Sermon Buffer

More
2 years 4 months ago #363743 by Nakis
Sermon Buffer was created by Nakis
Hello and good morning,

I'd like to start a discussion around creating a sermon buffer. A buffer refers to works created in advance of posting to allow for more time for creative thought (If you like to put 1 month of effort into a sermon, and you post weekly, having 4 sermons prepared before you post the first will give you 1 month to work on that new sermon) or, more importantly, allows you to have reserves so when you are in a tight spot due to holidays, needing a break, or even if you got super inspired and pumped out a few, you have the ability to just grab one and post it instead of forcing yourself to produce something sub-standard.

I also want to reserve 1 slot a month, if possible, for non-clergy members to try and get fresh blood in the cycle, so having a buffer would allow us to leave that slot open until the last minute and if no one steps up, we can simply use a buffer sermon.

So, ideally, we'd have a selection of sermons posting that we draw from and post them up as we have empty slots due to emergencies or planned gaps.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #363744 by River
Replied by River on topic Sermon Buffer
I've been contributing one sermon each month on a month by month basis, but I can commit to doing it on an ongoing basis if that's helpful: one sermon to be used as needed ready and handed over by the first of each month.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis, Carlos.Martinez3

More
2 years 4 months ago #363747 by River
Replied by River on topic Sermon Buffer
I just noticed this is in the clergy section.
Sorry if my comment here is inappropriate: I have a bad habit of just answering what I can see rather than checking which section of the forums it's in.

More
2 years 4 months ago #363749 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic Sermon Buffer
It is not inappropriate. If you can see it, odds are you are allowed to reply to it for most general things (provided the subforum rules prohibit it like in the IP Journals area). Especially if you've already been doing these things! No worries!

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
2 years 4 months ago #363757 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Sermon Buffer
As a member of the Clergy, I support this. A clear and straightforward form where sermons are submitted and put into a waitlist for automatically timed releases would be hugely beneficial. I think it would result in more submissions overall from clergy, since there wouldn't be as much of a submitter-end timed aspect of it. Opening sermon submissions for non-clergy would increase the diversity of views in the sermons as well.

It would also be nice, I think, for older sermons to occasionally be cycled into the highlighted sermons on the sidebar. That way they don't just get lost in the long list, and it would provide more of a buffer for submissions. I.E., once a month an old sermon is randomly cycled into the sidebar instead of a new submission. It would provide an opportunity for newer members of TOTJO to be exposed to the older materials.

More
2 years 4 months ago #363758 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Sermon Buffer
I m so down. Our program now allows for the abith for you to post a sermon on a specific date or allow to be published on a chosen date.

We do have occasional Flashbacks of hiignyed sermons bit we can get together and rotate the goodies and oldies.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
2 years 4 months ago #363759 by Carlos.Martinez3
It would be nice to see more sermons from the clergy as a whole than from just the few... Especially those who hold office. My 2 cents

Build, not tear down.

More
2 years 4 months ago #363765 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic Sermon Buffer
We have a sub forum set up, and in the Clergy discord section I have pasted a link to a sermon roster sheet I'm working on.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
2 years 4 months ago #363766 by Carlos.Martinez3
Thank you Nakis

Build, not tear down.