The Spider in the Urinal & The Issue of Non-interference

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #296469 by
I just wanted to add that in extending the paper towel to the spider I would then walk the spider out of the building to the garden rather than leave him on the floor.

Often those that intervene 'to help' (I'm referring here to a number of welfare agencies I deal with through work) do so up to the point of removing someone from a bad situation, but they then fail to provide an environment where that person can thrive. If we shoulder the responsibility of 'helping' we should be prepared to see that course of action through rather than offer half measures and "we'll you're better off than you were".

Perhaps the questions to be asked are:
  • Is help needed?
  • Is help wanted?
  • What help is needed/wanted?
  • Do I have the capacity to provide that help?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296475 by JamesSand
Oh come on! Surely all y'all Edit: Super Cool Dudes /Edit watch Star Trek!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppykquyAUyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mH-L6UCCAE
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #296477 by
Not the dreaded nickname generator! Ok everyone knows that true starship captains never follow the prime directive. So the spider dies for the good of the bowl.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296509 by
First of all, who waits as long as the story author does to help? Why on earth would you let any creature suffer for even a moment? The spider WANTED rescuing... it reached. Who am I to demean it by telling it that it's better off where it is?

It is arrogance to not allow each person the chance to be more. If they're not ready for it... THEY should be the ones to decide that. That moment spent dying on the floor might have been that spider's nirvana for all we know. Any knowledge worth possessing requires a sacrifice of some sort... are we so afraid of death that we can't see the value in suffering for knowledge/truth? Maybe the spider was the happiest it ever had been. Who knows what it experienced?

But putting yourself in the position of a god by judging someone else as "not ready" is an arrogance I hope to avoid owning.

Always offer, never force. Let the student lead themselves.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #296639 by Brick

Reacher wrote: Back to our poor spider bro. Is this analogous to Plato's Cave? I think Plato would say no - that his theory of reality is valid and comparing spider bro to the cave is apples and oranges. I think fellas like Sun Tzu, Confucius, and Mencius would see some echoes of analogy, though. They might see spider bro as it relates to the harmony of the other things around it. Interference might upset that balance. Or, they might see him as discordant from what other 'like' creatures generally are and move him as well. Whichever they choose, they would choose not from the 'objective' idea that spiders don't belong in urinals, and that getting peed on is degrading. They would choose from what they believe is the most harmonious version of subjective reality. Lots of thought buildout for essentially two choices, eh? I contend that this explains some of the differences between Jedi and Sith - you might see two folks who achieve the same degree of excellence, work equally as hard, and possess similar skillsets. Those attributes and personal drives simply stem from different conceptions of reality.

Thank you for such an in depth response. Once again you've given me a lot to think about. I love the picture by the way. Most of what I have to say in response to your post revolves around the first half and I think ties into what I want to say in our discussion in your Nature of Reality thread, so I'll respond to it there, I hope thats ok.

Though I must say that I really liked how you related all of this to the differences between Jedi and Sith and their understanding of reality :).

Reacher wrote: And if interference does occur, it'll be because it is in our interests to interfere. That is an entirely different ball of wax that would need its own thread

I agree that this probably does require its own thread, but I'd be really interested in hearing your take on this.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

More
6 years 8 months ago #296642 by Brick
I'd like to thank you Snowy for presenting (as you so often do) a view point I had not considered. I understand your point but, playing devil's advocate here (as I so often do) :laugh: :

Snowy Aftermath wrote: First of all, who waits as long as the story author does to help? Why on earth would you let any creature suffer for even a moment?

How do we know that the creature was suffering?

Snowy Aftermath wrote: The spider WANTED rescuing... it reached.

How do we know it WANTED rescuing? Yes, it reached for the towel, but we have no way of knowing if it knew that action would result in it being moved from the urinal.

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Who am I to demean it by telling it that it's better off where it is?

Who am I to demean it by telling it that it's better off somewhere else?

Snowy Aftermath wrote: That moment spent dying on the floor might have been that spider's nirvana for all we know.

Or it might have been the worst moment of its existence, we'll never know.

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Any knowledge worth possessing requires a sacrifice of some sort... are we so afraid of death that we can't see the value in suffering for knowledge/truth? Maybe the spider was the happiest it ever had been. Who knows what it experienced?

Exactly

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296657 by

Brick wrote: I'd like to thank you Snowy for presenting (as you so often do) a view point I had not considered. I understand your point but, playing devil's advocate here (as I so often do) :laugh: :

Snowy Aftermath wrote: First of all, who waits as long as the story author does to help? Why on earth would you let any creature suffer for even a moment?

How do we know that the creature was suffering?

It may not have been. And the suffering of other spiders is also certainly worse, and other spiders have suffered infinitesimally compared to this spider. But regardless of the level of suffering, it has made the decision to latch on. Now what? Suppose I open the door and it becomes a lion and eats me. Suppose I do the same and it becomes a butterfly and harmlessly flies away. Suppose it carries a vaccination to save the world from all suffering, suppose it carries a new plague. Sometimes we kill our teachers, sometimes we harmlessly fly away, sometimes we save the world, sometimes we kill it. Sometimes we're overwhelmed or sick and die in the same place we landed. It's not my responsibility to predict the future. But when a thing is ready to have it's eyes opened, I will certainly be willing. It's what I became when released from my own urinal ;)

Snowy Aftermath wrote: The spider WANTED rescuing... it reached.

How do we know it WANTED rescuing? Yes, it reached for the towel, but we have no way of knowing if it knew that action would result in it being moved from the urinal.

And a human being has no way of knowing what is outside the cave until it gets there. Some folks can't handle life outside The Matrix. But we have no right to pronounce whether a person is capable of handling it or not for them.

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Who am I to demean it by telling it that it's better off where it is?

Who am I to demean it by telling it that it's better off somewhere else?

You aren't making that call though, the spider has by extending it's leg and grabbing on. To not ever have had the chance would be the real crime though. Seekers gonna seek, compassionaters gonna compassionate. Savvy?

Snowy Aftermath wrote: That moment spent dying on the floor might have been that spider's nirvana for all we know.

Or it might have been the worst moment of its existence, we'll never know.

Like how many licks it takes to get to the center. *nods*

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Any knowledge worth possessing requires a sacrifice of some sort... are we so afraid of death that we can't see the value in suffering for knowledge/truth? Maybe the spider was the happiest it ever had been. Who knows what it experienced?

Exactly

Basically this comes down to letting a seeker seek. It's not our job to decide who should be allowed to follow their pursuits and whether or not they are ready. Potential immediate death is always a possibility. You could always get creamed by a bus you didn't see coming too and not even get a chance to follow your dreams.

What happens when you step off that curb is the burden of freedom.

Ain't it grand?
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #296676 by
Maybe i am too simple for these kind of discussions but i would think that a spider can not survice on Pee alone so i would remove it and put it in the garden , even if that is against the spiders wishes who maybe is looking forward to his own demise, if spiders can think but then , when spiders can think then what the heck is he doing in the toilet , probably an accident , so again i would take action

As for us humans , we get into a lot of trouble , sometimes that is cummulative and we loose track of what got us into trouble , tricky territory.I would insist every heroine addict to be admitted to a clinic if it were not for that tricky little thing called free will. So free will can stop you from doing the right thing if you think the right thing is to treat addicted people.

In my opinion , to know when to act and when not to act is one of the hardest things to achieve , sometimes even its damned if you do , damned if you don't.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #299146 by
Driving my 7-year-old daughter to hockey the other day, she started the million questions game, asking me about what I will loosely summarize as "respect for all life." It was not incredibly unsolicited, we had other talks here and there over the past few months about how to be respectful to animals, appreciate the hard work of nature and all that's in it, to allow us the sustenance we need to survive: from plants, animals, clean water, all of it. I tossed my question at her a week or so ago about whether clouds were alive, or rainbows even, and towards the end of that she accepted that notion that just because something is not completely like us, it does not mean that it could not be something entirely that we simply do not understand. So it has been a developing discussion lately, this recent bout came out of no immediate example though.

It was a long talk (the drive out through traffic to the hockey rink can range between 30-45 minutes), and we covered everything from the ethics of a hunter, to the dedication of a farmer, and the general attitude of respect and appreciation we should exhibit for all life forms, whether we recognize them or not.

Later that day, after getting home, she was in the backyard playing with the dog, and I was sitting out on the front porch enjoying the approach of evening. She came running out through the garage excitedly calling for me, and quickly related some events as follows. She had been playing (probably cooking little buckets of dirt into a thanksgiving worthy buffet, and noticed a small beetle struggling in the dog's water bowl. Thinking about what we had talked about that morning, she took a small twig and gently allowed the beetle to latch on, then lifted it from the water and took it to a spot in the grass she had noticed other such bugs to be living. She said the beetle looked very happy, and danced around a bit before running off. She was very proud to have done something kind for another being. I am very proud of her too.

Naturally, I quickly thought back to this thread.

This morning I had another further thought, based upon this thread's discussion, my daughter's experience, and a comment from a senior member elsewhere recently about accidentally stepping on a snail. It made me wonder whether we can actual "intervene" in nature at all, or whether that is simply the course of how nature works entirely?

We often consider intervention in the case of the spider in the urinal, the beetle in the water bowl, or the snail on the pathway, as unique moments where we have a decision to make about how to interact with the universe. Are they important? Sure. Do wrong decisions have negative impacts of our interconnected universe? That we cannot know. Do good decisions have positive impacts on our interconnected universe? That we cannot know either. We cannot designate something as negative or positive, for it is only from our perception and understanding of the moment within which we notice the ability to make a decision where we interpret our own understanding of what we INTEND our impact to be. The actual consequences of our actions or inactions will never be understood to the full extent possible by us, because we can only speculate what WOULD have happened had we done or not done otherwise.

To further the incredible impact of our existence with nature, we generally only view our "interference" or not as that which we have upon what we identify as "living" beings: plants, animals, and such. We seldom recognize our interference on the rest of the universe at all.

Say for instance that you are walking peacefully along a high mountain lake shore, enjoying and respecting nature and all the life abound surrounding you. You bend over to pick up the perfect rock, and with perfect fluid motion, skip it out in a long string across the glass surface of the lake. The ripples settle, the lake returns to glass, and you continue your path down the shore.

Did you not just interfere with nature?

Us being here interferes with nature, but nature also interferes with us. We cannot hold ourselves responsible for every minute action we ever commit any more than we should feel remorse for every inaction or failure to act when an opportunity was in front of us. All simple is in the universe because it is as it would be given the innumerable interactions and interconnections we may have throughout every single moment of every single day.

Perhaps we should find that poor stone, apologize to him and his family and friends from whence we plucked him, and apologize the the bugs who could no longer hide near him for shelter from birds and became their meal instead. Or perhaps we should accept the recognition and thank yous due to us from the small family of fish whose eggs found the perfect niche within which to grow next to the stone you had so immaculately placed at the bottom of that lake on purpose.

Take the spider from the urinal or not. Both actions are perfectly reasonable, and within the design of the universe.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi