Are Star Wars Video Games The Most Cliché Video Games Ever? Also, Star Wars Battlefront 2 Discussion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85716 by
I recently got my macbook pro to play Star Wars Battlefront II (which is my favorite video game ever, by the way) and it made me think about the Star Wars Battlefront series, as well as Star Wars video games in general. There's a lot I can say.....I'll talk about the key points briefly.

I began to wonder why I love Star Wars Battlefront II for the PC so much, and I realized that this is the case because it is one of the only (good) Star Wars video games where you can play as Star Wars soldiers. All too often, Star Wars video games are all about you as a "Jedi" (and I use this term lightly, because all you need to be a "Jedi" in video games is a lightsaber, and bam!), so gamers don't really get to play as soldiers too often.

Of course, there are those pathetic "Star Wars The Clone Wars" games, where you can fight as Star Wars clone soldiers, but we're talking about real Star Wars video games, and not the knock-offs.

This leads me to one of my final points: Are Star Wars Video games the most cliché video games ever? I mean, are there too many Star Wars games about Jedi? Think about it. I'd say that about 90-95% of all Star Wars video games revolve around you as some sort of lightsaber dueler. They just don't make anymore good Star Wars soldier games.

And with the failure to create and release Star Wars Battlefront 3, this issue seems even more apparent than ever.

So what do you think?

- About Star Wars Battlefront Games?
- About other Star Wars video games?
- About Star Wars video games in general?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #85719 by Ben
But...the whole point of playing Star Wars games is to use a lightsaber and force lightening! :laugh:

If I wanted to play a good soldier/shooting-based game I'd choose one of the millions of other games out there ;)

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85727 by

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85728 by

V-Tog wrote: But...the whole point of playing Star Wars games is to use a lightsaber and force lightening! :laugh:

If I wanted to play a good soldier/shooting-based game I'd choose one of the millions of other games out there ;)

Yeah, there's no shortage of the usual "soldier/shooting games" out there. That's for sure.

However, no matter which shooter I have played, whether it's any of the Call of Duties, or any of the Ghost Recon games, or any of the Halo games, or any of the Counter-Strike games, etc., none have captured my interest as much as the Star Wars Battlefront Games - specifically, number II.

I bought and started playing the game in 2005 on my PS2, and sometime later also bought it for PC, which I still play now. That's right, I have played Star Wars Battlefront II for nearly 8 years already.

Can you imagine yourself sticking to one game for 8 years? (Maybe you have, in which case, you should tell me about it here!)

But also, maybe that's the whole point. Perhaps it's not necessarily the Star Wars "soldier-genre" that I enjoy so much, but just Star Wars Battlefront 2. In other words, maybe it's just that this game works SO well that I love it for that game specifically. Any other remake or addition to the series might not impress me as much.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85729 by

Connor Lidell wrote: Yup. They are. And i like 'em that way!

...It sounds like you'll buy any Star Wars Jedi game that comes out....which is about every time a Star Wars game comes out, period.

This is the same deal with Call of Duty games. Just change the name of the guns, change the names of the perks, make some new, flashy maps, and make some new visual changes, and you got a "whole new Call of Duty experience". Nothing worthwhile actually changes, although I wish they would be brave enough to start changing it up...especially after 9 similar, if not the same, games.

(By the way, I digress because I feel this is relevant to the argument that Star Wars video games are cliché.)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85732 by
Yeah! Absolutely. By the way, i've played Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's mask, a link to the past, oracle series, minish cap, skyward sword, wind waker, twilight princess, etc.) for WAY over ten years. I've stuck with Wind Waker for most definitely all nine years, playing it over and over again.

I don't find it odd at all!

To tell you the truth, i find it more odd not to develop an emotional attachment to a game(series).

But yes, i will buy any star wars game that let's me wield a lightsaber. ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #85748 by

Connor Lidell wrote: Yeah! Absolutely. By the way, i've played Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's mask, a link to the past, oracle series, minish cap, skyward sword, wind waker, twilight princess, etc.) for WAY over ten years. I've stuck with Wind Waker for most definitely all nine years, playing it over and over again.

I don't find it odd at all!

To tell you the truth, i find it more odd not to develop an emotional attachment to a game(series).

But yes, i will buy any star wars game that let's me wield a lightsaber. ;)

Would you buy Star Wars Kinect? (I have never tried it, but I heard it was awful.)

Would you buy any of those "Star Wars The Clone Wars" games, FOR WII? (I can tell you, from my own experience, that those games are pretty awful.)

But anyway, I respect your interest in the Zelda series. Honestly, I have never played any Zelda game (which I consider a bad choice on my part) and I've heard that it's a great series.

It's true that people should develop a bond with some type of video game series.

Good video game series appeal to the hearts and emotions of their fans. They reward our energy and efforts with exciting and addictive entertainment.

Besides, If someone wants something to do that's purely logical and platonic, go do a math textbook or something :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #85752 by
never owned an X-box... or even a PS3... I stopped at PS2.

I only buy Nintendo systems now. haha So no, I wouldn't do Kinect.

And, I wouldn't buy the Clone wars games... they're not even cool. :P

LEGO STAR WARS FTW
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #92482 by
Star Wars: Battlefront II is one of the best games I've ever played, at least it's one of those on which I've spent the most time and the reason is exactly that of SeanChing's, for once you got to play a common soldier. Which was really fun! Except for the Jedi Library mission, that one vexes me, mostly because it shows I kinda suck at the game :)
The first Battlefront was an excellent game at the time because there weren't any real alternatives but it suffered under the complete lack of cohesion, it was nothing but a string of random missions whereas the sequel had an overlying storyline that was really cool.
I remember playing "Dark Forces" a long time ago (unfortunately not in a galaxy far, far away) and that blew my mind completely, as did "Galactic Battlegrounds". It just has a certain appeal to build a bunch of AT-AT's and fill them with troops. And then watch them being blown to pieces because I'm not too good at that game either :D
There are tonnes of Star Wars games I've yet to play but my urge to play computer games comes and goes and there are many great games out there.

More
11 years 2 months ago #92497 by Gisteron
In Dark Forces you played a Mercenary and it is the game's successor where the character became a Jedi Knight. Even in that game it was frequently more useful, profitable and comfortable to use other weapons than the lightsaber and it is only the fourth game of the continuity where lightsabers became a standard issue (in fact, in the latest game - that'd be Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - your first weapon is a lightsaber and you almost never want to choose anything else except for when from a certain point on you can have a second one in the other hand). So Dark Forces is maybe not a lot about soldiers, as it features a lone life during the Galactic Civil War, but it isn't about a Jedi's growth either.
In the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron series you are a Civil War pilot on either imperial or rebel side, so I guess they don't count for Jedi games either, even if you may or may not fly as Luke Skywalker (which I believe you don't, but I can't recall anymore).
The two Rebel Assault games are maybe not noteworthy as good Star Wars video games. However, there you, too, are a rebel pilot and have different movie-related missions to absolve.
In Bounty Hunter you play as Jango Fett and work for Count Dooku.
There are other examples for that Star Wars games are by far not always concentrated around Jedi, such as:
- Shadows of The Empire
- Any Star Wars strategy games with Empire At War series and Rebellion being prime examples of a good ones
- Star Wars Galaxies and The Old Republic (these are MMOs and many probably choose a Jedi or Sith path, but there are other choices as well)
- Republic Commando
And I didn't go into arcade games..

On the other hand, there are both good and bad Jedi games as well. While Knights of The Old Republic was an RPG that made you dive into the philosophy and path of a Jedi, Jedi Academy was but a combat simulator and a fairly primitive one, too. Now, Jedi Outcast was neither of these too deeply, but what it lacked in brute action or spiritual depth it compensated with a story that made you live through the life of a New Republic force-sensitive, thus there are different opinions about it.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi