Epictetus' Enchiridion

More
05 Feb 2019 06:13 #333664 by Rosalyn J
Have you read or listened to this work? I've been thinking about it today and I'd like to have a discussion on it. For those of you who haven't heard or read this work, here are some links to audio and text:

Audio:

Text: www.gutenberg.org/files/45109/45109-h/45109-h.htm

For those of you who may have read or listened to it what were some of the more impactful portions?

Do you find yourself going back to it/recalling certain sections?

Are there any things that Epictetus brings forward that you disagree with?

Chaos is the stroke of the paintbrush. Harmony is to stand back and see the painting.-Skryym

Senior Knight, Senior Ordained Minister
Pastor, Temple of the Jedi Order
Teaching Maitre: Alexandre Orion
How Am I Doing , My Commitment
Kyber,Freja Saol-Wasser, Tobias Giesel,and Jhannuzs

Initiate Journal , Apprenticeship Journal , Clerical Journal , Continued Study
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2019 23:09 - 05 Feb 2019 23:25 #333745 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Epictetus' Enchiridion
I dont have time right now but i wanted to mention that Epictetus is possibly my favorite pholilosopher and definitely my favorite Stoic. I am too busy atm but yea i will come back here and comment when i can.

"One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond that is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways"
-Lord Russel
Last edit: 05 Feb 2019 23:25 by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Kobos

More
06 Feb 2019 01:24 #333756 by Lykeios
Replied by Lykeios on topic Epictetus' Enchiridion
Epictetos is one of my favorites as well! Haven't read all of the Enchiridion, but I read his Discourses, which is also great.

"I sae rantingly, an sae dauntingly, sae wantonly gaed he. He played a tune and he danced all aroond below the gallows tree."

"Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man." -Zhuangzi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Kobos