Addictions

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10079 by
Addictions was created by
Addictions are a funny thing, if you think about it.
I've realized... we all have our addictions. Unhealthy ones... and sometimes we realize that these addictions are harming us, or those around us... and so we try to stop them. We avoid them at all costs, in fact... but the truth of the matter is, that if you take the dirt out of a hole... it's still a hole. Without our obsessions we become empty... so as soon as we set our sights on something else... we try to fill the hole with it, but in most cases that thing is even more harmful than the last. And in most cases the new obsession not only drives us deeper into oblivion, but eventually leads us back to our old addictions... so then we end up with not only a filled hole, but a large mound of dirt on top of it, meaning we're now stuck with both the new addiction and the one we've already tried to do away with.
But not all addictions are bad or unhealthy, some of them are just what we need to help ourselves in time of need, to get us out of a rut, or help us to carry on each day. They can give us hope, something to thrive on when we might not have anything else. But in a way, that's unhealthy to, we shouldn't live for an addiction, nor should we be addicted to anything.
So that brings the question: Are all addictions bad? Or can they be good in some way?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10082 by
Replied by on topic Re:Addictions
Well, addictions usually results in a dependency in something. Whether it is bad or good would have do with what the addiction is. If its drugs then its never a good thing to be dependent upon to pull you through those rough times. Maybe addictions can be assosciated with compulsiveness, like always cleaning you hands. That wouldn't be completely destructive. however it is something that person cannot control. Addiction is an issue of self control. A person should always maintain a level of self control. I think everyone has something their addicted to; spending money, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches( my personal weakness), power over others, drugs or alcohol, caffine (coffee or energy drinks)[another one of mine], etc. All of which demonstrates a weakness in discipline and self control. So I would say, if it dictates your decision making ability, not healthy or feels wrong or think you need it than its not good. Self control is always good, then again we'er human right.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 3 months ago #10083 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Addictions
Its not for nothing when its said \"Too much of a good thing!\" Excessiveness in one thing leads to a lack in another. Even water, the most harmless of drinks, if drunk beyond a certain limit (which I cannot say at the moment) can lead to brain damage or even death. We were born free to choose so let us not live as slaves.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10084 by
The addictions we have as humans can range over a wide scale. I don't see good addictions. Most are not aware of their addictions. They are clueless as to what vices hold them prisioner. Addictions are something you do not have control over, its something you have to have or it changes how you are mentally or physically. You can have positive things in your life that you enjoy that are not addictions. They do not bring you down if you do not get them or do them. Going to the gym and working out is something I like doing. Do I have to do it in order to maintain any type of high, no. I do it because I enjoy it. If I don't get to go to the gym, I don't sit there and think about when the next time will be that I get my fix. So, when you think over what an addiciton is and what you may be addicted to, ponder if it is a real addicition. Do you have to get a fix of it in order to achieve a level of satisfaction mentally or physically? If you do, it may be time to look at if you actually need that in your life.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 3 months ago #10087 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Addictions
Justice wrote:

The addictions we have as humans can range over a wide scale. I don't see good addictions. Most are not aware of their addictions. They are clueless as to what vices hold them prisioner. Addictions are something you do not have control over, its something you have to have or it changes how you are mentally or physically. You can have positive things in your life that you enjoy that are not addictions. They do not bring you down if you do not get them or do them. Going to the gym and working out is something I like doing. Do I have to do it in order to maintain any type of high, no. I do it because I enjoy it. If I don't get to go to the gym, I don't sit there and think about when the next time will be that I get my fix. So, when you think over what an addiciton is and what you may be addicted to, ponder if it is a real addicition. Do you have to get a fix of it in order to achieve a level of satisfaction mentally or physically? If you do, it may be time to look at if you actually need that in your life.

That was a great insight Master Justice. It certainly made me think.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10094 by
True the meaning and nature of addiction is sometimes lost when we focus to great on one thing. To put it so blatantly is real genius, lol. thank you, i would like to think that i have minimal addictions but then again, i am biased. Perhaps this is something for us all to ponder over.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi