The merits of "faith-based" face coverings; dress code.

More
4 years 1 week ago #350895 by Kohadre
For those who have been following news regarding COVID-19, and policies concerning it's containment; there is now a federal "recommendation" that all Americans wear some form of face covering while out in public or within social settings.

I have for some time, advocated a "first-responder" dress code within the Jedi community; as I feel that if we are to be of service to our communities, then we naturally must be prepared & equipped to serve.

Prior to the outbreak, among my other gear I carried and wore a shemagh; essentially an oversized bandanna utilized in desert communities as a protection from sand, sun, and heat. In some of these communities, wearing such a garment is also mandated through law.

Whether intended or not, the religious association tied into the aforementioned garment has reduced community ailments such as heat stroke, skin / soft tissue damage, and overall mortality rates.

The essential point of the above, being that if we are to again discuss the issue of "what should Jedi wear"; perhaps an encouraged or otherwise required use of carry kits, including face masks, should be outlined?

I understand that as part of our doctrine, we are encouraged to be humble regarding our acts of service; not boastful or otherwise attention seeking. However, especially in times such as this; I feel that this does a disservice to the community since members are not provided examples or resources to better serve their communities.

I would enjoy hearing others thoughts within discussion, especially considering current events.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3, Zero, Vampiric_Conure

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #350897 by Adder
Covering doesn't have to mean hiding though and clear coverings might work. An issue in hot climates is sun protection vs airflow cooling but I imagine in cold climates a covering is pure benefit?

I'd always planned to sew in a drop down mosquito mesh layer on the inside of the hood, if I ever got around to building my own Jedi robes.... just because it would be the only bit of skin left exposed to mozzies in those dark damp parts of the rainforest... so dense with them. But only intended to use it when needed, with the hood only ever 'deployed' for Sun protection or during meditation to simulate a dark retreat :silly:

The viral barrier effectiveness though, of that is nil.

AFAIK; Cloth material is no good for close contact as it gets moist and gathers viral particles.... but cloth material is better then nothing for longer distances - so long as its discarded or washed appropriately and not touched during use. Obviously whenever wearing any protective equipment one must be careful about spreading it around by not touching the mask, goggles etc, and carefully disrobe and discard/disinfect the materials/equipment, before thoroughly decontaminating oneself through appropriate washing and fresh clothing.

The other issue is eye protection, because some viruses can get in there also... with some talk that this is the case with SARS-CoV-2. The culture of 'armor' in SW fiction to me is less about combat survivability and more about environmental survivability, ie Space, underwater, gaseous etc. So when you see Stormtroopers, Vader and Mandolorians etc, the look for me is not badass warrior but hardass worker. It's just the tools differ ;)

So IMO if the prevalence of infectious highly morbid agents persist within the community then yea I guess face covering will become the norm, but I'd expect they will be one piece clear covering with appropriate filtering around the edges, just so social connection can continue and that the design would enable more effective use and maintenance longer term. Otherwise, nah it serves no purpose in my eyes to hide ones face for no good reason.

But, a emergency kit is always a good idea. Mine is just a small first aid one in my car.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
4 years 1 week ago #350899 by Carlos.Martinez3
Its a hard one for me because I know not every "jungle" isnt the same.

Begin aware of ones surroundings isnt a Modern day Jeddist thing for me. During life, I received additional training on such things.
What I can recommend is that people find out whats going on in their own area and find out what type of precautions they need for where they are directly at. There are places in my own town I dont travel any way but now its a good precaution to stay away from the areas you know arnt being as preconditioned as they need to be.

Personally
I always cary a poncho- fleece. Theres some magic in it I cant explain some days. Try it. I think its a human thing more than a spiritual or Jedi thing but theres a connection every time for me.... some where.
right now I cary Lysol spray in a can and use it generously before and after I touch things. Before all this i was still stocked so the ability to use what i got - being prepared is alright some days.
I dont get out of my car as soon as i stop. I dont leave as soon as i get in. I kinna just - chill or watch. Been pretty helpful pretty much all my life. The slow down is for me usually the moments I miss to focus. I stop myself from being in a rush often. Seems to help me controll my anxiety as well as general saltiness.
My wife keeps telling me story after storys of how the earth is just resetting and turtles are coming back and fish are again and birds are flying and things are growing. Shes the best at that.
This is a blessing that some one can be this for me. I am that for her. Any one can be that for any one else.
Compassion fatigue is real. Careful what ya look at at the stores and on the radio. Peoples hearts get Freaken heavy listening to gloom all day. Dont deny it but remember it can get ya down.

I always park away from crowds. General population. I do that any way. It works for me often. This often puts me in moments I can only deem as part of the change. Ya gotta try that one to understand. Some times its like walking into a movie scene.

so, what do we wear...
Ill tell you one thing, when its time to scrub up ill know. Its hard because we live near Duke University so around us there have been direct cases so we have very direct measure.

ALWAYS

Take recommended measures
If it ever gets time for masks I will. I cant seem to put a bandanna of any type over my face... its a very hard thing for me to do in life in my own personal life. Till its required- Ill never wear a bandana or a cover over my face like that. Ill gladly put on a mask any day faster than any one else ...but that one gets me so ... I limit my need for it.
Gloves should be changed often no matter - so should scrubs but thats always been a pet peeve of mine. I never left the hospital in scrubs. Grosss
EVER
I leave when I see scrubs in the real world. Not rude like but um.... its a sanitary thing for me.

The best way to get a Jedi's Saber from them is to ask them for it. My hope is those who give understand that at the same time be safe too. Who would you give your Saber to?

If im ever in a hood, I always take it off when I enter- Jedi or not but I always do that with a hat too, call it my Texan jedi. The only time youll see me use Jedi with a lowercase J.(joking)
Some practices are just safe. Continue to be safe.
May the Force continue to be with you when ya need it and ... when ya dont.

Safe is safe no matter where someday.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #350901 by Kohadre

Adder wrote: Covering doesn't have to mean hiding though and clear coverings might work. An issue in hot climates is sun protection vs airflow cooling but I imagine in cold climates a covering is pure benefit?

I'd always planned to sew in a drop down mosquito mesh layer on the inside of the hood, if I ever got around to building my own Jedi robes.... just because it would be the only bit of skin left exposed to mozzies in those dark damp parts of the rainforest... so dense with them. But only intended to use it when needed, with the hood only ever 'deployed' for Sun protection or during meditation to simulate a dark retreat :silly:

The viral barrier effectiveness though, of that is nil.

AFAIK; Cloth material is no good for close contact as it gets moist and gathers viral particles.... but cloth material is better then nothing for longer distances - so long as its discarded or washed appropriately and not touched during use. Obviously whenever wearing any protective equipment one must be careful about spreading it around by not touching the mask, goggles etc, and carefully disrobe and discard/disinfect the materials/equipment, before thoroughly decontaminating oneself through appropriate washing and fresh clothing.

The other issue is eye protection, because some viruses can get in there also... with some talk that this is the case with SARS-CoV-2. The culture of 'armor' in SW fiction to me is less about combat survivability and more about environmental survivability, ie Space, underwater, gaseous etc. So when you see Stormtroopers, Vader and Mandolorians etc, the look for me is not badass warrior but hardass worker. It's just the tools differ ;)

So IMO if the prevalence of infectious highly morbid agents persist within the community then yea I guess face covering will become the norm, but I'd expect they will be one piece clear covering with appropriate filtering around the edges, just so social connection can continue and that the design would enable more effective use and maintenance longer term. Otherwise, nah it serves no purpose in my eyes to hide ones face for no good reason.

But, a emergency kit is always a good idea. Mine is just a small first aid one in my car.

Agreed, cotton fabric by itself is a poor barrier against viral transmission. There are however various treatments, such as colloidal silver & zinc pyrithione which can add antimicrobial / antibacterial properties to run-of-the-mill fabrics. However, since those carrying the virus can be asymptomatic within the first days of infection; possibly through the entire viral life cycle, it serves as more of a community harm reduction practice.

My own mask at the moment is inspired by an aforementioned storm-trooper helmet, based off of a heavily modified "panoramic" scuba mask. The valve at the top has been removed and modified to fit a slide-in carbon air filter, and I have further plans to modify the mask to run a water line, and reserve air line through the top valve which I hope to run on off the self pocket-co2 canisters.

Not intending insult, the general public is going to have to be more resourceful and put forth greater effort in protecting themselves. There are uncounted tutorials and references online, ranging from soap making, gas/filtration masks, and electric generation via means of windmill, watermill, solar, pyroelectric, etc.

Laziness is not only a trait which can no longer be afforded, but one which now has the potential to kill oneself and others.

As far as Jedi robes go, modifying a loose-fit plus size hoodie is immensely easier than working a raw bolt of fabric. Additionally, in place of mosquito mesh; a "sniper veil" may serve as an easier fabric to sew into the brim of a hoodie. It's almost as effective at keeping bugs out, and the fabric tends to be far more durable. Just a few suggestions from my own projects where field-garments are concerned.

On that note as well, utility belts can be easily made using old or worn out clothes, a bit of self adhesive velcro, and some cardboard from a shipping box to give a bit of support. Sew a pouch around the cardboard backing, one half of the adhesive velcro on the pouch, and the other on your desired belt. The same adhesive velcro can be used for an easy, no-sew "button".

Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Kohadre. Reason: Spelling/grammer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 1 week ago #350908 by Carlos.Martinez3
And I forgot- when I get home from a run I wash or dissenfect my pancho - boots pants belt shirt sleeves and top anything that can be a carrier even - yea the grocery’s. It that’s me still just being over cautious - that’s ok too.

Build, not tear down.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #350916 by Kohadre

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: And I forgot- when I get home from a run I wash or dissenfect my pancho - boots pants belt shirt sleeves and top anything that can be a carrier even - yea the grocery’s. It that’s me still just being over cautious - that’s ok too.

If it's well considered caution which keeps you / your loved ones alive and healthy, I don't know I'd agree with it being "overly cautious".

I live in NY, and despite the state being the current hot spot; the complete lack of caution and disregard for safety regulations makes my head spin on a daily basis. People are still gathering for block parties, barbecues, sports games, etc. One of my wife's former D&D game mates even went so far as to declare her house a covid-free zone, with the reasoning that her say-so and absence of permission would be enough to keep the virus at bay. Police are now issuing fines upwards of $2000 per offense to further discourage these kinds of social gatherings.

Residents are also being advised to quarantine their groceries and mail, with some even going so far as to bake post in the oven at low heat to kill residual viral droplets. Take out meals are recommended to either be microwaved or broiled until "dry".

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; an old adage I know but it rings more true now than ever.

The benefit of having a garment being required or otherwise outlined for spiritual practice, is that it then becomes protected through discrimination in the workplace by law of religious exemption. Through this, workers who would otherwise be instructed / forced to remove face coverings have additional (legal) protections available to (physically) protect them when interacting with potentially infected clients/customers.

Please stay safe and healthy. We all need you here at TOTJO, and I enjoy our chats far too much to see anything interrupt them; selfish as that may be.

Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Kohadre. Reason: Grammer - clarification

More
4 years 1 week ago #350917 by Carlos.Martinez3
I WILL light a candle for you. I can’t even ... with others without disregard - I would have moved. May the Force continue to be with you -

Build, not tear down.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi