Consulars: A Discussion for Realists

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #361045 by
"A Consular is a specialized kind of Jedi. They focus more on cerebral Force skills. They're our healers, our researchers, our seers." -- Zayne Carrick

The Fictional Jedi Consular specialized in the educational and mystic arts. Specifically they studied the Force and its nuances, so to better feel its Will and act upon it.

Now how does this translate over to the Jedi Realist Path?

Many Jedi have spent time as nurses, doctors, educators, therapists. It is a service towards the future so to ensure systems of peace can be knowledgeably put into place.

Not all Jedi, of course, have served in such fields. Jedi Realists that wish to follow the Consular Path spend their time learning to follow the Force within others and the world. They study and meditate to better understand the nature of the Force and how to work with it. They master their minds so to better be able to serve. Its more big picture, unlike the Guardian mindset of Peace Where One Is, instead aiming to create the foundation for systems of peace.

We all have the Three Paths within us, even if we have a primal inclination towards one. How do you pursue the Consular Path?

This is a discussion of the fictional Consular class, and how it can translate into Jedi Realism/Jediism. We won't be discussing Guardian/Sentinels yet. If you'd like to discuss Guardians, you can do so in the thread for such here.

May the Force continue to guide you.

Attachment 136405674_2811956435707502_3333088204087325299_n.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by . Reason: disclaimers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #361056 by Adder
I might differ slightly, in that the focus explores the domains of empathy, in contrast to extension of Guardians, and examination of Sentinels.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 9 months ago #361059 by

Adder wrote: I might differ slightly, in that the focus explores the domains of empathy, in contrast to extension of Guardians, and examination of Sentinels.

Care to expand on that? The domains of empathy as it pertains to the Path?

More
2 years 9 months ago #361074 by Adder

Arisaig wrote:

Adder wrote: I might differ slightly, in that the focus explores the domains of empathy, in contrast to extension of Guardians, and examination of Sentinels.

Care to expand on that? The domains of empathy as it pertains to the Path?

Yes, developing and deepening it with themselves, and deploying that to effect... according to whatever doctrine one uses to guide action. Now that could be said of each, but for a Consular it seems IMO to be related in a way to their own experience of suffering pain, versus fear for Guardians, versus ignorance for Sentinel. I tend to take a bit of an view peoples motivations tend to relate to something deeper. But I don't mean to suggest those root experiences shape them but rather it might, and more often not likely do, lead a person in a direction they then go onto choose to follow or blaze around.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
2 years 9 months ago #361077 by Figment
I like that mention empathy as part of the consulars.

I think consulars are more about finding harmony, whether it is harmony with the body (healing), with a group of people (diplomacy and compromise), with in one's mind, or guides. To accomplish this empathy must be at the forefront, otherwise you are just feeding the ego with being in control or manipulating others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: River,

More
2 years 9 months ago #361092 by Tellahane
I'm not one to focus much on mixing lore into practice personally. However as a Paramedic Jedi, my biggest focus is to maintain a healthy viewpoint of health care. To continue to not just have empathy for patients in general but to focus on not getting jaded. Within the last year and a half obviously the pandemic and everything else going on took a toll on a lot of health care workers. Though I can only really talk about the ones I work with on a regular basis in my area I can imagine there are similar results through out the world. I often group health care providers into a couple different categories:

(In no particular order).
1. Those who do it because it was easy to get into and all they want is a paycheck.
2. Those who generally wanted to get into care, but after some period of time have gotten jaded or just overworked/abused and just don't care much, or as much as they initially did.
3. Those rare few who bring the same compassion they had day one, to everyday work.

There are a number of #1's out there. Maybe they got into it initially because they thought it would be fun, others saw the paycheck and just wanted to live a rich life. Whatever the case may be they are often what I call cookie cutter providers. They follow the protocols, patient presents with A. so treat with answer A. Not a lot of care or critical thinking in between. Not a lot of effort put in, just get the minimum done and move onto the next. #2's started with compassion but either through overworked hours, some bad patient scenarios, the environment they work in, something drove them to the point where they are in a constant state of being "tired". Sometimes they come up for air and do something nice for someone, or go the extra mile at times, others its just get it done so they can move on or clock out and find something else to do. They often get "over it". #3...thats the rare bunch who find a way to keep a mindset and focus to give the same amount of effort and go the extra mile on every patient contact they have. They too often have to worry about not over-doing it, but are more worried about under-doing it.

I would find that in this scenario with Consulars they would strive for a mental focus and use meditation to keep a clear mind and provide the same level of compassion, empathy, and care for each patient they come across. Not only to best treat both physically and emotionally but to strive to do so above and beyond the standard at all times. With the times of patient contacts one can run into and the sad and horrifying stories this is not an easy task by any stretch of the means. So being able to strong in meditative practice and mental focus is a huge boon to achieve these goals. At the same time I've recently started telling people you can be selfless all the time, but you can't take care of someone else unless you take care of yourself first. So the key to good healthcare is to be selflessly selfish. To focus on yourself to be the best yourself you can in order to be the best provider for someone else. Striving to reach that level of mental preparedness for what any scenario may come your way and the ability to tackle it is important.

Hopefully that made some little bit of sense I literally just woke up so I may tweak it a little later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
2 years 9 months ago #361094 by Shepherd

Arisaig wrote:
Not all Jedi, of course, have served in such fields. Jedi Realists that wish to follow the Consular Path spend their time learning to follow the Force within others and the world. They study and meditate to better understand the nature of the Force and how to work with it. They master their minds so to better be able to serve. Its more big picture, unlike the Guardian mindset of Peace Where One Is, instead aiming to create the foundation for systems of peace.

Building on my post over in the Guardians thread, I associate Consulars primarily with the fourth line of the Code; "There is no Chaos, there is Harmony." (Funnily enough, Figment has already mentioned Harmony!) Consulars step "beyond shadows" and much of their practice deals with an intimate relationship with the Force that reveals information that is difficult to express. This style of practice is regularly mystical and magickal. Whilst I agree with your description insofar as you mention "learning to follow the Force within others and the world" (another way of expressing this intimate connection), I think there is a deeper discussion to be had about their role in creating the "foundation for systems of peace".

I firmly believe Guardians (and to some extent, Sentinels) are the communicators of law and doctrine. They create a workable system that can be put into practice to maintain a serene style of living. They are the empathic-communicators that reveal what the Consulars have learnt, where the Consulars are... more-than-empathic? In my studying, I have explored the idea that Love is essentially the art of ultimate acceptance. I view it as something divorced from passion, desire and lust, and view it instead as having a stronger relationship with awe and wonder. When one is struck by certain sights and sounds, one can't help but let down all their defenses so that this beautiful thing, whatever it is, can be experienced fully. This impulse to accept, to bathe and revel in the experience, is what I would call Love. It is the seed beneath the forest of emotions we experience, and the drive that makes us fall so "madly in love" with other people. Consulars seek out this profound more-than-empathic experience of Love. Their goal is to allow all information put before their senses to penetrate them to their core.

The information turned up by this endeavor is regularly beyond words. It exists in a realm of experience and meaning that cannot be shaped into communicable thoughts without a great deal of effort. The Consulars of our Path regularly require Guardians and Sentinels to help them in distilling the Unified Force into ideas that can be added to our doctrine and expressed to others as tools in the battle against the Dark Side.

This is coming from a fairly deep place as I identify most with the Consular. Their style of thinking without boundaries is a deep part of my creative and discovering process, and it is also what I find hardest to commit to at times. I am a fairly rigid person when it comes to my ideas in the moment, as is probably made evident by the fact that I'm framing my discussion in terms of a system I've concocted. Learning to let my ideas change, break apart and restructure themselves has been a big part of my apprenticeship so far. Much of it has been focused on reading insights radically different from my own. Discovering that, with time, they could worm their way into my mind and become part of the greater whole has been enlightening. All information has an important relationship with the Force, whatever I might think of it.

So, my summation is simply that the role Consulars play in creating systems of peace is at least a two step process. Their raw experience almost always requires a series of filters, other Force-sensitives eager to listen, incorporate and consider.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figment, Kobos,

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #361150 by Figment
Shepherd, I just wanted to say I love your response. It is well thought out and is also thought provoking.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Figment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Shepherd,

More
2 years 9 months ago #361160 by Shepherd
Thank you Figment! Trying my best to bring about a years worth of thinking to bear, haha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi