The Importance of What We Do With Our Time

More
4 years 2 months ago #348151 by Proteus
Hi guys.

I would like us to have a ponder and a discussion on the topic of what we do with our time both here at the temple and outside of it. But first I would like you to watch this very short clip of Brandon Lee sharing a quote (even if you've already seen it, I still recommend once more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJRI8_Qauc

That was his last interview, and it was ironic that he shared this quote not long before his sudden passing.

Sometimes I see people taking their interactions with others for granted and I think about this. I think back on people very dear to me who I once had the privilege of being in their lives and then losing that privilege (and some of them I may never get that back ever again).

Whenever we are spending time here at the temple, or outside of it, what are we doing with that time that is actually quality? What are we spending that time talking about, thinking/worrying about, or contributing? Are we using it to get the most out of our interactions with others? If I may change up a pronoun for my point - Is there anybody that, if they were suddenly gone today, you would regret your last moments with them (or lack thereof) not being better than it was? What could you be doing different with them, or with the temple, to make sure it is as valuable as you can make it?

I know this isn't going to be a sensationally controversial topic, so I won't be surprised if it dies and withers away in a day. But maybe some discussion would be nice or if anything, it can help any of us revisit what we are doing here and why. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Alexandre Orion, J. K. Barger, OB1Shinobi, Skryym, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348160 by Amaya
I regret nothing :)
And would change nothing.
I am not very social and so if I talk with you then you mean something in my journey. But should you disapear my journey continues, better or worse for that contribution.
My time here is in my eyes never wasted wether I interact or not.
In life I have no regrets about decisions I make and I do what is important to me and mine.
I would do nothing different here or anywhere.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos

More
4 years 2 months ago #348162 by Carlos.Martinez3
I find that often there is that type of modern day Jeddist that returns often. There are those who do not. There are some that can benefit and there are some that ... are encouraged. We as Jeddist often share that type of character that finds a return in what was needed for them self’s after much thinking praying or meditation. They “Knight” type of character or that maturity can be found at any level any where at any time and at many different displays.

In my own faith and practice I often remind myself of my own mortality. Sugar skulls do this for me. I have bottles of skulls - jewelry - things that are tangible for me to actually motivate - me. ( piks of my grandparents grave stones n such- the real stuff) For me, this helps shape me.
Some times these ideas stop me flat out. Skkkkkkkkrrreeeccccchhhhhh!
Then I adjust. I’ve thought about what I will leave behind. When I leave and my family is the light and dark for this world. It’s heavy stuff. Compassion fatigue is a real thing for me.
Having a moment to “return” is a benefit I wish every one took.
When I’m gone the sun will still rise but will it be just a ball of fire distant or a loss on my family cheeks- hmmm time to sit in the sun for a bit and -share -

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Amaya, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348163 by
Sure I have regrets, I'm human but I can't let them run around in my head so I keep moving. I want my time to make life better. Better for me and better for others. I've done/said a lot of dumb things in my interactions with people, probably will do a few more. I hope I've learned from my blunders so as not to do them again and maybe grow a little wiser from them.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348172 by Carlos.Martinez3
There was a man I met in San Antonio Texas and for the life of me I can’t recall his name - he told me over coffee “ man can make blocks into ledges- here’s what I mean - every time I remember a failure of mine in the past - I use it to do something stronger - I use it as a reminder - and it gives me courage to not fail again.” Over my life I am just now benefiting from changing what used to get me down to a place that fires me up. Those moments I though of as failure and sadness are now sometimes the fire that burns those few extra seconds - for me to change the things I can. I believe everything has a season. Some hurts and blocks can be changed. Some may always hurt, but my encouragement to others human beings as well as modern day Jeddist is this - be the change - you can - I think it’s that very idea a lot of us share in reality.

Hmm

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Amaya, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348177 by
I regret time I spent by playing video games in the past, insted of living real life. I used to using it as an escape,
because honestly a life isn´t easy.
And also wish I could spend more time with my gradfather, because only now when is gone I realized that
we had very similar personality and I loved to be with him, because he was very empathetic.

Important thread! And urgent to continue in current fast century

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348178 by

elizabeth wrote: I regret nothing :)
I am not very social and so if I talk with you then you mean something in my journey. But should you disapear my journey continues, better or worse for that contribution.
In life I have no regrets about decisions I make and I do what is important to me and mine.

I love LOVE this!! Time is definitely to short for regrets. Every decision I make serves to better me. some decisions are bad and some are good. But its actually the bad ones that I learn the most from and that is valuable so why would i regret them? I dont need to make every moment I spend with everyone and everything "precious". I need to instead make the moments I have meaningful to me and thats all that i require. people can have their regrets, I will not take that on myself though.

lol I wonder if this convo was inspired by something that we were talking about yesterday, about doing all the work here to become a knight and then shedding that and starting over to do it again. that seems like time wasted to me. It was mentioned that this place is spiral but I dont see repreating something over and over as a spiral but a rut. as an example I would see grade school as a spiral of life. Basically grades 1 through 6 you see the same subjects over and over but each time they evolve to a new level. This is different than just repeating the 2nd grade over and over again and expecting something new to emerge. That is a rut.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348179 by Kobos
I do not regret to much, sure I've done and gone through some things that sucked but that's life. Everything that I think I could regret I spend a lot of time explaining to others how to not do that exact thing (one of the reasons I love the irony that I became a teacher). I think that spending time wisely is personal. Place value in what you will. However, I can say that time spent in conversation with others, even when it is about nothing, is valuable beyond measure. The only experience that can teach you close to it is reading. But, anyway when I can I try to do what I can to use moments to talk. I use time to just think. And yea I use time to play games and blow off steam. Every moment is important but not necessarily what you do with each that makes it so. Making the moment important is less valuable than being there IMHO.

A little jumbly sorry

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 2 months ago #348193 by Manu

elizabeth wrote: I regret nothing :)

How do you learn to steer directions without the feedback that mistakes bring?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348196 by
I dont believe she ever said mistakes are not made?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi