Why Talking is Lying

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266102 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Why Talking is Lying
our brains are hardwired to use language so at this point we hardly even have much choice about some level of articulation happening; you could likely raise a generation of humans without language and they would still vocalize, even if it were not well organized

i would expect to see a new language emerge within a few generations

(i dont think such an experiment would be legal but its an interestin line of thought)

the world is complex: language is possibly the most potent tool we have to sort out that complexity in a cooperative way

doing so effectively requires "honesty" at least in the sense of accuracy

if the process we use understand reality is not accurate - or accurate enough then it will fail, and we wont be able to structure our societies or govern our lives

i think its fair to say words or concepts or labels ect are simplifications, but thats what we need them to be; we need to simplify the complexity of reality so that it can be understood and organized

i mean even our basic perceptions work this way: rightthis very moment youve got all kinds of sounds and smells and fluctuations of temperature and pressure air currents to which youre paying little or no attention

all that stuff thats going on around us, our immediate space actually extends out to infinity in every direction but we couldnt possibly grasp all of it and so we narrow things down to a screen in front of our faces

to focus on one is to exclude the rest

most things are so alike to certain other things that they get lumped together, and thats totally fair

our brains evolved to identify patterns because ONLY patterns are useful

whats a pattern?
its something that repeats, basically; if it didnt repeat, it would be a one-time thing and we wouldnt be able to use it in an organized way

so we identify patterns and that allows us to act and interact with reality in ever more sophisticated ways

every snake is different from every other snake but its also similar to every other snake, so we identify the pattern/have the category of snake and then we divide it as appropriate

thats not a deliberate mis-reprepresentation, its just that we're not capable of any better at this time in our evolution

i guess this is a useful reminder not to mistake our labels as the be all end all of reality- dont mistake the finger for the moon/the map is not the terrain, but id say that, for the most part, we're being as accurate and honest with our categories as we can be, and we are accurate enough to create the internet and walk on the moon, which are seriously impressive accomplishments

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #266103 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Why Talking is Lying
Being awake probably means to discriminate (asserting identity to things), as part of perception, and so language is just a formalized effort to do so in a narrow band across a shared medium. It's fun to explore how to overlay emotion with language by adding layers of energy to expression outside of word meanings, things like the differences in sound or body expression perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi