Lightsaber training videos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #12974 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber training videos
Keep posting!! While watching this though please understand that the techniques presented are not intended for combat but are for stage combat only. I've seen a bunch of the NY Jedi videos and while their very good, it's still stage combat. I won't go in to the differences in this post but suffice it to say that someone with about a years experience in a good ARMA group could with little effort get through many of the techniques presented.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #12977 by
awesome vids i found alot of lightsaber videos.

More
15 years 11 months ago #13314 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Lightsaber training videos
These clips are a good start and look very impressive. As Merin has said keep in mind that they are mostly demonstrational in nature designed to look good. Watch a kendo practicioner, not very exciting, no flourishs, only quick, abrupt and to the point (pun intended).

I did enjoy them though and will play around with them in the future to add to my Iaido practice. (flurishing is great at freaking out the neighbours :))

Now, I have been looking for similar clips of the same quality to add to my bo techniques. I have taken one of my staffs and taped off the \"grip\" area to keep my hands centered to mimic the double bladed light saber. I have slowed down the Darth Maul sequences but would prefer to have a video clip to refer to. Has anyone seen something like this out there?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #13321 by
I have practiced Kendo for a number of years now, and I do realize that these are mostly stage combat, but even so, it is possible to add almost all of those moves and flourishes into actual fighting, and it is quite effective if done correctly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #13324 by
Here's what I practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5FIyfI8TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg&feature=related

More
15 years 11 months ago #13329 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Lightsaber training videos
Nice clips, more to my experiences and expectations. When working with the bokken we stop on first contact as if the wooden swords were the razor sharp blades they represent against unarmored flesh. The exchanges are more often short and decisive, under thirty seconds being the norm. I can hold my own but a poorly placed move and its over before you realize it...its a fun, enlightening, and humbling experience all at the same time. :) I have used flourishes as well, expecially when the two involved are closely matched and the contest runs longer...it does add a bit of style and pazzaz...:woohoo:

Please remember me if you find anything on the bo (re: double bladed lightsaber)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23118 by
I am actually a member of the New Jersey branch of those guys, The guy doing Shii-Cho, his name is Damon and he is the one who invented our forms. He is also a Kung fu master he opened his own kung fu school in New York called the Temple of the monkey. The guy doing Ataru is one of the best guys, his name is Omar. The only problem I have with our big brother group is that you have to pay for the classes even if you are a member, in the New Jersey Jedi you dont have to pay if you are a member. If anybody wants more info on us either contact me our check us out at NewJerseyJedi.com

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23186 by
Thanks for finding these they really helped

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 10 months ago #30260 by RyuJin
having watched all these clips i can say without a doubt that my saber style is 100% unorthodox....i blend so many techniques, grips, and movements that it would be nearly impossible to read my moves.

i combine kendo, fencing, and broadsword techniques with orthodox, reverse, shii cho, makashi, ataru, and soresu grips and add to all that techniques from the various martial arts i've studied.

that sort of mix sounds like it would be a hot mess, but it's not it works quite well for me.

and to further muddy things up i take all that stuff and use it with single, dual, and doublebladed sabers....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 10 months ago #30295 by
Personally, I think that unorthodoxy is in many ways more effective than perfect form.

I've also been doing sword for 20 years, and I was disappointed with the videos, TBH. It's not that they don't know what they're doing (they do), but that showcasing an attack without showing a defense isn't instructive, it's showing off. To counter those: smaller, simpler moves with a twist of the torso and dropping to one knee (Greco-Germanic broadsword technique). The counter to that is then to spin and reset (protecting one's ankles), then a drop-reverse-downblade to the head (Russian sabre style). The counter to that... yadda-yadda-yadda

Anyway... everything does have a counter, so if you want to be unpredictable (as this is an advantage in martial arts), then you should mix-and-match predictable moves with known counters and spur-of-the-moment moves which don't make sense in the moment, along with an understanding of how to be absent from the place your enemy is striking.

RyuJin, sounds like you've got a pretty good start going there. :D

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi