"Not Serious but Sincere" - or The Romanticisation of Jediism

More
4 years 11 months ago #336600 by Proteus
I'm wondering what went through your head when reading the thread title.

What does that phrase and term mean to you?

Does romaticizing Jediism affect one's approach to it? Can romanticisation make one more serious than sincere?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #336601 by Rosalyn J
Well to me its the difference between 'idealism' and 'realism'

Realism reminds us that we all have this inescapable irreducible rascality

I was half expecting this topic from Maitre

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago #336602 by
To me, it brings to mind a distinction on ones focus. In any community, but especially those with a religious leaning, one can see the more "serious " individuals engaging in (at risk of being offensive) dubious, or even down right performative behavior. I'm not talking about people who behave differently in different settings, many of us do this, it's normal.
I'm talking about when someone only reminds others of their stance or practices, what have you, in relation to others, usually by way of criticism. People whose seriousness is high but sincerity is lacking are the most likely to lash out at peers, lest they themselves should come under scrutiny.

TL;DR- "Serious" people are conspicuously concerned with others, while the "Sincere" keep themselves in check just fine, nevermind the others.

Sometimes being too serious also causes us to view things through an unrealistic lense (seriously, most of the Jedi in the movies with dialogue do not act like real people and much of their behavior is informed by well meaning but bad ideas and we'd do better to learn from their mistakes), and this not only causes us undue stress and anxiety for our inability to measure up to our own expectations, but causes us to still lash out at others for imagined failings and even perceived apathy.

Balance is preferable between the two, but if one feels compelled to choose, I sincerely hope they choose sincerity.

It occurs to me I probably just said the same thing as Ros, but more obnoxiously long winded ^_^U

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #336619 by Proteus
So, what does it mean to not become hung up on seriousness, or romaticizing things? This is assuming that it doesn't mean becoming apathetic of course! What does it mean to lean more toward sincerity? What does this look like?

Also, is this something that can be actively learned here or is it more of a natural growth progression if it is beneficial for being a Jedi?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Proteus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago #336620 by
It makes me think of two quotes.

"Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world" - Miyamoto Musashi

"You can't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive." - Ryan Reynolds in Van Wilder

To me people who take something too seriously fail to see the flaws in it, and everything has flaws. Or they only see the flaws, and everything has beauty too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #336625 by
What exactly do you mean by seriousness? Do you mean conviction? Radicalism? Delusional thinking?

If someone actually believes in star wars Jedi as real individuals and that they are one of that number by some self imposed devine decree from an internet website and as a result commit action against their perceived version of a Sith then that is no different than real life radical extremists today that commit terrible acts in the name of their God.

Driving planes into buildings is horrendous no matter how you slice it but if you believe you are a noble jedi on a divine mission to balance the force by attacking the epitame of evil that occupy that building of sith them who can ever convince you otherwise?
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by .

More
4 years 11 months ago #336626 by Carlos.Martinez3
I often use the word romantic when talking to individuals about things...
when I first saw a Jedi - it was the romance of some one who can actually be calm and smart and open and willing and able to speak to any one. I’ve met Buddhist like this - Mormans- Christians- monks clergy - Taoist- and a whole lot of regular folk who exube character ( for me) worth having. For me - this is the romantic side - the constant balance.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Maria,

More
4 years 11 months ago #336636 by Manu

Proteus wrote: I'm wondering what went through your head when reading the thread title.

Does romaticizing Jediism affect one's approach to it? Can romanticisation make one more serious than sincere?

I compare it to a relationship.

When you are dating someone, you can fall into the trap of putting them on a pedestal. Without noticing it, you build up this idea of the person that is not grounded in reality, and you project outwardly onto this image all kinds of expectations that are unrealistic and counterproductive.

It makes the relationship tense, as one or both members of the relationship are emotionally vested into this projection, and because it is not based in truth, it can only be maintained forcefully.

It is possible that the various rites of passage associated with Knighthood here cultivate that atmosphere of seriousness, and it is possible to play into unnecessary drama, if we forget the rites are metaphorical rather than literal.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Ben, Kobos,

More
4 years 11 months ago #336637 by Proteus

Manu wrote:

Proteus wrote: I'm wondering what went through your head when reading the thread title.

I compare it to a relationship.

When you are dating someone, you can fall into the trap of putting them on a pedestal. Without noticing it, you build up this idea of the person that is not grounded in reality, and you project outwardly onto this image all kinds of expectations that are unrealistic and counterproductive.

It makes the relationship tense, as one or both members of the relationship are emotionally vested into this projection, and because it is not based in truth, it can only be maintained forcefully.

It is possible that the various rites of passage associated with Knighthood here cultivate that atmosphere of seriousness, and it is possible to play into unnecessary drama, if we forget the rites are metaphorical rather than literal.

So far, everyone's responses have been very valuable to me to get a view from all your perspectives, but Manu, what you've said here seems to speak to me the most! Thank you!

Please do continue sharing your thoughts, those who have and haven't yet!

― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

More
4 years 11 months ago #336638 by Rosalyn J
I have enjoyed all the responses.

Manu, you've touched on something that brought another idea to mind: thst of the "black belt". This whole idea that I'm done learning once I get.

For me it has been the opposite. I have done my greatest learning as a Knight

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Proteus, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi