Man ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #236794 by
Replied by on topic Man ...

OB1Shinobi wrote: if you are a cancer then dont you feel a moral obligation to kill yourself?
or are you special? are you the one human being in the whole species who isnt cancer?
if you dont kill yourself, arent you obligated to finding a way to kill the rest of us?
because thats how you deal with cancer

do you think cancer ever complains about the fact that it is cancer?

do you think cancer sees anythig wrong with being cancer - ever says "holy shit we're cancer man someone needs to get rid of us FAST!"
lol
im guessing NO

this idea that we are cancer is not wise and its only shallowly clever
its not even your idea - someone fed you that idea and you liked it because it feels righteous and gives you a chance to point your finger"

LOL whoa man, that's a little harsh don't you think? Are there really any original ideas... really? Don't be so self righteous like you have all the original ideas and you are so much more enlightened than everyone else, dude.

In any case, no I don't think cancer thinks it needs to kill itself or it is bad. And I also did not say that it necessarily needed to be destroyed. (In fact I gave no opinion on that) Its natural behavior is to eventually destroy itself by destroying the host it has latched onto. Is cancer bad for doing what it was designed to do? Does cancer think it is evil? Probably not. In fact from its point of view it might consider itself some sort of self sacrificing entity that is providing the benefit of culling the weak from the herd, so to speak.

But you are right, I was probably a bit harsh in my description of mans recent behavior. I should have said humanity is behaving in a similar manner to what a cancer would, not that we ARE a cancer. And just as Carlos says, we have the ability to move away from that behavior and change our ways. If we do not we, like cancer, will eventually destroy ourselves.

Because we have the self aware ability to recognize our own shortcomings and correct them I do give mankind a great deal of credit. I'm sorry if I did not convey that accurately earlier. I think we are just as amazing as a species as we are flawed. I even delight in that fact. We have done awesome things. and we do an amazing amount of good. I don't think we are a disease as your former idol Mr Smith convinced you of. You see the difference between you and I is that (by your own confession above) you buy into concepts wholly and completely until something better comes along and convinces you otherwise. I do not do this. I am a critical thinker and try to evaluate everything with an objective mindset. Just because humans may exhibit some similar behaviors as a cancer today does not mean we get to jump to the conclusion that we are evil and a no good virus that is irredeemable and needs to be eradicated. I never said that and I would appreciate it if you did not put words into my mouth.

I'm glad that you are passionate about subjects like these. I understand that you as well as a lot of other people care. I care as well. If I didn't care I would not be in this thread discussing these things with you. I think we have the capacity for amazing accomplishments but we also have the capacity for nearly unbounded destruction. That is inherent in our nature and we should never be led to believe we must suppress or eliminate one side of that nature in favor of the other. Instead both sides should be something to be celebrated not condemned. We are perfect in our imperfection. However we must learn to balance both sides of our nature so that in as many cases as possible the greater good emerges. We have unlocked awesome power in the last 100 years. It would be a shame to use that power to destroy ourselves just because we could not find the restraint to use that power beneficially and sparingly. That's all I'm really trying to say.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #237191 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Man ...

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: if you are a cancer then dont you feel a moral obligation to kill yourself?
or are you special? are you the one human being in the whole species who isnt cancer?
if you dont kill yourself, arent you obligated to finding a way to kill the rest of us?
because thats how you deal with cancer

do you think cancer ever complains about the fact that it is cancer?

do you think cancer sees anything wrong with being cancer - ever says "holy shit we're cancer man someone needs to get rid of us FAST!"
lol
im guessing NO

this idea that we are cancer is not wise and its only shallowly clever
its not even your idea - someone fed you that idea and you liked it because it feels righteous and gives you a chance to point your finger"

LOL whoa man, that's a little harsh don't you think?

LOL, NO, im not being harsh

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Are there really any original ideas... really?

maybe there are and maybe there are not, but certainly there is a big difference between accepting every trite little cliche that happens to be trendy at the moment, with really looking into a topic and fitting together as much of the full scope of relevant information as one is able

up to this point in the conversation, i believe you have been doing the first, and I am asking you to do the latter

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Don't be so self righteous like you have all the original ideas and you are so much more enlightened than everyone else, dude.

did you just say "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?" ??? lol thats awesome

well then I AM RUBBER AND YOU ARE GLUE AND WHAT YOU SAY BOUNCES OFF OF ME AND STICKS RIGHT BACK TO YOU!!

and i will raise you a "NEENER NEENER NEENER!"

and i know i am not more enlightened than EVERYONE else...

:P

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: But you are right,

DUUUH! B)

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I was probably a bit harsh in my description of mans recent behavior. I should have said humanity is behaving in a similar manner to what a cancer would, not that we ARE a cancer.

then you would still be wrong, and you are still not really thinking about what your'e saying

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: And just as Carlos says, we have the ability to move away from that behavior and change our ways. If we do not we, like cancer, will eventually destroy ourselves.

what exactly, specifically, are YOU doing that is causing your or anyone elses destruction?

what am I doing that is causing my own or anyone else's destruction?

is it you and I who need to change our behavior? are we the harbingers of doom for the whole species?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Because we have the self aware ability to recognize our own shortcomings and correct them I do give mankind a great deal of credit. I'm sorry if I did not convey that accurately earlier. I think we are just as amazing as a species as we are flawed. I even delight in that fact. We have done awesome things. and we do an amazing amount of good. I don't think we are a disease...

finally lol
thank you
i dunno but earlier, when you said that we are a cancer, i kinda got the impression that maybe you did actually think that we are a disease

i mean, you called us a disease lol

but now that you have explained that you were saying something earlier that you dont really believe, we can move this conversation forward, if you want to

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: ... as your former idol Mr Smith convinced you of. You see the difference between you and I ...

is this really THE difference between us? are you sure?

i think youre about to say something else that will collapse if we really look at it lol

i understand that it felt good to say it, just like the other cliches youve been spouting up to this point, but it looks to me like youre not really thinking about what youre saying

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: is that (by your own confession above) you buy into concepts wholly and completely until something better comes along and convinces you otherwise.

putting aside whether or not i actually do this (in the way that i think youre implying) let me ask you something: did you know that evolution is "just" a theory?

now, i am totally and completely convinced that life on earth evolves, and has been evolving for as long as there has been life on earth

but you know what, if some new information comes along that explains the diversity of life in some new and more convincing way, i will drop evolution hot rotten extinct potatoes

we call that "learning" lol

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I do not do this.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: ...what it has really done is turn mankind into a cancer on this planet.... And like any cancer, if the body (nature) does not decide its no longer beneficial and destroys the infestation itself, we (the cancer) will eventually...

OB1Shinobi wrote: ....something better...

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: ...you are right... I should have said...

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I am a critical thinker and try to evaluate everything with an objective mindset.

ok good

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I think we have the capacity for amazing accomplishments but we also have the capacity for nearly unbounded destruction. That is inherent in our nature and we should never be led to believe we must suppress or eliminate one side of that nature in favor of the other. Instead both sides should be something to be celebrated not condemned.

now at least you are speaking in a way which acknowledges that "we" are not just one single thing

i wonder if you do actually believe that the part of ourselves which likes to rape and pillage and torture and commit genocide really is something that should be celebrated

or am i detecting another cliche?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: We are perfect in our imperfection.

is this objective analysis or poetry?

i like both btw

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: However we must learn to balance both sides of our nature so that in as many cases as possible the greater good emerges. We have unlocked awesome power in the last 100 years. It would be a shame to use that power to destroy ourselves just because we could not find the restraint to use that power beneficially and sparingly. That's all I'm really trying to say.

i am glad that you saved the best for last - this was a really smart and fair sentiment, and i absolutely agree with you

honestly this was really good

in this last quote you do an excellent job of walking the line between various bits of information in a way that, "original idea" or not, comes across as insightful but also genuinely personal and socially constructive

i know i gave you a bit of a hard time, its not JUST because i want to be a jerk :P

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 1 month ago #237216 by PatrickB
Replied by PatrickB on topic Man ...
Was that a men . My own race ! seeing that video made me thing on a other factor the vegetarian's . What they should have done with the earth . An anyway , I think many human was vegetarian since human exist . But the carnivore is sure here and it is a way of life and probably man went to far .

A carnivore now a day have more information about choosing the relationship with his planet . In this video it shows how a man became a monster of inventing and doing his bliss . But it took aliens to rather stop the guy or taking over the planet . :blink: this video is very difficult to see and to explain it , because it ressemble the earth .

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #237262 by

PatrickB wrote: Was that a men . My own race ! seeing that video made me thing on a other factor the vegetarian's . What they should have done with the earth . An anyway , I think many human was vegetarian since human exist . But the carnivore is sure here and it is a way of life and probably man went to far .

A carnivore now a day have more information about choosing the relationship with his planet . In this video it shows how a man became a monster of inventing and doing his bliss . But it took aliens to rather stop the guy or taking over the planet . :blink: this video is very difficult to see and to explain it , because it ressemble the earth .

I agree , this video does not show our good sides just an idea of how bad is looks now , but there are good sides Patrick lets not forget the good we can and will do and not give up on this planet yes , as for vegetarians , its a choice to eat meat but for some even the only thing there is to eat , and animals eat animals , so i dont feel guilty for eating animals but i do feel awfull about the bio industry , its appaling how we treat our food ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #237436 by
Oh man, Obi.. your gonna make me break out the quote machine arent ya. ok fine, lets do this thang.

Actually I just have a few comments about your last post and let me just say up front that I have really enjoyed throwing the ball back and forth with you in this thread. You are insightful and humorous and have never taken anything personally. I really appreciate that we can have a conversation like this and keep things on that level. (Unlike others we encounter if ya know what I mean.. nudge nudge.. :laugh: ) (JOKING!)

Kyran wrote: Are there really any original ideas... really?

Obi wrote: maybe there are and maybe there are not, but certainly there is a big difference between accepting every trite little cliche that happens to be trendy at the moment, with really looking into a topic and fitting together as much of the full scope of relevant information as one is able

up to this point in the conversation, i believe you have been doing the first, and I am asking you to do the latter

No I really haven't. I know it may seem that way and that may be due to the fact that ideas are hard to get across on a post board sometimes. I understand all the nuances of society and complex interactions and capabilities of our species towards both sides of the spectrum. I was just trying to illuminate one particular behavior that I feel we as a species manifest. I used metaphor and simile in that description and you took it a bit to literally. I think mankind exhibits (has exhibited) some self destructive behaviors in the way we approach this planets resources and other life.

That is not to say we are not constantly trying to correct those things and be better. On the contrary I think we are. I saw a documentary the other day that described the decline of the cheetah species due to over hunting them for their coats. However those very same hunters came to realize that they were destroying a species population and have now turned around started an organization to preserve and rebuild the very population they used to hunt. That's pretty amazing I think.

That's just one example but I think we need so many more like that, so the question remains - will we be able to pull our heads fully out before we "blow ourselves up/irrevocably modify our environment to the point it no longer sustains us"? I think that remains to be seen.

Obi wrote: well then I AM RUBBER AND YOU ARE GLUE AND WHAT YOU SAY BOUNCES OFF OF ME AND STICKS RIGHT BACK TO YOU!!
and i will raise you a "NEENER NEENER NEENER!"
and i know i am not more enlightened than EVERYONE else...

LOL this made me laugh. So we agree that neither of us is more enlightened than the other. Sorry if I came off that way, I was just trying to put on my best dramatic speech :laugh: - intended tone on a post board is.. meh... :dry:

Kyrin wrote: And just as Carlos says, we have the ability to move away from that behavior and change our ways. If we do not we, like cancer, will eventually destroy ourselves.

Obi wrote: what exactly, specifically, are YOU doing that is causing your or anyone elses destruction?
what am I doing that is causing my own or anyone else's destruction?
is it you and I who need to change our behavior? are we the harbingers of doom for the whole species?

Me Specifically?
I sometimes don't recycle like I should, I drive a car on hot days instead of taking public transport or riding a bike, I use the electricity generated by the coal plants, I don't get involved in the fight for animal rights, I buy GMO and non organic products because they are more convenient, I spray pesticides and chemicals on my lawn that kills all the spring plants bees depend on for life, I'm complacent in the cutting down of the rain forests because its easier to ignore it than get involved. I don't vote or get involved in politics in any way because I don't want to take the time to understand the issues our nation or this planet faces today, Its easier to let someone else worry about it.

The list goes on and on. And I'm not saying that I or anyone else am guilty of all or even most of these things but we are all guilty of some of them. I'm also not saying that as a species we don't work to change these things or that many of them are not some of the most complex issues we face. But what I am saying is the beginnings of change for any of these things starts with the individual.

Kyrin wrote: is that (by your own confession above) you buy into concepts wholly and completely until something better comes along and convinces you otherwise.

putting aside whether or not i actually do this (in the way that i think youre implying) let me ask you something: did you know that evolution is "just" a theory?
now, i am totally and completely convinced that life on earth evolves, and has been evolving for as long as there has been life on earth
but you know what, if some new information comes along that explains the diversity of life in some new and more convincing way, i will drop evolution hot rotten extinct potatoes

we call that "learning" lol

Please tell me you did not just say "Evolution is just a Theory"??!! Your not serious right? Evolution is "just a theory" in the same way that Gravity is "Just a theory". Do you think they might disprove gravity someday as well?

In laymans terms a theory is a hunch or a guess about something. This is not the case in scientific terms. A hunch or a guess is called a hypothesis in the scientific community (not a theory). People who don't understand this distinction sometimes dismiss scientific ideas saying "it's just a theory". In fact this is a common ploy of misdirection among Creationists who very commonly assert that evolution is just speculation when, in actuality, from a scientific point of view, evolution is a robust proven explanation for how life came to be that is based on proven reproducible fact.

When scientists speak of the theory of gravity or the theory of evolution, they don't mean that these are random untested ideas that someone came up with after too many beers. In scientific terms a theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

To think that someday the Theory will be dis-proven is not the process of "learning", its superstition.

Obi wrote: i wonder if you do actually believe that the part of ourselves which likes to rape and pillage and torture and commit genocide really is something that should be celebrated

Actually Yes I do, but not in the way you would black and white "straw-man" it into this conversation. Our aggressive emotions are just as much a part of us as our passive ones and they serve us just as well. It is in the balance of both sides of our nature that we find true peace and joy, not the eradication of one side in favor of the other or in allowing one side to run amuck and dominate.

'Kyrin" wrote: We are perfect in our imperfection.

Obi wrote: is this objective analysis or poetry?

Poetry, Duhh! ;)
Its a poetic description of the ideas I just described above about the balance of our duality - just my opinion BTW and my personal way of succinctly describing it.

Obi wrote: i know i gave you a bit of a hard time, its not JUST because i want to be a jerk

I get that and like I said at the start of this I appreciate it. These sorts of discussions serve one of two purposes, at least for me. They serve to either reinforce beliefs and opinions I have by forcing me to defend them or in the face of an arguments complete collapse they serve as a vehicle to evolve or change those beliefs and opinions. By having to describe things in great detail we get to ferret out holes and inconsistencies in our beliefs as well as really shine a light on what we "think" we believe to see if it is real or just so much fluff.

Thanks man. B)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi