Sithism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #188109 by
Sithism was created by
Yesterday In a moment of thought, I pondered on the idea that if there is a Jediism, would those who endorse the ways of the Sith, also have a religion or doctorine of some kind. I typed Sithism into Google, and wasn't surprised to see Sith temples, churches, forums etc, but what really surprised me was how many individuals seem to have subscribed to its teachings.

I have never been one to judge anyone on their beliefs, and how they chose to practice them, but I do find it a little concerning that there are those who are openly applying themselves to a doctorine based on so many negative aspects of the human character.

I have been a member of the TOJO for a few weeks now, and I humbly admit that I have become a better person for it, and I feel privileged to be a part of such a great collective of people. But I do find it disturbing to think of those purposefully following a darker path, where it will ultimately lead them, and at what cost to themselves and to others. There are a lot of easily led individuals out there, and many who are easily manipulated, I just hope that those preaching these doctrines are responsible for their actions, and not simply encouraging their followers to submit to the negative sides of their personalities whilst doing harm to there in the process.

It would be interesting to hear what others think about this issue.

May the force be with us.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #188115 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Sithism
A lot of Sith are not as bad as all that. Don't get me wrong, there are some really bad apples(I think we get threatened with war at least once a year) but the dark side path doesn't uniformly put out butt-hurt machines.

rugadd

More
8 years 11 months ago #188132 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sithism
I think of Sithism like Satanism (a path which I still hold in my heart). The culture is different, but the search for knowledge, the self improvement, the desire to learn and change and build yourself up is the same, it's just a different method, a different path. You might come across a couple of people who don't act very well, but you shouldn't judge a whole movement by the behaviour of the few. The 'dark path' is not necessarily one that has negative effects on others, nor on the self. Sometimes you have to break yourself down to build yourself up. As I said, a different method.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #188142 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Sithism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_XAR9rna3I

maybe i misunderstand it

but the way it was explained in the original movies there is no reason to claim sith unless your desire is to become master and supreme lord over everyone else

thats the dark side and thats what sith affiliate with

i suppose a lesser ambitioned devil might be content with being a relatively petty tyrant so long as they get their chance on the right side of the whip

but sith as it was originally presented is using fear, aggression, anger, violence, and hate, as personal tools for self actualization

while i agree that the ability to defeat violence with violence is a part of the warrior archetype, i do not agree that the use of violence against the less powerful and the non combative is an appropriate tool for self actualization or for social regulation

and the advocating of hate as a means of anything except violence is delusional

hate will only make more hate

if someone wants to say "oh but sith is not about hate and violence" then my response is "then its not sith, its just jedi"

again it may be that real people have taken the word sith and used it to create or express a philosophy other than what was presented in the original work

i dont know and if thats the case then great, but its still not sith as sith was originally presented so far as i understand

also i only am going by the original movies

and there has been a lot of addition to those which i am unaware of

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #188144 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sithism
How much like the film Jedi are we really? How much like the film Sith are the Sith really? I don't think comparisons to the films are very useful.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #188145 by
Replied by on topic Sithism
I know nothing about real world Sithism, but I know of a few Jedi who have gone down that road before and heard them reference to it a few times. It doesn't seem all that bad. From my understanding there's not really any "we must rule the world" kind of ideas, but rather just a different take on self exploration.

But again, I don't really know.

More
8 years 11 months ago #188147 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Sithism
the philosophy behind the films are based on reality

the difference between the term "jedi" and the term "sith" is that one advocates the use of hate and violence to achieve the dominance of others and one advocates the use of love and courage for all to be free

again i admit i am not familiar with much of the literature which followed the movies

i dont really have much memory for the last three movies either lol as they were by a large disappointing to me i only saw any of them once

i apologize if what i am saying offends anyone but what i am saying what seems obvious and i dont understand how any confusion could arise unless as a result of the literature which i admit i am not versed in

but comparison to the films does have its place since the films are where we got the terminology, not to mention for many people, the inspiration, to begin with

im not saying that someone cant use the term "sith" and really be talking about the jedi path

im saying i dont undertsand why someone would want to use the word sith unless they belived in using hate and violence and aggression as tools for personal achievement

thats what it meant to be sith within the context of the origin of the word

if there is some particular resource which demonstrates that practicing "sith" do not accept this ideology and yet still have a valid explanation of how "sith" is fundamentally different from "jedi" then please direct my attention to it and i will acknowledge what they say

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #188149 by
Sithism as I understand it operates on the idea of growth comes from imbalance. This is an old concept, however the Sithism variant focuses on negative imbalance whereby an individual takes their anger and general aggression and turns it into their anchor. Provided the individual can effectively sublimate and control the strong emotions it does translate into considerable power, however it can easly lead one to over extend themselves and do harm to not only themselves but to others to the detriment of all.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #188151 by

Lone Starr wrote: Sithism as I understand it operates on the idea of growth comes from imbalance. This is an old concept, however the Sithism variant focuses on negative imbalance whereby an individual takes their anger and general aggression and turns it into their anchor. Provided the individual can effectively sublimate and control the strong emotions it does translate into considerable power, however it can easly lead one to over extend themselves and do harm to not only themselves but to others to the detriment of all.

Training in this path should not be done without close supervision.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #188156 by
Sith Realism (a term that Sith Realists do not always associate with) is its own thing. It's not even close to breathing next to the Star Wars Sith.

It actually has its main focus on each person who practices it. Khaos's Sith path is leagues different than David's or Kiss's or Draconis's or (hellfire save me) Mortose's.

Not all of them are evil. In fact, Khaos may be more compassionate than most of us.

It's about the personal interpretation of that path. Take a gander at the Sith Code:
Peace is a lie; there is only Passion.
Through Passion, I gain Strength.
Through Strength, I gain Power.
Through Power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory, my chains are Broken.
The Force will set me free.

Does this sound like it has to be taken to mean you need to be a dictator? Is Frank Underwood a Sith Lord (yes... lol).

But, what if the Sith Code is less than literal... Could it be talking about self-betterment? Could the Passion be something other than taking over the world or becoming immortal? Sure it can.

The Sith Path is not a docile one. But, it also is not an evil one.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi