• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #362155 by
Im sure many will have watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Its a wonderful video imo

And when you are done watching you may feel small, Our impact in time and space IS, from a certain point of view

But

In all this vast magnificence, your experience set: your experiences, your reactions your decisions your memories are unique.

There are no two like it in the whole of the universe. You can travel to one end of the universe to the other physically. from the birth to the big crunch temporally.

And that which is contained between your ears, is unique.

In all that vast area, physically and temporally . You alone are the only one of your kind that ever has or ever will exist. Your experience set is the rarest thing ever to come into being.

Who you are is the rarest thing the universe has ever seen, it will not ever see its like again.

The universe is sooo large and we are so small, and yet in our individuality we are stand outs as one of a kinds

Size matters not in this context

(Standard caveat: i present ideas not facts. )
(Still miss you Carl and Pluto)
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #362218 by
Replied by on topic From a certain Point of view
I am re-posting this here because its pertinent to the thread.

The universe contains lots of common stuff. Hydrogen..... lots of it
Galaxys , watch the video picture paints a trillion words. plenty of those and within each, trillions of suns and planets. each unique in some aspect but very very common.

Your experience set, your memory's, your consciousness library.... one of a kind. Its like the universe is laughing when we get identical twins, because even then, between the ears of each one.... Totally one of a kind unique.
The only one of its kind ever to have existed. The rarest of the rare.

This animated flight through the universe was made by Miguel Aragon of Johns Hopkins University with Mark Subbarao of the Adler Planetarium and Alex Szalay of Johns Hopkins. There are close to 400,000 galaxies in the animation, with images of the actual galaxies in these positions (or in some cases their near cousins in type) derived from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) Data Release 7. Vast as this slice of the universe seems, its most distant reach is to redshift 0.1, corresponding to roughly 1.3 billion light years from Earth. SDSS Data Release 9 from the Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS), led by Berkeley Lab scientists, includes spectroscopic data for well over half a million galaxies at redshifts up to 0.8 -- roughly 7 billion light years distant -- and over a hundred thousand quasars to redshift 3.0 and beyond.

Watch this in the context of your singular uniqueness (full screen is best)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LBltePDZw&t=8s

And its only a small slice of the big picture Its 1.3 billion light years out of 93 billion light-years of the observable universe.........

And in all of that, whats between your ears, is the only one of its kind . A unique one of a kind complex set of information. And the universe will only see its existence once

Mileage will vary but that strikes me as deeply profound
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by .

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #363185 by Lykeios Little Raven
As far as we know we are all unique. Wouldn't it be interesting if, instead of a parallel dimension, similar to the many worlds interpretation, we have an exact copy of us somewhere else in *this* universe?

I mean, they've more-or-less proven the existence of paired photons (I think it was photons) that are linked across spacetime and react to one another, mimicking each others' movements. What if we have a mirror world somewhere that is exactly the same? The only variable would be the coordinates in spacetime where this "other Earth" could be found.

Would this in some way diminish us? Would the lack of uniqueness make us less worthwhile?

Or, in a more mundane way, what if history from the beginning of the universe to its end is simply an endless repetition locked into the same events and producing the same things and organisms in the same configurations over and over and over again? Does it matter?

From a certain point of view it does not.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

More
2 years 6 months ago #363523 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic From a certain Point of view

Lykeios wrote: Would this in some way diminish us? Would the lack of uniqueness make us less worthwhile?

For some, yes. Some people would feel less important, religions would lose their meaning, etc. Personally I think it would validate our existence. It would show that the universe is a much more diverse and creative place than people tend to think.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi