For Your Consideration... On Debate

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259579 by
We are welcome to take things personally, and we can also become very emotional about certain topics, particularly those that impact our personal sense of well-being. We are human, and to expect any different would remove the very reason to have these conversations in the first place.

However, when taking things personally, we should be prepared for others to do exactly the same. We can hold certain topics very close to our hearts, but we should still be able to separate the topic from the people discussing it. Disagreeing with someone's opinion does not have to equate to disrespecting them or harboring negative feelings (for long).

In theory, we are all here to educate each other. Individually, we can choose what information presented here should be incorporated into our paths and what should be left by the wayside. The goal should be to present information in a way that can be used or discarded by others without attaching our emotional well-being to it. "You can lead a horse to water..." and all that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259580 by

MadHatter wrote:
Finally, you say that you cant help but to take these things personally as they are a threat to you or those you love. How? How is disagreeing with your views a threat?

You're conflating, which is exactly why I stress nuance and distinction.

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing.I disagree on quite a great deal with others and I don't feel threatened by their disagreements. Disagreeing isn't the issue.

The issue is that certain ideas, such as the idea that trans women don't have a right to use the women's bathroom, threaten my very existence (since the most probable time for someone like myself to be assaulted or killed would be while trying to use a public bathroom). As such, if someone were to post a topic about trans people using bathrooms and asserted that trans women don't have a right to use the women's bathroom, I would feel as though my very right to exist were in question. My sense was that people may not be aware of this and therefore I started this thread to begin a discussion on how there's a certain luxury to being able to discuss and debate topics without feeling as though your very right to exist, to have your existence respected is being challenged. That was purpose of this thread; not a place for you drag me into a personal vendetta lesson, not a place for you to bring up something which I asked to be dropped because I wasn't successfully having a respectful discussion on it (and yes, I was struggling with being respectful just as much as anyone else might have been).

EDIT: Grammar, removed the name of a member and generalized it so as to not put that person on the spot, added a clarifying remark in parenthesis to acknowledge my part in the issue in context.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259581 by Rosalyn J
So... I'd like to join!

Hi,

I am a minority on several levels (race and gender being just two). I get what you are saying Jamie, sort of. I think that is why people who have a certain experience within society tend to group with others who have that same experience. It takes a lot of courage to step out and take a risk to engage with others that might not agree with you. I do it every Sunday. Sometimes I think that its worth it, sometimes I do not.

People have opinions about the poor, about African Americans and about Women that I do not share. They adopt different political frameworks that I find personally harmful. But everyone is given that liberty. I am allowed to believe what I do about myself and about the people that surround me. They are allowed to believe what they do about me.

I purposely don't get into debates or discussions surrounding heated topics because they are hot bottons for me. I have never seen a winner in say, a political debate. I have only seen people with their feelings hurt. I have, when asked, or when I feel its appropriate, spoken my truth. I have let others speak theirs. That is all I can do.

Maybe this will help?
Lao Tzu wrote

Whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon oneself. The Master does his job
and then stops.
He understands that the universe
is forever out of control,
and that trying to dominate events
goes against the current of the Tao.
Because he believes in himself,
he doesn't try to convince others.
Because he is content with himself,
he doesn't need others' approval.
Because he accepts himself,
the whole world accepts him.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , ,

More
7 years 5 months ago #259582 by MadHatter

Jamie Stick wrote: The issue is that certain ideas, such as the idea that trans women don't have a right to use the women's bathroom, threaten my very existence (since the most probable time for someone like myself to be assaulted or killed would be while trying to use a public bathroom). As such, if someone were to post a topic about trans people using bathrooms and asserted that trans women don't have a right to use the women's bathroom, I would feel as though my very right to exist were in question. My sense was that people may not be aware of this and therefore I started this thread to begin a discussion on how there's a certain luxury to being able to discuss and debate topics without feeling as though your very right to exist, to have your existence respected is being challenged. That was purpose of this thread; not a place for you drag me into a personal vendetta lesson, not a place for you to bring up something which I asked to be dropped because I wasn't successfully having a respectful discussion on it (and yes, I was struggling with being respectful just as much as anyone else might have been).

Jamie it's not as if I can't get the concept you are reaching for here. Ok as a bisexual male with libertarian views I have been ripped apart from the left and right wings. I have been torn apart by the LGBT community with people bashing me for conservative leanings or saying that bisexuals don't exist. And yea it hurt and felt scary and it felt as if the one place I was supposed to turn to be safe was shanking me in the back. But you know what I learned after coming here?

I learned that often people being that way is a sign that THEY are hurting or have some sort of inner insecurities that cause them to lash out. That nine times out of ten it's not about me or their view of me but their own fears and their inability to deal with them. That is when I learned to stop taking it personally. There is a quote that I do not know the author but I think fits here. "You’ll Worry Less About What People Think of You When You Realize How Seldom They Do".
What I mean by that quote is that most people are so wrapped up in their own worries and fears that they do not even entertain the idea of it impacting you. They never intend to cause a seconds discomfort they are just putting their own feelings out there. Hope that makes sense.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259583 by
I'm realizing that after all of my effort to frame this conversation as an argument or a debate, it was not meant to be either. Rather, I think your original post, Jamie, was meant to highlight that certain topics will never be simply about the issue, but also the very personal feelings that inevitably come to the surface. Some conversations require emotion because to us, they are just too important.

I will likely never have to worry about being told I am not welcome in the bathroom I know I belong in, but I can still try to understand how even talking about this particular issue could make you feel threatened. It is easy for me to say "leave your emotion out of it" or "just ignore them", but that is belittling the real point you are trying to make. To you, this is an emotional issue and it cannot be ignored. To you and others who experience the reality of being afraid every day, it is also likely a conversation that has a sense of urgency to it. I might not know that feeling, but I can try to understand why you would feel that way.

I guess the real trick is learning how we can share our feelings and try to be compassionate, but also be able to fiercely debate about things we disagree on. :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259585 by
Madhatter,

If I might, I can sort of see where Jamie is coming from, and I don't think she meant to insult you with the "indirectly."

I've been very open about the fact that I grew up in foster care, essentially I was adopted. Sounds like things were similar with your stepfather. So let's look at it from that perspective. Let's say a baby is born of a Jewish mother. That baby is Jewish. His direct bloodline culture is Jewish. But that baby is adopted by a Catholic family. He's raised catholic, practices catholicism, and has an autographed collection of pope paraphernalia. So Catholic becomes his indirect culture. It's not the one of his ancestry, but is still the one he practices, much like someone who converts. However, Judaism would be that person's direct culture. I don't see direct or indirect as meaning to insult, but to distinguish. I could be wrong, and Jamie could correct me if I am.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259586 by

MadHatter wrote: Jamie it's not as if I can't get the concept you are reaching for here. Ok as a bisexual male with libertarian views I have been ripped apart from the left and right wings. I have been torn apart by the LGBT community with people bashing me for conservative leanings or saying that bisexuals don't exist. And yea it hurt and felt scary and it felt as if the one place I was supposed to turn to be safe was shanking me in the back.

Your ability to sympathize doesn't mean you can invalidate my experience, though I appreciate the attempt at sympathizing. Furthermore, while I acknowledge bisexual erasure is real and believe you when you say it hurts, it is not the same as feeling like if I met a fellow Jedi in the streets that I would be in danger because they don't believe I have a right to exist. That is what I'm speaking to, that specifically. I left Christianity because I didn't feel safe there for the very same reason though the threat was more imminent since I saw them in person on regular basis whereas I have yet to meet any of you face to face. Right now there are people at this Temple I'd be afraid to meet in person because of where they stand on a few different issues and I don't think I'd go to Jedi gathering if they were planning to attend because I wouldn't feel safe there.

MadHatter wrote: I learned that often people being that way is a sign that THEY are hurting or have some sort of inner insecurities that cause them to lash out. That nine times out of ten it's not about me or their view of me but their own fears and their inability to deal with them.

That may be true, but it doesn't make the danger any less real. A person who believes trans women are disgusting and should be "put down like dogs" because they are secretly struggling with their own sense of gender or questioning their sexuality or whatever is no safer than the person who believes all trans people belong in maximum security psych wards simply because they hate trans people.

MadHatter wrote: "You’ll Worry Less About What People Think of You When You Realize How Seldom They Do".
What I mean by that quote is that most people are so wrapped up in their own worries and fears that they do not even entertain the idea of it impacting you. They never intend to cause a seconds discomfort they are just putting their own feelings out there. Hope that makes sense.

Jesus Henry Christ, what a condescending load of crap (not you, the quote).

People can still hurt you regardless of their intentions. Perhaps some of the most egregious violence done to trans people on daily basis is done without the intent to hurt us, but the impact is still that it hurts us. Intentions are virtually meaningless if the impact is negative. My intent to educate and build understanding pales in comparison to the hurt I caused you in the process.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259588 by MadHatter

Jamie Stick wrote: Your ability to sympathize doesn't mean you can invalidate my experience, though I appreciate the attempt at sympathizing. Furthermore, while I acknowledge bisexual erasure is real and believe you when you say it hurts, it is not the same as feeling like if I met a fellow Jedi in the streets that I would be in danger because they don't believe I have a right to exist. That is what I'm speaking to, that specifically. I left Christianity because I didn't feel safe there for the very same reason though the threat was more imminent since I saw them in person on regular basis whereas I have yet to meet any of you face to face. Right now there are people at this Temple I'd be afraid to meet in person because of where they stand on a few different issues and I don't think I'd go to Jedi gathering if they were planning to attend because I wouldn't feel safe there.

I am honestly sorry you feel that way and can only say that I have never seen anyone say a thing that would indicate they wish anyone actual harm. But that doesnt mean anything really as I have not seen all the conversation you've had on here.

Jamie Stick wrote: That may be true, but it doesn't make the danger any less real. A person who believes trans women are disgusting and should be "put down like dogs" because they are secretly struggling with their own sense of gender or questioning their sexuality or whatever is no safer than the person who believes all trans people belong in maximum security psych wards simply because they hate trans people.

But what it does do is paint a differing context to a persons words in a debate or conversation. It gives a differing light on why they might be seeing things the way that they do. That is important to keep in mind. Further I must say that stating that one does not believe that I can be bisexual is in no way a threat to my person. Ignorant maybe. Misinformed and callous? Sure. But not a threat to my person. At least I do not see it that way and cant understand how it could be.

Jamie Stick wrote: Jesus Henry Christ, what a condescending load of crap (not you, the quote).

People can still hurt you regardless of their intentions. Perhaps some of the most egregious violence done to trans people on daily basis is done without the intent to hurt us, but the impact is still that it hurts us. Intentions are virtually meaningless if the impact is negative. My intent to educate and build understanding pales in comparison to the hurt I caused you in the process.

But does it? I have learned that my feelings in the grand scheme of things mean next to nothing. The things that made me mad or worried ten years ago are forgotten. But how many lessons did I miss out on because I let emotion blind me?

Knight of the Order
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by MadHatter.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259589 by

MadHatter wrote: But does it? I have learned that my feelings in the grand scheme of things mean next to nothing. The things that made me mad or worried ten years ago are forgotten. But how many lessons did I miss out on because I let emotion blind me?

I think you're thinking too small. I'm not talking about words. Words hurt, yes, and my example with you was over words but I'm thinking about how I may go to the hospital and be in very real danger there. They may not intend to cause me harm, but because of ignorance and foolishness within the healthcare system I could be denied care, misdiagnosed, prescribed the wrong medication, subjected to involuntary psych eval, etc. In their minds, I'm sure most of them believe they're doing good and their intention is help me, but they could kill me or cause me to end up in a psychiatric facility without access to a lawyer or some sort of advocacy.

More
7 years 5 months ago #259590 by MadHatter

Jamie Stick wrote:

MadHatter wrote: But does it? I have learned that my feelings in the grand scheme of things mean next to nothing. The things that made me mad or worried ten years ago are forgotten. But how many lessons did I miss out on because I let emotion blind me?

I think you're thinking too small. I'm not talking about words. Words hurt, yes, and my example with you was over words but I'm thinking about how I may go to the hospital and be in very real danger there. They may not intend to cause me harm, but because of ignorance and foolishness within the healthcare system I could be denied care, misdiagnosed, prescribed the wrong medication, subjected to involuntary psych eval, etc. In their minds, I'm sure most of them believe they're doing good and their intention is to help me, but they could kill me or cause me to end up in a psychiatric facility without access to a lawyer or some sort of advocacy.

Being denied care for any serious medical situation is illegal and I do not think most hospitals would do it. Misdiagnosis and bad scripts are a risk for anyone can you please expand on how your risk is greater? A psych eval and involuntary holding are not only rare but highly illegal unless you are a proven danger to yourself. I mean such an event would be exceeding rare no?And not to mention highly illegal.

Knight of the Order

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi