Why purple?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago - 8 years 3 days ago #235682 by
Replied by on topic Why purple?

Goken wrote: I never really read any of the EU but I am getting many of the current Star Wars comics and they are amazing. The Vader Down crossover story in particular was fantastic.

I agree, love these new comics! Great art, amazing story. Brings back that whole "Star Wars" magic.

If you ever want to tackle some old EU though, I'd highly encourage you to try the Thrawn Trilogy . It's the highest rated piece of the EU, it literally picks up after the old movies, and George Lucas took pieces of it and brought it into the movies.

Coruscant, for instance, comes from this Trilogy!! George took it from these books and made it "official" in the movies. :ohmy:
Last edit: 8 years 3 days ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 days ago #235733 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Why purple?
I do not know where I remember reading it but to throw down some 2 cents I've heard before.

Much like someone had posted earlier windu was a master of a unique lightsaber form. This form was designed to specifically leave what looks like obvious openings for attack, or essentially taunt other jedi/sith into thinking they have an advantage or an opening and then close the gap immediately. The act of creating these "taunting" stances while fighting border lined on the dark side as far as acting as a "taunt". By encouraging a specific attack direction/speed/strength from your opponent you always know exactly how to block it and so on was the idea, very effective against the dark jedi/sith aspects.

The purple color crystal was (again from where I read this) given/gifted to windu by the council, it was a very rare crystal from some planet, and they felt as a reward to his ability to master this lightsaber stance/form he earned the rare crystal to go along with it. Someone else also noted its a mix between red and blue, which is fitting for this lightsaber form.

To add to the support of this if you re-watch the duel between him and sidious there are several points where windu leaves "windows of opportunity" intentionally but defends them immediately when acted upon.

Of all the notes/cannon I've ever read on it I think the above is the most appropriate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago #235738 by

Goken wrote: I never really read any of the EU but I am getting many of the current Star Wars comics and they are amazing. The Vader Down crossover story in particular was fantastic.

Do you have copies of the current / new star wars that can be shared? I've been wanting to read them but I don't have the $$ to buy all the books right now.

EU is and always will be my favorite. I was HIGHLY dissapointed in Force Awakens....Like....wow....But I do love Rebels.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #236228 by
This may be off topic, but I wanted to address the whole "Palpatine and Anakin" thing.

It's said that Darth Sidious was the most powerful Sith in the Star Wars history because he was able to manipulate events so perfectly that he went from a Naboo senator to Emperor of the galaxy in about 13 years. He knew about Anakin, had Darth Maul kill Qui-gon (thus being trained by the less experienced Obi-wan: "We'll be watching your career with great interest", as he said the Anakin as a boy), played Anakin into a conflict between him and Jedi Council by appointing him there, the council not making him a master, thus damaging his opinion of the Jedi in general, feeling betrayed by not being made a Master.

Ultimately, Palpatine/Sidious knew Anakin would show up to save his life (Sidious promised he could save Padme's life, which turned out to be a lie—Sidious knew Padme would die), while at the same time betraying the Jedi by killing Mace Windu. In the end, taking Anakin on as an apprentice and making him a Sith.

His power, it seemed, was centered around Prophecy.

More
7 years 11 months ago #236237 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Why purple?

Streen wrote: This may be off topic, but I wanted to address the whole "Palpatine and Anakin" thing.

It's said that Darth Sidious was the most powerful Sith in the Star Wars history because he was able to manipulate events so perfectly that he went from a Naboo senator to Emperor of the galaxy in about 13 years. He knew about Anakin, had Darth Maul kill Qui-gon (thus being trained by the less experienced Obi-wan: "We'll be watching your career with great interest", as he said the Anakin as a boy), played Anakin into a conflict between him and Jedi Council by appointing him there, the council not making him a master, thus damaging his opinion of the Jedi in general, feeling betrayed by not being made a Master.

Ultimately, Palpatine/Sidious knew Anakin would show up to save his life (Sidious promised he could save Padme's life, which turned out to be a lie—Sidious knew Padme would die), while at the same time betraying the Jedi by killing Mace Windu. In the end, taking Anakin on as an apprentice and making him a Sith.

His power, it seemed, was centered around Prophecy.

I would say more manipulation of others under the disguise of prophecy. Tell someone its going to rain tomorrow if it doesn't your just a person if it does your a prophet, until meteorology became a thing to explain it. Also just to throw something else out there I've always argued that its not proven if sidious could or could not have prevented padme's death, as far as having the ability, even if he did, leaving padme alive who was in the star wars lore a very light side anti-empire person, she was also one of the two last anchor's keeping anakin in check(the other being obi-wan). Sidious would have to have had her killed at some point anyway, and again the best way to do that was to turn anakin so that she wouldn't have the will to exist anymore, more manipulation.

Just some thoughts...

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #236290 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Why purple?
Mostly Sidious was just driven, opportunistic and a psychopath IMO, but I do like the idea that the fictional Force allowed some type of precognition (we saw it explicitly with Luke in the ESB), so yes to some extent which in the wrong hands could allow him to twist and confuse his enemies a little bit more.

But to the OP, why purple. I was reading about the three types of bodhichitta, there is the shepherd, the ferryman, and the king.

The shepherd leads a flock to a suitable pasture and provides over watch because that is the job, not paying too much attention to themselves. One takes care of others before oneself and is considered the highest kind of bodhichitta.

The ferryman travels with the passengers, doesn't go ahead or delay their own progress, instead all moves together and considered the second highest kind of bodhichitta.

The third highest kind of bodhichitta is the king, when one attains the goal, and from that seat of power dispenses it to the subjects by doing what is beneficial. This is where oneself is put before others.

If wanting to look at spiritual application in the fictional light (no pun intended), I tend to view the fictional lightsaber colours in that regard, the shepherd uses blue to lead the way, the ferryman uses green to be the center point to stabilize the flow, and the lonely ruler uses purple... which has a history of being considered a 'royal' colour in the real world!

Though its tempting to use green for the shepherd because of the paddock association, and blue for the ferryman because of the water association, hmmmmm?????????/
:lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
7 years 11 months ago #237089 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Why purple?
Ok I finally found the reason here it is under legands: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mace_Windu/Legends

"By age fourteen, the Jedi Council was concerned with Windu, for even though he was at the top of his class, he still could not construct the lightsaber that came to him in visions multiple times. He informed the Council that he wanted a true challenge in order to find the best pieces for his lightsaber. After considering this, the Council sent Windu on his own to the world of Hurikane. While on this mission, Windu was at first chased away by the natives that resided there, but was easily able to resist them using the Force. When he caused one of the fragile natives to shatter, he sobered, and painstakingly restored it using the Force. Learning a valuable lesson about being a Jedi, then he was rewarded by the natives with a violet-colored special crystal. He used this crystal to construct the lightsaber he had seen in his visions and it produced its distinctive violet blade.[6] He would alternate between this weapon and a blue lightsaber he created himself. He also used Eeth Koth's lightsaber, which he obtained when the two Jedi Masters exchanged their sabers during the sacred Concordance of Fealty.[14]"

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi