3-08 Review: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12405 by
For this month's review, since it's the first, I will start from the beginning. The story takes place one thousand years before the first Death Star was destroyed.

The galaxy is in the midst of the Jedi Sith war. This story centers around a young man named Des. Des lives on the planet of Apatros. He has worked his whole life in the Cortosis mines. Cortosis is a hard metal that rivals the lightsaber in strength. Des lived with his father, Hurst til he died of a heart attack, which later is found out to have been caused by Des's latent Force abilities.

In the time since the death of Hurst, Des was paying off his debt to the mine company. He was attacked by a man working his spot in the mine, and beat him severely. That night he wins a large amount of money off of the soldiers that frequent the local cantina. He leaves and is attacked by three soldiers, he kills one. Des must leave Apatros. Des joins the Sith army, and leaves for the galactic Sith/Jedi war.

Des is a wonderful leader, a fierce warrior, and naturally gifted with the Force. He is taken to Lord Kopecz, a Twi'lek Sith Lord, who deems him a student at the Sith academy on Korriban. They believe he is the Sith'ari, a chosen one.

\"Do you wish to choose a name for yourself, Des?\" Kopecz asked, possibly sensing his reluctance. \"Do you wish to be reborn?\"
Des nodded.
Kopecz smiled once more. \"And by what name shall we call you now?\"
The fear would stop him; he would seize the fear, transform it, and make it his own. He would take what had once made him weak and use it to make himself strong.
\"My name is Bane. Bane of the Sith.\"

Des was no more. In his place was Bane. The name Hurst used to taunt him would bring fear to the galaxy.

In the first few months of his training on Korriban, Bane is progressing fast. He has learned to increase his stamina, and has chosen form IV Djem So as his fighting style.

His power grows, and he begins to be ahead of the pack, and then all comes to ruin. Ultra sure of his abilities he challenges Sirak, the best student at the academy.

His defeat is great, and his connection to the Force is weakened. The teachers refuse to help, and he is left alone. He begins to read the lore of the ancient Sith. Their tomes teach him of things long forgotten. He is reconnecting to the Dark Side. In the day he consumes all the knowledge of the ancient Sith, and at night he is training with the weapons master, Kas'im. He is becoming a great Sith. But he is not unnoticed. Githany, a Jedi who has defected to the Sith, is ever watchful of Bane. She goes to him, and establishes a partnership. If he will teach her the old ways, she will teach him what he is not being taught.

The partnership prospers, and both become powerful, but Bane is still progressing with each day. He again challenges Sirak. Bane toys with Sirak, and regains his status in the academy. But he cannot kill Sirak, and Githany sees this as weakness.

With his renewed status the Sith Lords tell Bane he must end his times with Githany, and abandon his time in the archives. In a rift, he leaves the temple and goes in search of wisdom in the Valley of the Dark Lords.

Githany goes to Sirak making a deal to end Bane's life when he returns.

Lord Kaan is the leader of the Sith forces, and he is in a losing battle on the Planet of Ruusan. When he hears of Bane and the academy he is furious.

While on his adventure Bane's Force powers are pushed to the limit. He faces many trials, and through them is enlightened. he sees the error of the Sith Order, and feels that the ancients have abandoned them in shame. On his return he knows what must be done. The Sith Order has become corrupt, and all who oppose him must die.

Githany, Sirak and two other Zabrak attack Bane. Bane knows that Githany will not betray him, and they kill the trio.

Bane confronts Lord Qordis, and tells him he is Darth Bane, Dark Lord of the Sith and he serves no one.

Lord Hoth is the leader of the Army of Light, and has been fighting this war far too long. He is tired and wants peace, but the Sith must be destroyed. He edges ever closer to the Dark Side, and it is taking its toll on him.

Bane has made his way to the Unknown World, Lehon. As soon as Bane touches ground he feels the power of the Dark Side. He touches the mind of a Rancor, and rides it to a stone pyramid in the heart of the jungle. In the lowest level he sees a shining glyph on one of the walls. He touches it with the Force and opens a hidden compartment. Inside is a Sith holocron. It belonged to Darth Revan. With this holocron Bane extends his knowledge of the ancient Sith to levels never imagined.

Githany has a vision on Ruusan. She goes to Lord Kaan and tells him Bane is on his way to destroy them. Kaan goes to Kas'im, the weapons master who taught Bane, and sends him to destroy his former pupil.

\"Those who use the dark side are also bound to serve it. To understand this is to understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation. The Force will change you. It will transform you. Some fear this change. The teachings of the Jedi are focused on fighting and controlling this transformation. That is why those who serve the light are limited in what they can accomplish. True power can come only to those who embrace the transformation. There can be no compromise. Mercy, compassion, loyalty: all these things will prevent you from claiming what is rightfully yours. Those who follow the dark side must cast aside these conceits. Those who do not - those who try to walk the path of moderation - will fail, dragged down by their own weakness.\"

While Bane contemplates his newly learned skills, he has an epiphany. The Sith can only be as strong as its leader, and weak apprentices do not deserve to wield power. Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. The Rule of Two.

Kas'im has arrived on Lehon, and has tracked Bane to the temple of Rakata. Their duel is an epic one. Teacher against student and the battles rages. In the end Bane brings the pyramid down on Kas'im with the Force. On his return, he contemplates how he will bring down the Brotherhood. He plans on using a Sith's greatest weapons: deception and betrayal.

On Ruusan the battles is going well. The Sith are slaughtering Jedi with each passing day. Lord Kaan is still not satisfied, and craves a new source of power.

While in battle Lord Hoth loses his friend and advisor Pernicar. He becomes unstoppable in his fury and kills several Sith. He is confronted after the battle by Valenthyne Farfalla. \"This war has consumed you. Driven you to madness. Madness that will lead you to the dark side!\"

Bane sends Lord Kaan a message drone, inside are sheets detailing a new and powerful weapon. The answer to his problems. It is called a thought bomb, and it will take the required skill of all Sith on Ruusan.

Lord Kaan sends Githany to Ambria to meet with Bane. She intends to finally kill him once and for all. She uses a poison, which she transfers with a kiss. If Bane weren't so powerful with the Force, she would have succeeded. He stumbles upon a family in a land crawler. He leaves his lightsaber on the ground, when one of the children picks it up, he ignites it killing him. Bane draws power from the suffering, and kills the rest of the family. Those weak enough to beg for mercy don't deserve it.

He takes the crawler and travels to get the help of a healer named Caleb. Bane threatens to kill the mans daughter, and he helps him recover from the poison.

Bane travels to Ruusan and confronts Kaan for having him poisoned. He offers to help defeat the Jedi. He shows them how to use the thought bomb, but doesn't tell them it will kill all Force sensitives on the planet. He bids them to enter a series of catacombs, so the Jedi cannot find them. When the ritual begins, Darth Bane makes his escape.

On his trek, he stumbles across a small girl crying. At her side are two Jedi, their necks twisted at odd angles. The Jedi had killed her brother by mistake, and he lost her temper. He takes the girl, in hopes that she will be his new apprentice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12406 by
This was a great book. I am glad that these books go back and give great details about all the dark spots in the main story. It was good to see how a hard life can make a person angry, and lead them in a terrible direction. At the same time you sympathize with Des. And become glad when he reaches his goal of being the greatest of the Sith. I think that the lesson it best teaches us is humility. Bane learns the lesson repeated times throughout. He begins to learn that sometimes brute force is not always the best way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12407 by
OK like i said before there is way to much info to put down and if i put down the dates it would seem like allot more had happend...an it did .So ask me about any thing that I've posted and I'll expand on it.

Bane's birth

Battle of Korriban
The leaders of the Brotherhood of darkness (Lord Kaan Lord Qordis Lord Kopecz)Tryed to re establish the sith training academy on the sith home world of Korriban.
The battle killed ever one how was on the planet at the time.
Due to a Thought bomb

The last touches on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant are made after three thousand years of work.

Prediction of the birth of Luke and Leia's birth is made
An unnamed Jedi Master made a prophecy that predicted the birth of twin brother and sister Jedi of the Skywalker family.
The Master also predicted that a Dark Side Lord would attempt to steal the sister's unborn child, and that the twins would have to join forces to defeat him.

Yoda is born (and all his history from then on is known but to long to put in one post)

Chewbacca's birth

Yoda leads the campaign to expel the Potentium

Mace Windu is born

The Milliennium Falcon is constructed

Darth Plagueis becomes the Dark lord of the sith with Palpatine as his apprentice.

Han Solo's birth

And lastly there are a GREAT DEAL of battles that happened.The biggest one having to do with Bane is the last battle of Ruusan.

Its never officealy said how Bane died only that his apprentice became the new Lord of the Sith.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12431 by
That was a very good sounding sum up of the book. I can see why it took so long lol. Brother Daniel, you said you can expand on anything you put down. I thought here would probably be the best place to ask the question 'What Race Is Jedi Master Yoda?' and 'Why Are There No More Of Him?'

Me and my brother have never known the answer to this. I hope you can enlighten me.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 1 month ago #12442 by Jon
B) Amazing work! Thank you both Br.Dans. Thumbs up for the both of you. Very true, this book shows a very human side to the Sith Mythology. This allows the reader to enter a Sith`s personal story and understand. Thank you both.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12459 by
OK Yoda's race is still unknown but The first Jedi Master of his kind was Master Vandar Tokare from the VERY old republic.And also look at Star wars Ep 1 again and in the Jedi high council room youll see Yaddle a female Yoda.So far thats all i know about Yoda's people...oh and that his race is one of the most sensitive to the force

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12460 by
I also found one more Yoda-like Jedi
His name is Minch for the comic Heart Of Darkness.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12470 by
I also foind this to be a very excellent read. I can't wait for \"the rule of two\" to come out in paperback. It gave a real good perspective on the Sith history and a hint of the old republic. Great reviews.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 1 month ago #12471 by Jon
Yoda

What is Yoda's first name and full name?
Yoda's full name is Yoda D'Kana the Whill

What species or race is Yoda?
Yoda is a Whill.

What planet is Yoda from?
Yoda is from a planet called Grentarik.

Who trained Yoda to become a Jedi Knight?
Yoda was trained by the legendary Bontu Sitmus.

How long has Yoda been on the Jedi Council?
Yoda has been a member of the Jedi Council for several hundred years.

How old was Yoda when he perished?
Yoda lived to be 877 years old.

Who is Yoda's father?
Yokures D'Kana the Whill

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 1 month ago #12472 by Jon
Whills are a vague reference to the relatively omnipresent, yet totally distant Order that George Lucas planned to place the story-teller perspective on in an early draft of the Star Wars saga.

“Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills.” George Lucas (Bouzereau, Laurent (1997). Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays. Del Rey. ISBN 0345409817. )
It was later revealed in the Making of Revenge of the Sith book that the Whills are indeed still part of the saga - the idea being that they are listening to the Star Wars story as related by R2-D2. This nugget of information supports Lucas's earlier claims regarding the droids' centrality in the context of the entire saga, even though Anakin Skywalker is largely considered to be the main character.

Rumors postulate that the Jedi masters Yoda, Yaddle and Vandar Tokare may be Whills, though they are officially designated to be of a “mysterious species” by an official source of canon, the Star Wars Databank. More recently, there has been passing reference to a Shaman of the Order of the Whills in the novel adaptation of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, confirming their existence – to what capacity, though, is arguable.

In the book Star Wars, the events preceding the book are from the \"Journal of the Whills\".

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi