Help: Task management

More
5 years 10 months ago #323121 by Manu
Help: Task management was created by Manu
Hi everyone!

I am currently looking for recommendations on getting organized... what Apps / Systems do you use to get things done?

For context, I am currently supervising a team of 11 dealers, so I'd like something that allows collaborative work and makes it easy for me to follow up on what they are doing.

I am open to all suggestions, from the most basic pen-and-paper solutions to app-based solutions free or with cost.

Thank you everyone!

Note: posted in open discussion as it is not directly related to Jediism or spirituality. Though I suspect getting organized will lead me to inner peace, bliss, and becoming one with the Force lol.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323129 by
Replied by on topic Help: Task management
I'm currently using Todoist Business set up for the "Getting Things Done" workflow by David Allen.

Very simple and elegant interface. Easy to rapidly add tasks and sort them into projects and add due dates with a single in-line text entry.
For example "Pick up the milk @shops next Thursday #shopping" will create a task 'Pick up the milk', add it to the 'shopping' project, label it '@shops' and make it due on whatever date the Thursday after you entered it happens to be. Then you can easily see what shopping you have from the 'shopping' project or you can sort by label to see all the tasks you have @shops.

If you're into that sort of thing, you can accumulate 'karma' for making lists and checking off items and meeting daily and weekly goals or lose 'karma' for letting things get past due. 'Karma' doesn't do anything other than give you a little dopamine fueled boost to help with the old motivation, but you can progress up the 'ranks' to Grandmaster.

Like so many apps it has a (limited) free version and a paid version with additional features. The business version will let you set up a team with a combined 'inbox' and lets you allocate tasks to team members and communicate on individual tasks via comments.
(I swear I'm not employed by Todoist PR department)

I also looked briefly at "Hello Focus" and "Monday.com" as apps/web and they looked pretty good but come with a hefty price tag.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323148 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Help: Task management
I use a day-to-a-page diary (with month planner at the start of each month, and year planner in the front) and eisenhower matrix for determining if it is worth doing at all.

For group activities I use the calendar embedded in most modern email programs - iCal, or outlook calendar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
5 years 10 months ago #323153 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Help: Task management
I use a few apps

I use Google tasks for day to day stuff.
I use Google calendar for longer term plans
I use the 21 days app to build habits
For diet I use a water tracking app and lose it for calories

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
5 years 10 months ago #323353 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Help: Task management
Thank you everyone for your replies :)

I must admit I am negatively biased against pen and paper, mostly because my hand cannot keep up with my mind, no way to "backup" information, and searching becomes a pain.

I am currently testing todoist... it is wonderful! I might settle for premium... the business version seems awesome but the nature of my work does not require me to assign tasks as much as follow up on them.

Thank you Dano, I will be reading more on how to make the most of Todoist now :)

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 10 months ago #323398 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Help: Task management

I must admit I am negatively biased against pen and paper, mostly because my hand cannot keep up with my mind, no way to "backup" information, and searching becomes a pain.

That’s part of the beauty of it – the effort to create the information, and the tendency to “lose” pieces that are not necessary, useful, or relevant, is a really handy natural filter.

Computers have a nasty habit of keeping too much, and you end up thinking it is all important and necessary.

Much like all those photos in your album – 90% of your to-do list is crap.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323423 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Help: Task management

JamesSand wrote:

That’s part of the beauty of it – the effort to create the information, and the tendency to “lose” pieces that are not necessary, useful, or relevant, is a really handy natural filter.

Computers have a nasty habit of keeping too much, and you end up thinking it is all important and necessary.

Much like all those photos in your album – 90% of your to-do list is crap.

That is a brilliant observation, I struggle sometimes with discarding useless to-dos. I tried Bullet Journaling for a while, it helped eliminate distractions and made things more memorable. It also highlighted useless tasks that kept getting postponed indefinitely.

Still, it was too slow to keep up with the pace of my job.

- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi