Optimus Prime as a Jedi?

More
7 years 1 month ago #274897 by AetherWinds
The more I learn about Optimus Prime and the more Transformers I watch, I realize that he has many traits of a Jedi, as perceived in the doctrine. Here are some quotes from this character to give you an idea (some spoilers) :

“Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.” This is pretty much his motto. He defends peace and rights everywhere he goes. He may be a fighter, but he always fights for justice and for those who cannot fight themselves.
“Sometimes even the wisest of men and machines can be in error.” Optimus is always willing to learn and admit mistakes. He is very humble despite his position - I'd say he is humbled by his position really, as he has a huge responsibility to lead well and defend Cybertron/Earth against Unicron/Megatron.
"I humbly request your ear, Lord Unicron." Unicron is too powerful right now, and everyone knows it. Optimus knows the limits of himself and his team, and attempts to negotiate the future of Earth as peacefully as possible.
"Above all, do not lament my absence, for in my spark, I know that this is not the end, but merely a new beginning. Simply put, another transformation." Optimus doesn't cling on to life as he knows it - he understands what might be deemed the "force" of the Transformers universe, and sacrifices himself without fear, knowing his team is safe and that he will live on.
I have watched many series, and have maybe watched Optimus lose his cool ~4-5 times, sometimes due to mind control or other influences instead. His integrity is outstanding, and he keeps a cool head without losing his sense of compassion.

Here's something to discuss: Would you, given this information or already knowing about Optimus Prime, consider him a kind of "Jedi" of the Transformers universe? What other book/film/tv characters do you know of which uphold many Jedi qualities, and so could be good role models or ways to explain the Jedi path outside of Star Wars?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #274906 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Optimus Prime as a Jedi?
There are many people and characters in this world, both fictional and real, who have similar traits to 'Jedi'. But that is because Jediism itself (and indeed the Jedi of the films) is based from other sources.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi