Was Mr Rogers a Hero or a Weirdo?

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #346089 by OB1Shinobi
Am i too cynical? Am i too suspicious? If so, is it my own failing or a sign of the times? Am i the only one who watches this and wonders if it was safe to leave children alone with Mr Rogers?
Warning: Spoiler!

But then i watch this and where i think i should be feeling a deep sense of cringe at the oddness of the man, i instead feel deeply moved and convinced that there is something profoundly important being articulated.
Warning: Spoiler!

What is the answer?!?!?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #346091 by Carlos.Martinez3
Your choice really , now on a hi- def tv with HD I see moments when he sang he fought back tears from what I can only assume is his actual feelings. He’s a hero of mine and when one day, I recive my honorary D Div here - we - me and my hero will have the exact same honor.

My son sings that very song to me and he is the one who saves me some days- for me - there’s a lot more joy in application in things Mr Rogers says than some. It’s not for everyone -That’s ok too. We all don’t have the same hero’s. You like Ice cream ? I do. Flavor is optional. Wanna see a creep - check out creepy uncle joe Biden. There are far more people in charge of things way more “creepier” than Mr Rogers. I promise.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 4 months ago #346109 by JamesSand
We've had a few rounds of "outing" all sorts of nefarious activity in the last few years.
I'm sure I could be proven wrong, but if the record still shows that Mr Rogers was exactly what he says he was and there is zero suggestion or evidence to the contrary, then, too good to be true it may seem, I think you more or less have to accept that it is the case.

Without canonising the man, perhaps take it as a sign that not everyone turns out to be a bastard.

After all, apparently he went on telly specifically to fend off what he saw a dangerous and corrupting influence.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 1 day ago #351381 by JamesSand
It occurs to me that this was probably in the wrong area? Even Ob1 makes mistakes occasionally...

Anyway, in the last six months or so, I've listened to a podcast mini-series about Mr Rogers, watched a few episodes of his show, and watched the 2018 documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

I never had this guy growing up, and I don't know how much of the glory that is heaped upon him is rose tinted glasses, or that the kids that did have him growing up and now in a position to put their resources behind their own nostalgia....

In any case, taken at face value - this guy seems the real deal. He taught without preaching, and has a knack for an earnestness that makes you listen without feeling talked down to, with a message, spoken plainly, and relevant to everyone who is, or ever was a child.

Someone, somewhere along the line will (or already has?) attempt remakes and do overs to "modernise" his works. I have no doubt they'll bugger it right up.

I look forward to watching more of his neighbourhood series, and hope that I can learn something - not just for myself, but that I can become a better teacher and leader from his style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #351559 by
Replied by on topic Was Mr Rogers a Hero or a Weirdo?
He is a Hero and has the most genuine and authentic heart.
(Does anyone ever really die? ;) ;) )

https://youtu.be/cwiYAYJ9D44

More
3 years 11 months ago #351607 by J. K. Barger
This part of the Forum is for introductions, not debate.

Please post accordingly.

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
3 years 11 months ago #351610 by Carlos.Martinez3
Post moderated to proper forum tab. Enjoy.

May the Force continue to be with us all -
Pastor Carlos

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, OB1Shinobi, FTPC

More
3 years 11 months ago #351632 by FTPC
stomach cancer took Fred rogers to soon, I wish he was still around today He is one of the reasons that we have PBS because he went before to congress in the 50's or 60"s and shared he idea about kids and educational programming

& Rogers testified before the Senate Subcommittee on Communications, chaired by John Pastore, on May 1, 1969. As part of his testimony, he recites the lyrics to "What Do You Do with the Mad that You Feel?",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rogers
I remember growing up and watching his show along with Sasme street

Joined Monday 14 January 2015 16:03 guest -
Friday, 24, January 2015, 16:03 pm member
Wednesday may /18/2016 13:04 pm. Novice -
Thursday, July/ 17//2020 time 19:42 pm - Initiate rank-
Monday 20 Jul 2020 19:43 pm Apprintace- to Wescli Wardest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #351633 by FTPC
in my book he is a hero

and look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfF_4Ap1VQ

Joined Monday 14 January 2015 16:03 guest -
Friday, 24, January 2015, 16:03 pm member
Wednesday may /18/2016 13:04 pm. Novice -
Thursday, July/ 17//2020 time 19:42 pm - Initiate rank-
Monday 20 Jul 2020 19:43 pm Apprintace- to Wescli Wardest
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by FTPC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #352012 by
Replied by on topic Was Mr Rogers a Hero or a Weirdo?
@FTPC

So much this. There needs to be more of this

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi