Following the Myth

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344017 by
Following the Myth was created by
soo maybe weird question? im watching lesson one and Joseph campell says that it is important in modern times to adopt a myth and to try and not counfuse it with other myths so that culture can be established within a group. I wonder how people feel about that especially since some here dont seem to follow the myth of Star Wars very closely?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344018 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: soo maybe weird question? im watching lesson one and Joseph campell says that it is important in modern times to adopt a myth and to try and not counfuse it with other myths so that culture can be established within a group. I wonder how people feel about that especially since some here dont seem to follow the myth of Star Wars very closely?

That's somewhat of the point behind the foundation of TOTJO and it's culture.

We're not here to roleplay, or LLARP; if you will. TOTJO in its current format aims for the goal of being an all-inclusive community in which people of different backgrounds and faiths are encouraged to participate and contribute.

Our special interest groups, such as Abrahamic, Pagan, and Eastern studies have been created specifically to accommodate that intended purpose. Obviously, a TOTJO member who adheres more closely to an Islamic background isn't going to have the same foundation of faith as say a Wiccan from our Pagan community.

However, they can both find common ground in incorporating elements of TOTJO Jediism into their own spiritual practices.

If you can open your mind into considering something outside of an "extremist" view of Star Wars based, fantasy focused Jediism; I think you could take away much more benefit from your studies and interactions here at TOTJO.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Kohadre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex, Jake Nislan

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344019 by
Replied by on topic Following the Myth
You mention other spiritual paths like Christian or whatever, but is there a group for those of us that want to follow a strict adherance to the myth of the jedi?

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344020 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: soo maybe weird question? im watching lesson one and Joseph campell says that it is important in modern times to adopt a myth and to try and not counfuse it with other myths so that culture can be established within a group. I wonder how people feel about that especially since some here dont seem to follow the myth of Star Wars very closely?

The myth has a different value for everyone. At any given time time you may find people at different levels of things, Jedi ism and the myth are no exception. You will find people at different levels of faith and practices as well.
Personally - I subscribe to the All Myth or Every myth for everyone. I can find a hero’s journey in any story or myth. I use them to draw what I need. Aka a good Heracles story fires me up enough to find strength when I need it. When I’m scared - a good - Batman does it for me or a reminder that I can take it. Lol
For me - I totally identify with the MANY archetypes present in the Star Wars movies from the beginning to prolly my the very end... when ever if ever that comes.
What makes one follow closely? Is it relative to how we value the myth as a whole or how the individual does? Do we all need the same amount of practice to practice?
This Temple is here to share and learn. Values can be shared and learned as well as actual myths myth is and story’s. One of the secret freedoms to being a modern day Jeddist is that we have ability to choose the level we want to seek, share and serve or not or even any combination of the 3. Hope this helps a bit. My inbox is always open and as always May the Force be with you as you seek it !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 5 months ago #344021 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: You mention other spiritual paths like Christian or whatever, but is there a group for those of us that want to follow a strict adherance to the myth of the jedi?

Here? Not that I'm aware of.

However, if your are truly seeking to follow a monastic path; there are multiple Monastic orders dedicated to Jediism. Unfortunately, due to TOTJO policies on linking to external communities I can't provide direct links to said orders.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344022 by
I dont want monastic... like religious.. I was wondering about mythological, like spiritual.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344023 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Following the Myth

You mention other spiritual paths like Christian or whatever, but is there a group for those of us that want to follow a strict adherance to the myth of the jedi?

Tsst.

I can write anything I want, you can too. Does that make it a "Myth" (in the sort of way that might get alluded to in the IP)

the tale of Jedi in Star Wars is a story, with elements drawn from many sources, and new elements added in perhaps (as with all good stories) but Myth as I'm more or less trying to define it is linked to people it evolves, has a purpose, fills a need, instructs, develops, etc etc.

I suppose there might be some tribe, Basmentus Dwellarus or somesuch that have been raised purely on the tale of Star Wars, and have been perhaps internalised it's meaning as an explanation of all things in the world, but it doesn't seem likely, and (I'm not a big reader of the EU, so catch me if I fall) I don't know that there is a deep enough pool of material exclusively under the brand to support a definitive faith and path for adherents....

Many people here quite enjoy "The Jedi Path" (book) as a "primer" and "thematic teaser" for Jedi-ing, but it is just one book, and (for better or worse) not backed up with much substance of what it promises. You can't actually go to one of the towers, you can't actually learn the sabre forms (or build a sabre) etc etc. I'm confident one or more groups have tried to establish ersatz training regimes to fill that void - but what qualifies them any more than us with their interpretation?

You've sort of got three options here - Buy all the merchanise you can, and take that and only that as the "Gospel" and your source of reference and instruction.
Find someone who has already done that, and accept them as the font of wisdom on the matter.
Do what you want and create your own path, with as much or as little thematic inspiration from Lucas/Disney Jedi as you believe suitable.

Most of the membership here go for the third option, perhaps with the mindset of "A Jedi by any other name..." - meaning, the writings of (lets say) Lao Tzu are as relevant to their path as those of Matthew Stover, even if there are no light sabres.

Edit: More Nonsense -

Think of Earth Jediism as the "Distilled form" - the trappings, the organisation, the weird accessories stripped and just the best parts remain - Courage, Compassion, Clarity, etc (or if you really want to get wild, we can refer to the ToTJO Doctrine) - Focus, Knowledge, and Wisdom

Focus is the art of pruning the irrelevant and pouring the best of your mind into what you are doing.

Knowledge can be acquired by focusing on the task at hand.

Wisdom is the sound application of accrued knowledge and experience through patient, good judgment.

If Star Wars is Pseudoephedrine, Jediism is Methamphetamine ;)
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex, Jake Nislan

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #344026 by
hmm good question! what is the difference between a myth and a story? I think it goes from just story to myth when people make it come alive! King arrthur is a myth because it lives in our minds, right? so does star wars. and even though there are several versions of king authro out there which one is the right one? the oldest one? the koolest movie version? the one you like best? well none of those of course, what matters is what the original said! you cant just reinvent whatever you like and then call it something somebody else made up! that doesnt work!

More
4 years 5 months ago #344027 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Following the Myth

what matters is what the original said! you cant just reinvent whatever you like and then call it something somebody else made up! that doesnt work!

There we will have to disagree... there is nothing inherently "purer" about an original penning of a tale...

You alluded to it yourself

I think it goes from just story to myth when people make it come alive!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #344037 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Following the Myth

Fyxe wrote: ...but is there a group for those of us that want to follow a strict adherance to the myth of the jedi?

In terms of the Abrahamic/Pagan/etc Special interest Groups, then that would be what used to be called a 'Pure Land Jedi' (or something like that?). I'd fall under this category as I don't subscribe to any other sort of religion/spirituality/philosophy/cult. Though I'm pretty sure we don't really do the whole 'Special interest Groups' anymore. At least not officially.

Anyway, back to the point at hand, I think you'd have to better describe what you mean by the 'myth of the jedi'. As I have understood it, 'Jediism' as practices at the TotJO is more to do with the myths and source material that inspired Lucas to write Star Wars rather than the mythology of Star Wars itself.

Though that is not to say that we can't learn anything from the story of Star Wars (particularly the original trilogy), especially when we relate Luke's 'Hero's Journey' to that of our own path and the lesson inferred with that.

I think the main advantage we have as Jedi is that we know our stories and myths are just that. We're not bound by the idea of them being the gospel truth, and that gives us a great deal of freedom in our interpretation of the lessons we can learn from them. It's ok to question things because ultimately we know that these stories are just made up. I personally think that actually increases their value.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi