What would be in the temple?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205455 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What would be in the temple?
Some ideas...

inside;
- a few small discussion rooms obviously
- 1 or 2 larger rooms for larger lectures, tai chi etc
- a temple/chapel designed specifically for suitable acoustic and lighting
- library (for real books & artifacts (old rare relevant stuff))
- music production/recording studio
- wifi free (shielded) anechoic chambers for deep meditations
- fully equipped gym + padded floor space for martial arts, gymnastics
- indoor swimming pool (heated)
- first aid room
- a couple of immersive projection rooms, like L3's Simusphere for example, for training

outside
- level cleared field/s (archery, medivac LZ, etc)
- zen lake, for kayaking, sailing, diving, swimming & generally reflecting :)
- forested areas w/ some rocks and small watercourses
- zoned & dispersed simple accomodation
- bush walking/running track
- bush cycling track
- skidpan, driving circuit
- airstrip?
:silly:
LOL 'show me the money'!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Adder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205457 by Alexandre Orion
For as grand as is the idea of a Jedi Temple complex based on the Epicurean Communities (which became Christian monasteries by the 5th century A.D.) with the 21st century amenities mentioned by everyone above, the first and foremost thing that one would hope to be in the Temple would be "Jedi". A whole library full of books, discussion/conference rooms/chapels, meditation area and indoor-outdoor dojo/training facilities would be just very simply a nice theme-spa if the place is run according to the popular model of community. The most well-conceived Temple-campus would have a very short duration unless the principles and precepts by which the Jedi (say they) live are upheld.

This is where we are a little handicapped ; Buddhist monasteries are founded on the 2500 year-old tradition of the Sangha (spiritual community), whereas we don't have that (except, of course, to what extent we can let ourselves be inspired by that, entre autre). Thus, the only necessary element to a durable Jedi Temple - geographically based or just graphically - is genuinely practising Jedi.

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205468 by
Replied by on topic What would be in the temple?
A fully self-sufficient commune would be ideal. The temple members could bring in anything that encourages use of the force meaning pretty much everything. If they wanted an art studio, a dojo, a library, a workshop for inventing all of these actions help us to better understand and be in tune with the world around us. Through becoming self-sufficient the Jedi could be more in touch with nature and less concerned with the rat race. Many outside seating areas and gardens for sermons and contemplation. Perhaps one day the Jedi will be strong enough for people to make a commitment and put one together I'd be down to help but the logistical issue is the main problem.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205473 by

Br. John wrote: A Jedi Monastery is likely to be the first thing to happen. It's realistic. It's doable. It makes sense. There would be a library, chapel, kitchen, garden and guest quarters. It only takes a few people who'd live there. They may or may not have outside employment. There are self sustaining monasteries that make and sell a wide variety of things.

I've always especially liked this idea.

Here's a Buddhist Monastery / Temple not far from where I live in Southeast Texas. http://www.buumon.org/about-us1.html

That would be the most realistic way to start. All it would require is three or four people who already live in the same area, and would not be nearly as expensive as a temple.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205474 by
I would also add a medical lab working with naturally grown herbs and supplements. This would help in our self sustaining community plus medical bills are a killer. Preventative medicine is far more cheaper and accessible.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205482 by

Star Forge wrote:

Br. John wrote: A Jedi Monastery is likely to be the first thing to happen. It's realistic. It's doable. It makes sense. There would be a library, chapel, kitchen, garden and guest quarters. It only takes a few people who'd live there. They may or may not have outside employment. There are self sustaining monasteries that make and sell a wide variety of things.

Here's a Buddhist Monastery / Temple not far from where I live in Southeast Texas. http://www.buumon.org/about-us1.html

That would be the most realistic way to start. All it would require is three or four people who already live in the same area, and would not be nearly as expensive as a temple.

So, we have multiple areas that HAVE three or more active Jedi living in the same area. (California, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee/Kentucky, Florida, Missouri for example).

What do you tell them?

In a way, this is already happening. Which is fabulous.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205486 by

Connor L. wrote:

Star Forge wrote:

So, we have multiple areas that HAVE three or more active Jedi living in the same area. (California, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee/Kentucky, Florida, Missouri for example).

What do you tell them?

In a way, this is already happening. Which is fabulous.

I'm not a Jedi nor member of the Order, so I'm not one to give advice.

More
8 years 6 months ago #205498 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What would be in the temple?
I...

Might be converting my home. Still playing with the idea. The house needs some work, but it would be easier to go with what I already own., especially since Temple life is my ideal retirement.(besides being a Jedi ambassador to the UN but I digress)

rugadd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205520 by
I believe the temple, whatever and wherever it may be will not only bring more Jedi together but I believe it will be taken more seriously by the others, since some are less likely to take it seriously because it comes from Star Wars. But when they see them take the time and money to make a temple and possibly be self sufficient depending on what kind of temple you have, naysayers may stop nay saying and even join it once they look past all that stuff.

I'm not sure how one has a temple to be built. A grant of some kind or loan or a fundraiser or a bunch of Jedi pitch in some money for the cost.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205528 by
You don't start with a temple. You start with a community. If you have a strong one, a temple will build itself (with lots of blood sweat and tears!)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi