Who wants to live forever?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214108 by
This is a split off from a discussion in the science thread about space exploration. This topic seemed very interesting but not at all related so I split it off. I put it here because I thought it might get less science related and more philosophical.

Rickie wrote:

our advances in medicine and science will make personal immortality accessible

I hope your right.

there is ample evidence that our capabilities are getting closer and closer every few years,

I believe your right and maybe faster than we believe possible now.

the question is eventually going to be "who gets it, at what price, and who doesnt?"

Personally I don't want us to get to a point where we can live forever. Every path that I see that leads there isn't really what I'd call living. Either we live longer but with constant health problems, are able to transfer our consciousness into machines, or are able to live longer at the expense of the lives of others. None of these options appeal to me.

Thoughts?

P.S. I might have cut part of Rickie's response off. Sorry Rickie.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214111 by
Replied by on topic Who wants to live forever?
I'd would consider it an option. If it gave me the opportunity to: learn, grow mentally, morally and spiritually, and help improve our human condition I think I'd take a shot at it.

Go this is what you cut...no offence taken

When we can I pray our wisdom on how to answer the question grows at a greater pace than our ability to make it happen.

Wisdom more evolved than technology being the key for me.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214112 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Who wants to live forever?
I have no interest in living to 150 or whatever science/medicine would like us to.

First reason, this planet gets enough of our crap already, we don't need to make the situation worse and increase the strain we put on it.

Second reason, for me lengthening life so much devalues it... why bother making something of yourself, or cherishing the time you have with your family and friends, if you know you 'have the time'?

Last reason (that I can think of right now).. who's to say that this extra life will be worth living? We may live longer, but there's no guarantee that extra life will be comfortable to live.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
8 years 4 months ago #214132 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Who wants to live forever?
A few years back I used to think that I would do anything to be able to live forever. The idea of death, of having limited time, was all utterly terrifying to me and I simply could not understand those people who say "Why would anyone want to live forever?"

Now, I've come around to the way of thinking that life would be meaningless if it was eternal. The short time that we have makes every moment precious. And death is arguably one of the most fundamental and important experiences of life...from a Jedi point of view if you don't die, you're missing out on...well, everything really.

"And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life."
"Death, yet the Force."

I'll still admit to finding the idea of death a little scary, but the idea of not dying is also now equally scary.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, , Loudzoo

More
8 years 4 months ago #214183 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Who wants to live forever?
I think human minds could handle it if human bodies could. We'd just keep on going and you'd have much greater opportunity to learn more lessons, make more mistakes and experience new things. Which might be an important point about 'new' things... how much memory can our brains hold!? If we get so much we might forget the old stuff meaning we just eventually cycle through the same types of things so we can experience them as 'new'!!!

As I guess we'd notice the loss of older memories a lot more if we lived for hundreds of years - unless there is some massive storage capacity which we just need to work out how to unlock. Important fragments of memories for example could serve as a scaffold for how our 'imagination' might fill in the blanks (like the road material, wind direction, etc), and if we could learn what they were we might be able to have more, more accurate memories longer. It might even be how it works now for all I know.

I'd do it if it was on offer, as it's easy enough to get out of it if I changed my mind.... just because it would be something new :pinch:

But seriously, technology will mitigate the loss of memory to a large extent. Even me now thinking back about my past my memories are informed by photographs I have. Those pics give me important reminders which help me remember other details.

At the end of the day our mind has a relationship with our body, and our body has a relationship with the world - its how you manage those things in the now which matters.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214185 by

death is arguably one of the most fundamental and important experiences of life

Maybe but I'm in no hurry to find out. :) :laugh:

More
8 years 4 months ago #214188 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic Who wants to live forever?
What i belive is that when we die, we live on.
We never actually die, we are vibrations, our bodies are just shells. And i belive that we live on, forever.
However if we keep our memories after we pass on is something i've always been intrested in.
From what i have read, the only documented people who could keep their memories after dying was the nacaals, or the ascended masters. Their existence are stated in the emerald tablets of thoth i belive.. Their existance haven't been proven yet though

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214190 by
I feel like, at this point in my life, the only reason that I would want to live forever (or at least a really, really long time) is to see all the cool stuff that will happen later. Like what if we do encounter aliens in a few hundred years? Achieve fusion to a degree which can actually provide clean, limitless energy? Interstellar travel? One of Mars's moons is supposed to eventually break up and spiral into it and give Mars a ring like Saturn. That's supposed to happen in a few million years. I'd like to see that. Have the time to travel to every country and learn all the world's martial arts. Stuff like that.

But, as I said before, I don't think it's worth it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214193 by
For me, the jury is out. I think I understand why death is necessary. But, I also feel like oblivion is a lot to take in.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214198 by OB1Shinobi
time goes fast

youth goes fast

life is pretty awesome if you can really live it

i dont believe that death makes life valuable any more than i believe that a car that doesnt work makes cars that do work more valuable - it is life that makes life valuable, imo

i also dont believe in any after life - it may be that there is one, but my understanding is that the human psyche exists as a condition of being a biological organism - take away the biology, and if there is anything left (and thats a very big "IF") it is not at all what we know ourselves to be now

i think its probably like blowing out a candles flame: where does the flame go?

nowhere - it just doesnt exist anymore

maybe theres some cosmic unity which is sublimely better than any other possible state of being

but i rather enjoy this adventure, and i know i dont have time enough to do half of the things i would like, and maybe i would get tired of it eventually, but id like to have the option of going on until i do get tired of it, and if that sublime cosmic unity exists, it will still be there for me when im ready

however, i do not much like the idea of an elite class being allowed immortality while the poor are denied it - the kind of tyranny that an intelligent cadre of wealthy, immortal beings could achieve in a few hundred years is pretty frightening if you spend some time really thinking of it

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi