Following the Myth

More
4 years 6 months ago #344081 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Following the Myth
The IP team is supposed to understand how people take ideas away from the IP, so could you walk me through your thought process on how Campbell (I'm assuming since that's the lesson in your journal) lead you to believe an Evangelical, aescetic lifestyle is the way to go?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Jake Nislan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344087 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: Well the fact that they consider Jesus real is a mistake like I said. They got poetry and real life mixed up.

I'm a little concerned that you're getting poetry and real life mixed up yourself Fyxe.

You yourself talk about the Jedi from the films as if they really do exist:

Fyxe wrote: I dont think Jedi will come back[...]

For me it means the teachings of the Jedi. The real teachings of the Jedi, not the made up ones.

Suggesting that the Jedi may or may not come back implies that you believe they were here to begin with. They weren't. As for the 'real teachings of the Jedi', the Jedi in the films aren't real, ALL of their teaching are 'made up ones' :laugh:

Fyxe wrote: and whats more, you are supposed to be like some sort of apprentice or something right? like do you have a trainer? did you go through these lessons of IP? this comes from those very teachings. Why dont you know these things?

Like Rex, I too am curious as to how you arrived at these beliefs based on the Campbell videos?

If I may, I'd like to advise that you don't let your beliefs of what Jediism 'should be' become too static this early on in your path. It is worth noting that you're only on the first lesson of the IP at the minute. Perhaps you're views will change as you progress through the rest of the IP? Mine certainly did.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Carlos.Martinez3, Rex, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 6 months ago #344089 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: no body ever said anything about homeless??:angry:

none of these poeple were...

https://www.jonasclark.com/americas-greatest-tent-preachers/

Nope, I get it. I know exactly what you're talking about because I was raised a denomination that used to have what we called "tent meetings" all the time. It's actually pretty simple and it is part of what increased its membership dramatically. You just pitch a tent in a park or whatever, pass out flyers in the area, and people come to hear the message. It's very simple. I don't know if we're organized enough to actually do something like that but I can't call it a bad idea. The tents we used to use were mostly just rented for a week or two. But you don't have to go so big and there's a lot of options today that didn't exist awhile back which helps to bring down costs.

rabbis were basically traveling teachers so its not far off the same concept.

I just think that in a way we're acting like the "new (religious) kid on the block" and we're concerned with how the others will look at us and how much we look like them. Sometimes you just have to step fully into your path because outside influence causes half-stepping.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 6 months ago #344096 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Following the Myth

Brick wrote: You yourself talk about the Jedi from the films as if they really do exist:

No... come on, guys. Seriously? The title of the thread is "Following the Myth". I don't think the OP is remotely saying the Jedi are real, but rather citing the mythical Jedi from the Films as being the "genuine article" vs what what we are attempting to emulate. This is not to denigrate anyone but rather to give honor to the source material from which we are (and should) draw ideas and inspiration.

And I think some of us are just more honest about it. Personally, I'm influenced by Yoda as much as the apostle Paul. It doesn't really even matter if either of them were real or not. It just doesn't. It's about their perspective which I can judge independently of their credibility. Some people look at you and who you are before listening to what you have to say. I think that's wrong. I'm pretty sure Yeshua/Jesus was a real person but he was made into a myth and did not do all the things people claim he did. Yoda may not be a real person but he was likely based on one. Luke wasn't a real person but was likely inspired by one. See where I'm going? Many myths were inspired by real people and events but the whole story or even the story itself isn't true. But the story itself is just a vehicle for information and wisdom, not to be taken literally. And that IS something I took away from JC (Joseph Campbell).

So when it comes to the teachings of the Jedi, they exist within the realm of the lore or myth. If a shaman tells a story about father sky and mother Earth and uses these allegorical characters to teach parables, it doesn't make the parables any less real. Jesus told stories too but the teachings were real. He simply expressed them through story telling because it was easier for people to understand and they could get emotionally or ideologically invested in it. I think its simply a teaching tool. And art often uses fiction to teach real lessons. It's not meant to take literally but its not meant to discard or discount the lessons either just because it has aliens or killer robots or someone choosing between a red pill and a blue pill. All these things were based on something real. And we use that real source as a source of legitimacy and credibility to support Jediism as more than just "star wars nerdology". So since that is true, it doesn't get negated when you teach lessons using fictional characters. It doesn't lose value when you teach it in parable form. If anything it may gain value; the value of the story itself as it blends all of these ideas together. I can talk about all the positive values of the Jedi but I 100% think it loses value without contrasting it to the Sith. For me at least, I think it is the middle where these two sides clash and collide where we learn the most about each side and can judge their value and substance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick, Jake Nislan

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344107 by
Replied by on topic Following the Myth
Thank you Zealot, yes that is what I mean. Why not follow the myth of the Jedi as it was written and if source material like from Joeseph campbell is relevant well we should listen to him and try to live as he describes in embracing the myth!

Rex is mean so I will not respond to him so this next part is for Brick. i am not crazy so please dont think that. I am committed. I wonder if you have been doing this so long you have lost your desire for it? In any case what Joseph says is that societies today are moving so fast that they have lost the ability to listen to and learn from their myths. Stuff gets misinterperted like christians have done, adding in all sorts of irrelevant stuff and redefining terms and making things to complicated by trying to force everybody to think like you. And then it gets all messed up and we lose site of the message. He says to keep our myths pure and take them where we can so that we can actually live like we are supposed to live. Old myths are not for us but new ones can be. When you mix all sorts of stuff up your morals get all messed up and just look at how bad the christians are! they hate everybody and are not accepting of others except themselves and they have all these crazy ideas about God.

Thats not for me. I want a pure myth to live by like my people before me did. The last video I watched was about story tellers and how the animals were our friends and showed us great things. And because we lived like the animals did we knew who we were and how to behave. That doesnt happen any more today and we have like a million genders now because no one knows how to be a man or a woman amymore! I think the Jedi myth can show us this again. a lifetime of dedication to a view of life that is pure. I want a pure Jedi life and I think its the most important thing to get out there and show that to everybody so they can know too!

More
4 years 6 months ago #344114 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Following the Myth

Nope, I get it. I know exactly what you're talking about because I was raised a denomination that used to have what we called "tent meetings" all the time. It's actually pretty simple and it is part of what increased its membership dramatically. You just pitch a tent in a park or whatever, pass out flyers in the area, and people come to hear the message. It's very simple. I don't know if we're organized enough to actually do something like that but I can't call it a bad idea.

That's our main method of getting new memberships for the fencing club....

The hard part is making sure the local council knows the lunatics with swords in the park are not up to mischief....

More
4 years 6 months ago #344115 by JamesSand
Oh, as for the main thrust of this thread - May I suggest a "primer" in philosophies? Jediism is not exactly a path itself, but an understanding of paths.

If you head off and read the Tao Te Ching, (or the Tao of Pooh, if you prefer) The Art of War, the Book of Five Rings, something more fun like the 1st Earth Battalion Operations Field Manual, I like The Republic and The Satanic Bible and Beyond Good and Evil but I'm a little "Western" in my Jediism)

I have not read it, but some like "Rules for a Knight" as a modern take...

My intent is not to be a "gatekeeper" as such, but I suppose to assist in introducing why your comments may not be resonating as well as you'd hope with your audience - many here have delved into numerous philosophies as part of their Jedi Journey, and while it may not have made them "wiser" as such, it has made them more "intellectual" in their consideration of things.

I'm not sure how to phrase this...I think the word is somewhere near "Jargon" - in a group of people (lets call them peers for lack of a better word) talking about a matter of common interest, there is an assumed level of background knowledge and understanding.

I'm not saying you have to have that, you can do your path however, but you might find you are understood better by the people you are trying to communicate with if you share the same "foundation" thinking (which is more or less what the IP is trying to achieve)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos, Brick, Rex, forestjedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344116 by
Replied by on topic Following the Myth
But I thought the foundation was understood? Isnt it Star Wars mythology?

More
4 years 6 months ago #344119 by JamesSand
No, Star wars is the veneer, the latest coat of paint if you will, the sizzle of the sausage.

You have discovered it, and hopefully by the end of this conversation you will ask the questions..

What is a Jedi?

Okay, but Why?

Okay, but Why?

Okay, but Why?

and that will lead you down a path (not necessarily a "Right" path, but hey)

dig through the Myth find out why a Jedi is a Taoist, why a Jedi is a Samurai, why a Jedi is a Knight, why a Jedi is an Ubermensch.....

and then you might see that Star Wars is not any special "Pure" form of Jediism, but part of it, a reflection of it perhaps?

Since I'm at a coffee shop staring at a street - Mazdas are Cars, but Cars are not Mazdas...

every time you see a Mazda you are seeing a car....but nothing about it being a Mazda is it's carness

(Mazda is just a brand of car, in case that metaphor is going absolutely no where)

ANYWAY - Do the IP, if at any stage it's not for you, then godspeed, but I feel many of your questions would be answered there, and my old-as-the-internet trollbells are jingling just a tad, so I don't know how much further I'll go with explaining it (keeping in mind any explanations are mine only, I'm just some guy in a coffee shop, and lack any titles, robes, or jaunty hats to show my authority)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Amaya, Kobos, Brick, Rex, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 6 months ago #344120 by JamesSand
I forgot to mention - much of the "recommended reading" for those on a Jedi Path can be found at

https://templeofthejediorder.org/library

The whole thing isn't exactly mandatory study, but a selection of works found useful by TotJO Jedi for their path, (and sufficiently old as to not require much in the way of expenditure - if you want more contemporary writings, you may have to go into a book shop and hand over some hard-earned)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi