Reclaiming My Name

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266891 by
Reclaiming My Name was created by
Some may have read my journal, some might not have. I grew up in the foster care system. My parents were never able to legally adopt me, due to medical expenses. There was also the fact that my birth mother refused to relinquish custody. But there is no doubt in my mind that they loved me the same as my two siblings. When they both passed, I became curious about my genetic lines. About three years ago in a fluke, hoping to help a family who I believed were my genetic paternal line, I took a Y dna test. That test came back with me being related to a far different surname. I began a search then for that family. Using Ancestry DNA I was able to locate and prove that connection late last year, and early this year.

I ended up with a new Aunt and 5 new siblings and felt a great connection to them right away. I wanted to be more than part of the family in their hearts, but to be so legally. I set about on a plan I've worked on for the last 5 or 6 months. My birth certificate always had a blank spot for father. Today, I put in a request to the WV court system to grant me a hearing to have my birth certificate amended to have my birth father's name on it. I will hopefully have some answer from them next week.

I guess I'm just posting here for some positive energy. I don't want to draw it away from more important matters of life and death, but if there were any good thoughts to spare, I'd appreciate them. This is definitely going to be a hail mary pass, and is pretty unprecedented in the WV courts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266893 by
Replied by on topic Reclaiming My Name
I hope it all goes well and I wish you luck. May the force be with you

More
7 years 4 months ago #266905 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Reclaiming My Name

rrhodes67 wrote: I guess I'm just posting here for some positive energy. I don't want to draw it away from more important matters of life and death, but if there were any good thoughts to spare, I'd appreciate them. This is definitely going to be a hail mary pass, and is pretty unprecedented in the WV courts.

No need to downplay it. It's important to you, it's important to us. :)

The best of luck my friend, go for it, full force!

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266947 by
Good luck I hope things go as you wish.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266950 by
Good luck !!

More
7 years 4 months ago #267004 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Reclaiming My Name
May the Force be with you Manu

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

More
7 years 4 months ago #267005 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Reclaiming My Name
What an amazing story! Good luck and may the Force be with you! I'm sending you all sorts of good juju :D

More
7 years 4 months ago #267036 by Brontyn
Replied by Brontyn on topic Reclaiming My Name
That is a wild story, but I'm sure living it has been even more intense! Good luck with the hearing! May the Force guide and support your efforts!

I am strong because I've been weak. I am fearless because I've been afraid. I am wise because I've been foolish. - Unknown

Rules for happiness, something to do, someone to love, something to hope for. - Immanuel Kant

More
7 years 4 months ago #267037 by Brontyn
Replied by Brontyn on topic Reclaiming My Name
*more intense to live through!

(One of these days, I'll learn how to proofread, before posting!)

I am strong because I've been weak. I am fearless because I've been afraid. I am wise because I've been foolish. - Unknown

Rules for happiness, something to do, someone to love, something to hope for. - Immanuel Kant

More
7 years 4 months ago #268376 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Reclaiming My Name
rrhodes67, how did this turn out?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi