How to Better Look After Newcomers?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #299040 by
It hasn't been the case for me. Both times it happened it was because they have been busy, which on one hand is understandable, but on the other hand.. it kinda hurt. Then I read someone else having the same issue, and that broke my heart.

Edit: I'm not gonna name names, cause they are both awesome people and had their own stuff going on. It's just an example, and I know that at least one other person had unanswered pm's, so it's why I'm mentioning it.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #299160 by Brick
In one of our PM's Twigga made the following suggestion that I think quite good.

Twigga wrote:

I read your forum post about how to improve newcomers' experiences in TOTJO... The IP is quite "brains heavy", and perhaps there should be a goal setting aspect - that a Participant chooses a goal, and tries it out. That should give folks something to DO with their lives and bodies, so they feel involved; not just something to think about. They may end up writing about it on the forums, be it the "Jedi cookbook" thread, "hurricane martial arts", or a second language speaking group... Or they might build a relationship with their sponsor through it, making them feel more a part of the community.

I'd not focus not on success in attaining the goal, just on setting out to do something, focussing on doing something, and then reflecting on the outcome. It could be a letter writing campaign, meditation, exercising, not swearing, eating better, being nice to strangers, volunteering, spending less, fundraising to donate more to various charities, flossing, cleaning the bathroom, reducing waste, juggling... I really don't think it matters; it should just be something that motivates the participant. The duration should be appropriate to the task, but the length of time the IP programme lasts as a minimum is 60 days? Or it could be two 30 day projects/three 20 day projects... The key is in some reflection on how it went though - for most it will not be a perfect experience - failure will be common - but recognising the success mixed in is good; and how to build on the experience for the future...

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299162 by
Not being facetious, but here's a good place to start: Make your bed every morning when you wake up. Admiral William H. McRaven

At the same time, I like the goal-setting concept, particularly in that it could help the IP feel like more is being accomplished than not. It can certainly drag at times, and it is rather "brain-heavy", which makes progress difficult to notice.

Simple goals (like making your bed) can provide something to build upon, and make one feel more involved from the outset.

Great thoughts Twigga...now, how to incorporate them into an implementable sense that does not pervert the rest of the IP as a whole? For perhaps, the brain-heavy nature of it is its actual essence anyway, and the entire point itself?

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #299167 by Brick

SamThift wrote: Not being facetious, but here's a good place to start: Make your bed every morning when you wake up. Admiral William H. McRaven

I saw this earlier in the week! It's a great point.

I was thinking about what you said earlier Sam, about finding it helpful to discuss the IP with other Novices as they're completing it too?

It reminded me that as I was nearing the end of my IP, some of the knights introduced an 'IP Workshop' in chat. I think they covered a different lesson each week? (my memory fails me) but basically anyone could jump in chat as these sessions were on and have a guided discussion about that particular lesson.

It obviously requires a lot of commitment from the knights running it, but that might be something worth bringing back?

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299173 by

Brick wrote:

SamThift wrote: Not being facetious, but here's a good place to start: Make your bed every morning when you wake up. Admiral William H. McRaven

I saw this earlier in the week! It's a great point.

I was thinking about what you said earlier Sam, about finding it helpful to discuss the IP with other Novices as they're completing it too?

It reminded me that as I was nearing the end of my IP, some of the knights introduced an 'IP Workshop' in chat. I think they covered a different lesson each week? (my memory fails me) but basically anyone could jump in chat as these sessions were on and have a guided discussion about that particular lesson.

It obviously requires a lot of commitment from the knights running it, but that might be something worth bringing back?

Certainly. I would always be game for it. I am feeling like I am "over the hump" in the IP now, at least wherein I have tackled some of those larger "read this" or "watch that" pieces which require some basic levels of committment to myself. Yet, I have not had too much in the sense of kicking my reflections back and forth with others. When I have, I quickly pick up on other parts of the message which others noticed that maybe I didn't, but also on the similar trends of thought that we may collect on a subject. So even now, feeling somewhat content in what I have put forth into my IP journal, I would hardly dismiss a "workshop" or "study group" opportunity, permitting life events allow me to participate.

In a sense, I suppose the threads available in the forum themselves are a good way to achieve this, but threads quickly get lost as more and more are added daily. The chat is a good place, and I have used it from time to time to bounce some thoughts, etc., off of others who have gone before me. That too is rather dependent upon availability to stars aligning to get the right people in the right place without the discussion splintering into 8,000 different ways.

I think I mentioned something in the "What would make the Temple Better" thread awhile back, to the effect of perhaps developing a little "Welcome Center" a tad more. Something with concrete, clear, concise, information to help present what the temple is, what it is not, and how to go about diving deeper without feeling like you are drowning.

I know the FAQ and Doctrine tabs do quite a bit of this...but even a quick "Welcome Video" or a nice pretty PowerPoint presentation, with some cute graphics and a simple list of the basic links a brand new member/guest might find MOST useful in starting along their way. Perhaps even a good solid tab at the top, easily recognizable and identifiable, where once inside one is not bombarded with "brain-heavy" information, but a clear understanding of how to create an account, how to apply for membership, where to go if they are a youth, where and what to contain in their intro post, and the basic steps of the process required to begin the IP ahead of developing an apprenticeship and attaining knighthood. The fewer the words the better. The simpler the message the better. All with the intent of not "losing" new members simply because they couldn't quite figure out where to go or what to do, and when they asked loosely, only mostly got "Check out the FAQs and IP and PM me if you have any questions" responses. Something in the realm of a lobby to the temple, where someone new comes in, and has clear signs pointing them to the chapel and the restrooms.

If it isn't moderately evident yet, I am mostly willing to participate in these efforts, more and more daily...but of course, need to balance my own studies and reflection, without diving into a virtual world which is quite literally bottomless, and ignoring the responsibilities of life, family, work, etc., we all have.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299178 by
Honestly, I love the IP the way that it is. I love that it's brain-heavy. It's one of the main things that attracted me to TOTJO.

I didn't know, though, that there was an IP team and that it was possible to have someone (a sponsor?) check your journal entries before you've completed the IP.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299182 by
Personally, I wish that the Campbell and the Watts was further along in the IP. I don't mind brain heavy, but it starts REALLY heavy.

More
6 years 8 months ago #299185 by Kobos

Nami wrote: Personally, I wish that the Campbell and the Watts was further along in the IP. I don't mind brain heavy, but it starts REALLY heavy.

Campbell and Watts are some mind blowing and complex guys to get. So, I found it best to go through and several times and always remember the order you do them in is irrelevant. I did lesson zero as my last lesson lol ;)

Nami, you have been awesome here I just want you to know I have been humbled by you and am proud to have listened to what you have told us and guided us to do! I hope we won't disappoint.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299188 by

Nami wrote: Personally, I wish that the Campbell and the Watts was further along in the IP. I don't mind brain heavy, but it starts REALLY heavy.

It does say that you can do the lessons in any order that you choose. Remember that you have the freedom to decide which lesson would be the best jumping-off point for you. It doesn't have to be Campbell or Watts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #299190 by
@Kobos Thanks so much. I was really worried that I was stepping on toes or speaking out of place.

@Astera I wanted to do it in order so people reading it could easily see the lessons, so they don't have to come through it to find what they're looking for.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by . Reason: Typos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi