The Jedi and the Bodhisattva

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #345124 by
Replied by on topic The Jedi and the Bodhisattva
I have found many similarities between the Jedi path and the following of Buddha. To better yourself, to live with love and compassion,to relieve yourself of the darker emotions, and to live in peace and harmony with others and the world. To struggle towards enlightenment.
As for the martial side of things, there are buddist monks who train in the martial arts and are practically unequaled in thier mastery.
MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #345137 by
Thank you, I liked the last two comments, I assume most on this site are either spiritually or philosophically inclined... Yes we are not a hive mind, but we are a community and as such should be in tune with the general feel of the members. Allen Watts approaches his world views from a Zen perspective and Joseph Campbell draws heavily on vedic mythology, which in this context, draws me to my conclusion that the heroes journey is epitomized by the Bodhisattva ideals. Of coarse Shaolin monks probably inspired the Jedi idea along with the structure of the British Knights. Although the ideology leans heavily towards an Eastern philosophy.
As for the idea of an enlightened destroyer, I am of course not saying that an ordinary mundane person should imagine himself as such, but am talking of an actual enlightened being, if you could believe that such a being could exist, and not necessarily human, could for instance the actual personification of Kali have the wisdom to destroy compassionately. And in that case, if we have a problem with enlightened beings passing judgement, why do we accept unenlighteded politicians to make those same judgements, is it a case of better the devil we know?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #345177 by

Freedom wrote: ... Assuming that Jedi are keen on cutting people up? Don't you think that Jedi would use violence as a last resort... And if someone were so evil that they would harm countless others, don't you think that a bodhisattva may eliminate him, knowing that, that course of action is the only one left? ...

I recall a discussion along these lines being raised years ago during an introductory course on Buddhism I was attending. The instructor / guide for the class raised several hypothetical questions surrounding the theme of not causing harm to others, along these lines:

"If someone you knew just gave birth, would you kill the baby?". Of course, the universal answer was no.

"What if you knew that child would grow up to become Hitler?" Now, the situation became more grey.

"Then, what if you knew Hitler's own child would discover the cure for cancer?" Even greyer still.

Now, we clearly do not possess the kind of foreknowledge described in these questions, even in the face of events that are less extreme than these imaginary ones. That leaves us to make our moral decisions, adhering to compassion as closely as possible while recognizing that the full outcomes of our actions are unknown to us. With that in mind, I am inclined toward the greatest possible avoidance of causing harm to another. While Kali is one kind of spiritual heroine to many, there are others who renounced violence even though it cost their lives.

The Buddhist doctrine from which the idea of a Bodhisattva comes customarily is focused on the ultimate enlightenment of all sentient beings. That would include the very demons that Kali is said to have slain. In the original Star Wars trilogy, Luke saved his father by refraining from causing his death, not by taking the opportunity to slay him.

Long story short - I believe that the universal salvation or enlightenment of humanity, if there is ever to be one, will not come forth from a heroic destruction of those among us we may regard as evil. It will instead arise from their transformation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #345191 by OB1Shinobi
I have heard that the Dali Lama pronounced Steven Seagal to be a deity. A God. At first I interpreted it as evidence of Dali Lama’s corruption because the way the story is told, it was the result of a large monetary donation. My preferred interpretation is that the Dali Lama was trolling Seagal, who by all accounts is if not a sexual predator, very sexually aggressive and extremely narcissistic. I love the humor of assuring a narcissist that they have become a deity.

The first time I encountered the idea of Bodhisattvas it was in the context of an enlightened one who postpones their own Nirvana to stay in the human world of karma and suffering in order to help others reach enlightenment. Like a superhero of Buddhism, these mythical figures are the very embodiment of wisdom and compassion. Later, I learned that anyone can be a Bodhisattva merely by deciding that they want to be enlightened. So it becomes something similar to the Seagal thing in that vanity is a hook and even a sort of trap; people who fancy themselves wise teachers can call themselves Bodhisattvas merely on their perception that they are wise teachers of the poor, unenlightened rabble. Since it is a process that cannot be avoided, I imagine the idea is to encourage them to dive as deeply as possible into their own vanity so they will accelerate the karma of learning humility :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

More
4 years 5 months ago #345192 by Carlos.Martinez3

OB1Shinobi wrote: I have heard that the Dali Lama pronounced Steven Seagal to be a deity. A God. At first I interpreted it as evidence of Dali Lama’s corruption because the way the story is told, it was the result of a large monetary donation. My preferred interpretation is that the Dali Lama was trolling Seagal, who by all accounts is if not a sexual predator, very sexually aggressive and extremely narcissistic. I love the humor of assuring a narcissist that they have become a deity.

The first time I encountered the idea of Bodhisattvas it was in the context of an enlightened one who postpones their own Nirvana to stay in the human world of karma and suffering in order to help others reach enlightenment. Like a superhero of Buddhism, these mythical figures are the very embodiment of wisdom and compassion. Later, I learned that anyone can be a Bodhisattva merely by deciding that they want to be enlightened. So it becomes something similar to the Seagal thing in that vanity is a hook and even a sort of trap; people who fancy themselves wise teachers can call themselves Bodhisattvas merely on their perception that they are wise teachers of the poor, unenlightened rabble. Since it is a process that cannot be avoided, I imagine the idea is to encourage them to dive as deeply as possible into their own vanity so they will accelerate the karma of learning humility :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

https://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Movie-Star-Declared-a-Lama-Seagal-elevated-to-2821779.php

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #345193 by OB1Shinobi
Ha, thats hilarious. I wasnt sure if the story was even true, i just thought it was funny. Im not sure what i think of the Dali Lama but it seems to me that if you can make a profit and poke fun at a jackamole like Seagal at the same time, you should go for it.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 5 months ago #345194 by Carlos.Martinez3
I used to fight - combative style
Type of thing - for fun with the Army. In my travels and as much as possible - I traveled and met others on many Army post as possible. It was a huge independent type of thing - nothing official. I met Mr Seagal in passing and had the chance to have lunch with the guy at Walter Reed medical Center.
People behind the camera and lights are never as they are in person.
I can say this first hand - at the time I met him- I was not Star struck as much as I would have loved to take him to the mat.
We had lunch with a huge group - hand shakes and we went back to the place where we were all going to compete.

That’s all I got personally on the guy - I wouldn’t mind getting hit by him if I had a change to put him in a rear naked. Lol joking but ya never know all the sides present - especially with cameras and such. Any ways enough of that sorry - de railed a bit . Mi culpa

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
4 years 5 months ago #345210 by J. K. Barger
Freedom:
Could the Jedi then be Bodhisattvas?
Absolutely.
What would you say are the differences if any?
None.

Remember, the name Mahavira, the founder of Jainism and significant player in the Dharmic tradition, means "Great Hero".

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #345211 by
Putting feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken. Looking at the incidents of fake gurus, does not mean that a guru does not exist. You being your greatest guru. Yes anyone can become a Bodhisattva, just like anyone can become a 'jedi', but not everyone on said path will attain to the fruits of that path. An unenlighteded bodhisattva differs greatly from an enlightened one.
The Hitler baby idea is interesting but flawed in it's assumptions... Hitler's child did not discover the cure for cancer so while I understand the premise for this, it is irrelevant in the situation... Let us ask rather if given the choice to kill him before he gave out an order to commit genocide, or to avert world war 2, would you? If not, it reminds me of hearing a story here in South Africa of a lady being assulted and mugged in a crowed of people, no one lifted a finger to help her. Like antelope who leave the weakest to their demise, thinking phew at least it wasn't me this time. But again I stress that, yes, we ordinary minds have no idea of the repercussions of our actions, but we still take the action of what is appropriate for the situation, and in this way wisdom overrides dogma. How mush more so of a truly enlightened being?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #345213 by
Can we declare Alan Watts posthumously an honorary Jedi?
I think he would have liked that.
Not to mention, many consider him to be a Bodhisattva (albeit a flawed one).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi