I'm Nakis, and I'm open for questions

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288108 by Nakis
Hello,

I'd like to jump in on this fun little thing, feel free to ask me questions!

I am 28, until July. I served for 4 years in the USMC, I'm currently a financial controller at a small company. I was the token recruit in my training platoon to have Jedi on my dogtags. I am currently engaged to a lovely woman who has helped center me and take care of her son from a prior marriage. I was raised Southern Baptist, I almost went to seminary at Southwestern Theological Seminary but changed plans when my family moved to Wisconsin when I was 18. I consider Jediism to be more like a protofaith in some regards, that everyone follows the Force, we just call it different ways. My all time favourite author is Sir Terry Prachett.

I'd love for the chance to answer questions that don't simply just turn up in the normal day to day chats!

Licensed Clergy Person
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Nakis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288116 by
What's your favourite Terry Pratchett book and why is it Wings because of the tree frogs?

More
6 years 10 months ago #288119 by Nakis
I don't think I've actually read Wings. I will need to.

My favourite is Hogsfather. I read a lot of Terry Prachett growing up, but the endcap of Death's statement on justice and lies really hit home. Terry Prachett never "sorted" life and it's mysteries out for me, he taught me to read the chaos. I know a lot of books sit there and try to make it make sense, whereas he acknowledge absurdities and explored why it's absurd and why it's accepted or expected. I loved his writing style, and now that I'm a father, the Guards novels started to really hit home after Vimes had a son as well.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288128 by

tzb wrote: What's your favourite Terry Pratchett book and why is it Wings because of the tree frogs?

I can't love this enough.

Shortest question in this thread. Why Jedi?

More
6 years 10 months ago #288129 by Nakis
Shortest questions sometimes have the longest answers.

As noted above, I view it as sort of a proto belief system in that I feel that there is something out there, I just don't feel right in trying to nail it down in so much as a specific religion-religion. In terms of various religions, I observed when I was younger that there were many similarities and it felt more and more right as I got older that perhaps they are merely how certain societies reflect the great unknown, the Force that guides them. As I grew and observed interactions with various people and their stated religions, I grew away from organized religion as a construction and wanted something that is more organically organized, that grows with the people. Jediism, in particular offers an organic growth while supporting the idea of questioning who we are, what we are doing, and where we are. It's not "Do this forever" but constantly moves and grows with the people in it. The reliance on discussion and intelligent reasoning has always been something of a draw for me as well. The Star Wars aspect and what the movies showcased originally planted the seed that grew, and while I mark the movies as favourites, I can see how the thoughts and ideals of the fictional Jedi mirrored my own.

Short answer: Because it fits.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi