The different representations of The Force in Star Wars fiction - which is your preferred form?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #67573 by
In various Star Wars fiction, notably the Original Trilogy (OT), Prequel Trilogy (PT), and The Force Unleashed (TFU), the way The Force is represented greatly varies.

Original Trilogy:
- The Force is very magical, and more about faith than actual "super powers" (as opposed to the Prequel Trilogy).
- The Force is very subtle and "down to earth". I mean, it's used mostly for moral teachings and is only occasionally used in combat-related situations. (Obi-Wan and Yoda constantly using the force to instruct Luke, but only occasionally using it to perform a Jedi Mind Trick; Vader only using the force to choke one person at a time; Luke only using the force to grab his lightsaber and lift small objects.)
- The Force is more ambiguous: the movie watcher is left to interpret what exactly the force looks like, how it affects the characters, what its role is, etc. In other words, the concept of the force, in the OT, isn't clearly or directly spelled out.

OT Overall: The Force is an ambiguous, magical, and slightly powerful religion used primarily for learning and knowledge and only occasionally for combat.

Prequel Trilogy:
- The Force is (basically) a scientific super power. Occasionally, the Jedi meditate and merge with the force for knowledge, but usually use it for action (and not that much learning and teachings).
- The Force is a dominating weapon constantly stretched to the limit to win in combat.
- The Force is explained like a science (symbiotic Midi-Chlorian microscopic organisms in a Jedi's bloodstream) and isn't indirect or mysterious at all. All Jedi (and their Sith enemies) are expected to have decent "Force Abilities" - it's a given.

PT Overall: The Force is a scientific, superhuman, ultimately powerful super power used primarily for combat and occasionally used for contemplation in meditation.

The Force Unleashed (TFU): (Yes, I know it's very different from all six of the official Star Wars movies - I'm not saying anything about how TFU relates to the movies.)

- The Force is INSANELY powerful - god abilities. It can be used to be (basically) invincible in combat and to grab and control a HUGE Star Destroyer.
- Even though it is insanely powerful in combat, The Force is more of a balanced tool of all purposes. It can be used as a tool for knowledge (tracking, sensing, communicating, and foresight through meditation), and combat of course.
- The Force isn't explained at all, and is treated like common knowledge ("everyone knows what it is already"). This is due to the fact that the Star Wars movies, and all its representations of the Force, have been around for quite a while by the time this game came out.

TFU Overall: The Force is the ultimate, multi-purpose tool. Those who succeed with it just use it - they don't try to break it down and understand how it works. Using the force is for both knowledge and combat.

So, with all this being said...
Which representation of The Force, in Star Wars fiction, do you most prefer? The form that you most agree with? Connect to? Understand the best?

Also, if you have a different representation of the force, feel free to explain it here.

Personally, I like the Original Trilogy's representation of The Force the best, but I won't explain my position any further until others start sharing their opinions!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #67583 by
From your three descriptions, I like the way it's represented in the prequels. Being a Sci-Fi, Action, film fan, I think it make the films that bit more exciting.

I've started reading a collection of Star Wars books and they give a more all rounded view of the force. Depending on the Jedi or Siths personalty traits and how strong their connection to force is, the writers give different insight as to what and how they choose to use the force for.

More
11 years 9 months ago #67584 by Adder
For me, its the same Force and the users are at different levels, but I'm not really up with all the EU;

OT - Obi Wan didnt want to use it much initially for fear of the Sith sensing it. All practioners were out of practise and getting a bit long in the tooth, so their powers were not that high. Explains why Luke after such limited training was able to match them.

PT - society at its peak, established organized Force practioners with well developed powers.

TFU - no idea, but crashing a Star Destroyer with the Force seems a little bizarre unless the piloting staff were manipulated into steering the vessel into the ground, or perhaps knowledge of power system weak spots meant certain systems could have been knocked out (think crushing fuel line to specific engines) causing loss of control.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #67592 by
But, at the same time, PT introduces a concept of midichlorians, which really alters the view on the Force in the whole saga. In OT, the Force is something more philosophical, more subtle, an Ultimate Ground of Being perhaps. It surrounds us all, and it's powers are available to all. I remember when I was a kid, and I thought 'Wow, so anyone can be like Luke'.
In PT Force is something that only the "chosen ones" may use. It's no longer a spiritual ally, and Jedi Knights become somewhat of a we-have-quirky-bacteria-in-our-bloodstream-and-it-lets-us-do-cool-stuff Club.

In TFU by the way, the Force is used only in combat, and has no ground of being except as a game mechanic (still feels good to use it, though B) ).

More
11 years 9 months ago #67593 by Ben
Well my favourite depiction of the Force is in the prequel trilogies. But I don't see it like this:

SeanChing wrote: Prequel Trilogy:
- The Force is (basically) a scientific super power. Occasionally, the Jedi meditate and merge with the force for knowledge, but usually use it for action (and not that much learning and teachings).
- The Force is a dominating weapon constantly stretched to the limit to win in combat.
- The Force is explained like a science (symbiotic Midi-Chlorian microscopic organisms in a Jedi's bloodstream) and isn't indirect or mysterious at all. All Jedi (and their Sith enemies) are expected to have decent "Force Abilities" - it's a given.

PT Overall: The Force is a scientific, superhuman, ultimately powerful super power used primarily for combat and occasionally used for contemplation in meditation.

You largely see them using it for combat and not meditation and learning, because that is what the movies are all about. They aren't gonna make a movie that just involves people sitting around meditating. But you do come away with a sense that the Jedi are deeply in tune with the Force and that those who have grown up in the Temple have probably largely had their training focused on non-combat things. These then help them to be some awesome in combat when it is necessary.

I like the sense that the prequels give that if you can learn to be in harmony with the Force, there is endless potential as to what that connection can bring. I'm not saying that that's actually how I see the real Force (which would be closer to the original trilogy depiction), but it is definitely my favourite depiction.

B.Div | OCP

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi