent (though don't assert it as any particular truth) "that evolution has a purpose and is progressive, for example that feet might be better than hooves or lungs than gills."
And as such "de-evolution, or backward evolution is the notion that species can revert to supposedly more primitive forms over time" can occur.
This centres around the concept of an 'increase in capabilities' as not so much purpose, but the axis of functional complexity ie utility.
But the idea of evolution, even in this way, tends for me to more accurately be about the physical domain and in that regard the process either way is too slow to notice for us. Once (and if) we move populations into the big space of zero and low gravity, we'd see changes which could be analogous to evolution, maybe adaptation is a better word. Makes me wonder when it all the forms of it boil down what is evolution but adaptation :silly:
So then if so, why would we devolve... probably when circumstances create an environment which is artificial, so it then becomes a question of environmental clades perhaps developing, each one more capable in its given environment (evolving) but less capable outside it (devolving).

Unless we're talking psychology, then I think it's not really evolution or de-evolution, but change. One could use the same language to represent the same themes as above, but it might be more apt to use the concept of intelligence to represent mental capability, and then explore its forms and functions in different terms, IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
2 years 4 months ago #364586 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Are Humans Still Evolving?
Yes, we are. Much though we may like to think ourselves outside of nature, we are not. There is no indication that any miraculous exceptions from its principles exist for humans.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
2 years 4 months ago #364595 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Are Humans Still Evolving?
I think to say that we are no longer evolving is to say that we have "finished" (as in perfectly complete) adapting to our environment in a way that no improvement is possible. But maybe we wouldn't know if such an improvement is possible before seeing that mutation. And do we even recognize every mutation that occurs? And isn't our environment still or always changing? So if that's the case how could we ever be done?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi