What does being a member of the group "Jedi" mean to you?

  • Trisskar
  • Trisskar's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 11:11 #261571 by Trisskar

Khaos wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Passion- I want X

Strength- What traits, skills, etc, do I need to build as a prerequisite to getting what I want.

Power-Putting those traits, skills, etc, into action into your sphere of influence to get what you want.

Victory- I really shouldnt have to explain this. Its achievement, getting what you want.


I really love this! What a great way of putting the code in understanding Khaos B) May I quote you?


Well, you just did :laugh:

Of course.


haha! Smartie Pants XD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Kyrin Wyldstar
  • Kyrin Wyldstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 14:17 #261589 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Khaos wrote: I dont know any atheist Satanists,so I can make no comparison. The Satanists I do know do not believe in any deity I am aware of, so the atheist tag seems superfluous..

That said, Satanists as a whole seem more hedonistic. As to where Sith are not.

Getting what you want doesnt mean doing what you want.


Actually there are quite a few theistic Satanic organizations.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism

Hence the reason for my qualification. I did not think you believed in such things as “The Force” as a sentient entity. I was actually the one that insinuated the Jedi path was similar to others paths like Taoism. So I was simply trying to clarify that for Sith as well. So your right, I made the simplest of comparisons so that we may delve deeper and I can appreciate the distinction you bring up between Sith and Satanism so enough said there.

You say that Sith share a common culture but that only seems to go as far as any one particular Site. I take it from your comments that other sites may have different locally shared cultures. If that is true it would seem the neither the Sith or the Jedi have a universal shared culture and either path follower can be whatever he/she wants to be to a great extent. Unless of course there is some sort of multi-site council or something?

As for the individual Sith path and its philosophy of “getting what you want”, I’m assuming you mean material things? Are those typically short term or long term or some combo of goals? For example short term goals would be something like getting a new car, or changing jobs or getting that raise? Or are they longer term like paying of a real estate purchase, becoming president of your company, or achieving a 6 figure salary by retirement? Or am I mistaking what you mean by “Getting what you want?”

You mention that Sith do not sit around and discuss philosophy – good and evil etc. But I wonder if there are any boundaries in how you pursue “what you want”? For example can you use deception, coercion, even sex or other such things in your pursuit? Is vengeance a valid pursuit? I’m just curious on this point, you know, how close real Sith are to the stereotype and all. Just a point of observation, if these things are off the table as far as achieving your goals it would seem that even though you don’t talk about morality you do use it – or is it “any means available” to achieve your goals?

Lastly you say that Sith do not seek self-improvement but is that really the case? Of course Jedi seek a spiritual self-improvement or a character improvement through their training but don’t Sith also seek self-improvement only in a material sense? If I am understanding correctly in their pursuit of “What they want” they are trying to improve their station in life. Better job, better money, nicer house. I would assume this would extend to relationships as well? Maybe they seek a spouse or something like that? Aren’t these all things that improve themselves only from a material standpoint?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Taavi
  • Taavi's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 14:40 #261593 by Taavi
I haven't been here that long--still kind of new. But, since I first encountered the concept of the Force back in 1977, it has been my answer/explanation for how I view existence. Being a member of a group of Jedi's is thrilling to me because I have the opportunity to meet others of like mind. That being said, it is also exciting because I have met so many people with many different views on what it means to be a Jedi and what the Force is. I love diversity.

Which this is strange, over the weekend I was looking over the other Jedi websites out there and I found it very discouraging. Everyone thinks that their approach to being a Jedi or Jediism is the most correct and the others have it wrong. I don't think this is a healthy view. We should be more like Sufism. There are so many different schools of thought, and so many different ways to approach it, that many Sufis are often initiated into multiple schools. And some schools are actually an amalgamation of several different schools. I think this is how our Jedi community at large should behave. We should be more accepting and welcoming of other Jedi schools of thought. There should be comaraderie between the different Jedi groups out here. A sense of respect for each one's individual contribution to the greater identity that is Jedi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Trisskar
  • Trisskar's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 16:53 #261618 by Trisskar

Taavi wrote: Which this is strange, over the weekend I was looking over the other Jedi websites out there and I found it very discouraging. Everyone thinks that their approach to being a Jedi or Jediism is the most correct and the others have it wrong. I don't think this is a healthy view.


While I agree the members of the community as a whole have no real to say who's way is better than the other. I do feel it is important for groups to establish a touch of pride in their work. There are alot of....toxic....groups out there that should be warned against. At some point in the game it is important for a group to stand up and say "Hey. This place is legit and here is why."

Also have to keep in mind...A sense of superiority is found in any religion or group minded party. It is human nature to feel ones own way is the better way. Just how it is :) I feel it does one better to just accept that it is there and will remain there....than to say "Its not healthy and we should do it this other way instead." Because then....you are just doing what they do ;) haha

Just something to think about. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Goken
  • Goken's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 17:01 #261619 by Goken

Taavi wrote: Which this is strange, over the weekend I was looking over the other Jedi websites out there and I found it very discouraging. Everyone thinks that their approach to being a Jedi or Jediism is the most correct and the others have it wrong. I don't think this is a healthy view.


Well, if they didn't think they did it better they would just be part of one of those other groups. As long as they don't have a negative attitude towards those other groups there is nothing wrong with believing that your way is the better way. Perhaps I should rephrase, the way that is better for you and your members specifically, not necessarily better overall.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 17:06 #261621 by Manu

Trisskar wrote: Also have to keep in mind...A sense of superiority is found in any religion or group minded party. It is human nature to feel ones own way is the better way. Just how it is :) I feel it does one better to just accept that it is there and will remain there....than to say "Its not healthy and we should do it this other way instead." Because then....you are just doing what they do ;) haha

Just something to think about. :)


To add to this line of thought, trying to eliminate the pride of religion is a futile exercise. As narrated by Alan Watts, the pursuit of becoming "the most humble" simply becomes another form of pride.

Instead, a more useful exercise would be to acknowledge such pride exists, and use it to your advantage. The pride of beng a Jedi can help you at times to push through a tough moment in life and go the extra mile. And at the same time, you acknowledge that you are not exempt from falling to the more classical consequence of pride, which is to be completely closed to learning something new.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Kyrin Wyldstar
  • Kyrin Wyldstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 18:32 - 17 Oct 2016 18:44 #261634 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Adder wrote: So therefore the nature of its individual application and minimal dogma gives the impression of incoherence in the Jedi path, but in fact to me its the best vehicle for growing and exploring applied spirituality and pragmatism without unnecessary borders or boundaries. Unless you disagree with the doctrine, or cannot understand the contextual meaning inferred by its relationships - in which case it might be impediment to ones growth!!! We're each different though, and I don't think the doctrine is meant to be a limiting influence, but a supporting one.


These are interesting thoughts. Do you really feel that it is just the "impression of incoherence" or actual manifest incoherence that many justify in some way or another? This is what I am trying to work through in this thread. What is the common thread in each of our individually diverse paths that binds the philosophy of "group Jedi" together and keeps it from being incoherent? If you ask any self professed Jedi what it means to be Jedi you will get a different answer and often times a radically different one. Ask about a philosophy such as "The Force" and find that answer to be even more diverse.

Taavi mentioned the Sufi's and how diverse their individual groups can be. So much so that many Sufi join multiple groups. However if you study the Sufi structure each group rallies under a single grand masters teachings who in turn can trace a direct lineage back to Muhammad himself. Interpretations of the teachings vary but the pedigree and the core philosophy from which it arises are evident and every student of that master follows those teachings as law. It seems to me that most religious organizations can outline a similar structure - however it seems this is not true with Jediism with one exception - the movies themselves - which, as I described in my opening post, were never meant to create a spiritual following. Because of this it seems that most Jedi have become islands unto themselves with no lineage to trace and no core philosophy to rally around.

Take the doctrine at this very temple. I have studied it as all apprentices have and as I mentioned before I personally have rejected parts, modified parts and replaced parts. Now I know not all do this and for those that dont I commend them. But in the end, for me, this process seems to have left me disconnected from that core component of the temple as well as the philosophy of the authority that created the doctrine. It seems to me that to be a member of this temple one should be an adherent to the letter of the doctrine and a follower of the teachings of the creator(s) of that doctrine. We all start out in the same place with the IP training but then as we travel that path some take up the gauntlet and others do not. By the time we have reached the AP we are on radically different training paths and many have dispersed into their own highly divergent paradigm philosophies that do not necessarily reflect temple teachings. Of course that is not the case for all and I cant speak as a Knight and what they experience because I have not reached that level. I am just speaking from my own humble experience and standing at this time.

and I know the training is designed so that individual growth and opinion can be encouraged but I wonder if those that go through the training and find themselves in a place where they do not agree in part or at all with the doctrine can truly call themselves "Jedi of the TotJO"? For some reason "the powers that be" allow those of us that do not accept the doctrine as written and the teachings as verbatim to continue on here in training. But we are really "just Jedi" not a particular brand of Jedi called "Jedi of the TotJO". We are orphans with no pedigree that have been "adopted" here for a season, so to speak, and eventually many will likely move on to other pursuits. I have felt this disconnection from the temple for these reasons and I wonder if anyone else felt it or if I was missing some thread that tied us together in another way.

Maybe this is by design? If it is by design is seems to me that it leaves the path impotent and incapable of evolution unless that elite class of "Jedi of the TotJO" The true Knights of THIS temple unify and move forward as one voice to evolve the doctrine and the teachings and take those things to the world so that some of the wisdom in this temple may be brought to the masses. And maybe that is even a prerequisite to become a knight here? (like I said, not sure since I have not gone that far) And as for those of us that are "Just Jedi" we would be relegated to the fringes of this movement, still fighting the good fight in the wilderness as Ronin while upholding our version of Jediism but holding no master and no cause other than ones we deem for ourselves.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 18:44 by Kyrin Wyldstar.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 20:54 - 17 Oct 2016 20:58 #261667 by Adder

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Adder wrote: So therefore the nature of its individual application and minimal dogma gives the impression of incoherence in the Jedi path, but in fact to me its the best vehicle for growing and exploring applied spirituality and pragmatism without unnecessary borders or boundaries. Unless you disagree with the doctrine, or cannot understand the contextual meaning inferred by its relationships - in which case it might be impediment to ones growth!!! We're each different though, and I don't think the doctrine is meant to be a limiting influence, but a supporting one.


These are interesting thoughts. Do you really feel that it is just the "impression of incoherence" or actual manifest incoherence that many justify in some way or another? This is what I am trying to work through in this thread. What is the common thread in each of our individually diverse paths that binds the philosophy of "group Jedi" together and keeps it from being incoherent? If you ask any self professed Jedi what it means to be Jedi you will get a different answer and often times a radically different one. Ask about a philosophy such as "The Force" and find that answer to be even more diverse.


I find a lot of labels in common usage are not very well orchestrated as unique identifiers of something in particular, and instead tend to be a bit vague, duplicating or overlapping other concepts by some margin. So when I was confronted with the doctrine, I had the opportunity to look at how these terms sit against each other in regards to how I think a pragmatic moral framework might work best. By doing this I was able to refine the meaning of particular elements so that they were able to together be coherent. Not to say it was incoherent to begin with.... but it did need some refinement for me - not because of its structure so much, but more because either 1. I was not informed enough about the true meaning of a concept, or 2 the concept itself in popular usage was not resolved to a high enough resolution for my effective application. So its the former for me, as where I found incoherence to be an impression formed by the complex of my own weak areas of knowledge plus the weakness of the vernacular or flowery blurred concepts which otherwise could be seen to overlap.

Because of those things I'd guess different Jedi give different answers because the doctrine is meant probably more as a tool rather then a statement so much, and so different Jedi might be working on different elements of it at different times which they are using to balance their view and conduct - so when quizzed you get a fragmentary perspective of them in the 'now', rather then a recitation of a doctrinal creed which might be miscast as a statement of truth. That's sort of how I view it. So when a Jedi progresses, they acquire experience in this application in real practical personal terms, and then the next level is to be able to share awareness to understand and assist others as required in their own progress.

So your example, the Force; I think a Jedi might well be trying to develop a relationship with this concept in experiential ways and so need to embody it with that progress. A descriptive static doctrine might help form a group identity but would IMO work against the whole point of it being about the focus to progress. So it's not about being a group at the cost of supporting members progress. What is 'TotJO' but just a platform for all Jedi to focus and share in.... their progress. Group identities matter pretty much nothing under normal circumstances. So with the group focus on member progress, the members focus not on the group but their progress, and so when asked about the group's doctrine correctly refer to their progress
:blink: :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 20:58 by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kyrin Wyldstar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Khaos
  • Khaos's Avatar
  • Guest
17 Oct 2016 21:40 - 17 Oct 2016 21:44 #261673 by Khaos

Actually there are quite a few theistic Satanic organizations.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism


I am aware, I was simply speaking of the Satanists I know, and they have never put the atheist in front of the Satanic part.

Hence the reason for my qualification. I did not think you believed in such things as “The Force” as a sentient entity. I was actually the one that insinuated the Jedi path was similar to others paths like Taoism. So I was simply trying to clarify that for Sith as well. So your right, I made the simplest of comparisons so that we may delve deeper and I can appreciate the distinction you bring up between Sith and Satanism so enough said there.


Actually, I really wouldnt know one way or the other what each individual Sith thinks about the Force. Not a hot topic of discussion.

You say that Sith share a common culture but that only seems to go as far as any one particular Site.


Nope, I meant several. Of course, those are the ones I am a part of, and in those I have risen to a leadership role due to well, experience, and evidence. I lead by example, or so I like to believe.

I take it from your comments that other sites may have different locally shared cultures. If that is true it would seem the neither the Sith or the Jedi have a universal shared culture and either path follower can be whatever he/she wants to be to a great extent. Unless of course there is some sort of multi-site council or something?


No, not different locally shared cultures. I did not mean to imply that at all. Their simply isnt he number of Sith sites as there are Jedi sites. I mean, nowhere close. The only one that is wildly out of line is "Sith Academy" and I have delete or banned them from any other site I am a part of, which if I am not mistaken, are the only other ones left, certainly, the only ones turning out real results from training. There was many more in the past, but they dwindled. I had a lot to do with that. Those and a few others from my....."Graduating class" for lack of a better phrase.

As for the individual Sith path and its philosophy of “getting what you want”, I’m assuming you mean material things?


Hmm, well, yes, I mean material things, but you also in the process gain other things that are tangible, but not material.

Newfound confidence, is tangible in ones demeanor for example. However, it is not material. Still, in the process of achievement and success, one gains said trait.

In getting what you want, other things fall into place smaller disciplines must be enforced.

My core passion is martial arts.

When I started, I was 230 lbs. I am now at 159 lbs.

This was due to several factors that came up in the "Strength" aspect of the methodology.

Diet became important because of performance.

Mat time is the only way to improve. Increased sessions led to more cardiovascular effort, and physical exertion.

Supplemental strength training( Weights, Stretching, Calisthenics,etc)

As such, I am stronger, and much more physically fit, but not for their own sake, but as a by product of my passion to achieve more skill, and knowledge in the martial arts.

"Discipline, equals Freedom"-Jocko Willink.

Another by product was of course feeling better, due to good nutrition and taking better care of myself. Which is tangible, especially given my bio markers, but not exactly material.

Martial arts itself imparts many lessons and traits that are not material, but tangible.

Leadership skills. Teaching. Communication, etc.

Are those typically short term or long term or some combo of goals? For example short term goals would be something like getting a new car, or changing jobs or getting that raise? Or are they longer term like paying of a real estate purchase, becoming president of your company, or achieving a 6 figure salary by retirement? Or am I mistaking what you mean by “Getting what you want?”


The method does not change, only the timeline. Its for both short, and long-term goals.

You mention that Sith do not sit around and discuss philosophy – good and evil etc. But I wonder if there are any boundaries in how you pursue “what you want”? For example can you use deception, coercion, even sex or other such things in your pursuit? Is vengeance a valid pursuit? I’m just curious on this point, you know, how close real Sith are to the stereotype and all. Just a point of observation, if these things are off the table as far as achieving your goals it would seem that even though you don’t talk about morality you do use it – or is it “any means available” to achieve your goals?




There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Its not for me to decide how you skin it. This is the where personal accountability, responsibility, and ownership of ones life and choices, as well as there repercussions come in. When I say its not discussed, I mean just that.

Lastly you say that Sith do not seek self-improvement but is that really the case? Of course Jedi seek a spiritual self-improvement or a character improvement through their training but don’t Sith also seek self-improvement only in a material sense? If I am understanding correctly in their pursuit of “What they want” they are trying to improve their station in life. Better job, better money, nicer house. I would assume this would extend to relationships as well? Maybe they seek a spouse or something like that? Aren’t these all things that improve themselves only from a material standpoint?


I really couldnt care less to argue semantics. Its crap like this that wastes a lot of valuable time for me and others, and further space for more interesting, productive discussion.

Life, is a finite thing. Time, is precious.

When typing a paragraph, it is good to ask if this a valuable expense of ones limited time.

This , were it too come up in a Sith site, would be ignored.

In fact, the few times these type of threads pop up, they remain empty.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 21:44 by Khaos.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Kyrin Wyldstar
  • Kyrin Wyldstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
18 Oct 2016 21:28 - 18 Oct 2016 21:31 #261777 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Adder wrote: I find a lot of labels in common usage are not very well orchestrated as unique identifiers of something in particular, and instead tend to be a bit vague, duplicating or overlapping other concepts by some margin. So when I was confronted with the doctrine, I had the opportunity to look at how these terms sit against each other in regards to how I think a pragmatic moral framework might work best. By doing this I was able to refine the meaning of particular elements so that they were able to together be coherent. Not to say it was incoherent to begin with.... but it did need some refinement for me - not because of its structure so much, but more because either 1. I was not informed enough about the true meaning of a concept, or 2 the concept itself in popular usage was not resolved to a high enough resolution for my effective application. So its the former for me, as where I found incoherence to be an impression formed by the complex of my own weak areas of knowledge plus the weakness of the vernacular or flowery blurred concepts which otherwise could be seen to overlap.


I can understand what you are saying here. From my stand point I was not trying to imply that the doctrine itself was incoherent due to inconsistency, redundancy or contradiction. We have a tendency to see things as component parts. It is a product of our corporeal existence. Often times this leads to the illusion of contradiction. So it is important that we understand this and not fall into the trap of replacing the intent of a doctrine with its component parts. We need to look beyond the component parts on the surface and seek out the deeper meanings and hidden messages of the whole. Like life, we need to see the components only as distinct manifestations of an otherwise innate single paradigm that we ascribe our lives to.

I think the doctrine as written is a comprehensive document from an “action” point of view. Where I feel it is lacking is in its cohesive presentation of Jedi philosophy. I think this leads to an ill-defined or otherwise fuzzy interpretation of that innate paradigm. Because of that I have dismantled it and attempted to reassemble it by replacing or modifying or expanding or more succinctly defining parts to better encompass the Jedi worldview. I think every one of us goes through this process to one extent or another. For me, the problem in this lies in the fact that I feel if you strip too much away there seems to be nothing left. No foundational core component that everything else is built upon. This has been my quandary. There seems to be no single paradigm that “binds the universe together”? ;) I have been left with a conglomeration of quickly thrown together pieces but no core. LOL, I don’t know, maybe I misplaced it somewhere!


Adder wrote: Because of those things I'd guess different Jedi give different answers because the doctrine is meant probably more as a tool rather then a statement so much, and so different Jedi might be working on different elements of it at different times which they are using to balance their view and conduct - so when quizzed you get a fragmentary perspective of them in the 'now', rather then a recitation of a doctrinal creed which might be miscast as a statement of truth. That's sort of how I view it. So when a Jedi progresses, they acquire experience in this application in real practical personal terms, and then the next level is to be able to share awareness to understand and assist others as required in their own progress.


I can see what you are saying here. It goes back to my comments on the fragmentary perceptions of our reality. However I must ask you, Do you think that any one Jedi’s individual “progress” as they acquire experience through time will eventually lead to some common discernible single truth? And in this I don’t really mean an absolute truth, as I think in our current reality that is something we can never obtain. What I am talking about here is an objective truth about the true nature of “The Force” as near as we can obtain. This would be the thing that I would consider should be that most basic underlying philosophy that would bind all Jedi together in a common core. And I think that if "The Force" is an actual existent substance (i.e. a thing that has properties) there has to also exist truth about its nature. And in that fact, some that have not found that truth, can be wrong about the nature of it.

As we each progress we all struggle to define what that true nature is and we debate and discuss endlessly. However eventually some, maybe not even all, but at least some would eventually come to that place where they genuinely begin to comprehend that truth and that it is truly an incomprehensible thing. These are the ones that have come to that place where true wisdom begins and they no longer have to discuss, they just nod at one another in silent comprehending agreement as they watch the machinations of the world around them. Those are the ones that have not arrived at a place but have actually "touched The Force" and have truly begun their journey. Everything that came before was just “preparation” for that journey.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just overthinking this. :laugh:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 21:31 by Kyrin Wyldstar.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: RexZero