Kylo Ren's helmet

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215124 by
Kylo Ren's helmet was created by
I'm curious about the need for Kylo Ren's helmet as someone yet to watch Star Wars The Force Awakens, or read any of the novels. I understand the life support purpose for Darth Vader's helmet, but is Kylo Ren only wearing a helmet for anonymity, or to emulate Vader?

Unless the helmet is made from light sabre resistant material, what other reason could the writers have given Kylo Ren a helmet?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215127 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Kylo Ren's helmet
The helmet is protective gear, but then so is the mask ....

Please look at the symbolic, not the "rational" -- the "rational" is irrelevant. There is so much "irrational" in all stories that we would end up not paying attention to the story for picking out what doesn't fit our "knowledge". So, let's ditch the "knowledge" -- it isn't needed.

Any Mask, helmet notwithstanding, must be seen in the sense of poetics : personae (gr. : masks) project the phenomenal person - what is presented to an audience. The symbolic sense is the "audience" is the entire World, and we all wear the masks of our learnt - artificial - identities.

Kylo Ren's is no different, nor was Vader's. As is all of ours on a daily basis .... In the case of Vader's - but unfortunately not Kylo Ren's is the "breath". That was of symbolic significance as well, allowing it to be perceived that, underneath all that artificial, systematised crap there was a "living being". The same is true of us as well.

This is what makes meditation healthy for us : we get to take off our masks and pay attention to that "living being" part which we overlook in most moments of any given day ...
B)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215128 by
Replied by on topic Kylo Ren's helmet
Vague spoiler follows... Vague spoiler follows... Vague spoiler follows... Vague spoiler follows... Vague spoiler follows...

Warning: Spoiler!

Also, we have a specific subforum for Star Wars related posts . Please could a kindly mod move this there?
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #215129 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Kylo Ren's helmet
tzb wrote :

Please could a kindly mod move this there?

Done !

Cheers, Stu ... I hadn't even noticed that ! :blink: :blush:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215141 by
Replied by on topic Re:RE: Kylo Ren's helmet

Alexandre Orion wrote: The helmet is protective gear, but then so is the mask ....

Please look at the symbolic, not the "rational" -- the "rational" is irrelevant. There is so much "irrational" in all stories that we would end up not paying attention to the story for picking out what doesn't fit our "knowledge". So, let's ditch the "knowledge" -- it isn't needed.

to think rational is unneeded in symbolism is unusual to read. without listening to the novels, or watching the movie, prejudice is suffered here.

Any Mask, helmet notwithstanding, must be seen in the sense of poetics : personae (gr. : masks) project the phenomenal person - what is presented to an audience. The symbolic sense is the "audience" is the entire World, and we all wear the masks of our learnt - artificial - identities.

speak for oneself, I'm transparent as can be, no masks or strings on me

Kylo Ren's is no different, nor was Vader's. As is all of ours on a daily basis .... In the case of Vader's - but unfortunately not Kylo Ren's is the "breath". That was of symbolic significance as well, allowing it to be perceived that, underneath all that artificial, systematised crap there was a "living being". The same is true of us as well.

Vader wears his helmet for life support, not symbolism, because there is a man under the helmet. To talk symbolism, the autonomy demonstrated by R2D2 and C3PO symbolises organic character under the machine shell.

This is what makes meditation healthy for us : we get to take off our masks and pay attention to that "living being" part which we overlook in most moments of any given day ...

better to not wear, or just remember to take your mask off, and live honestly

More
8 years 3 months ago #215144 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Kylo Ren's helmet
Oh, good, you're already enlightened. I was worried. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215192 by
Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler! Spoiler! Sort of! Vague spoiler!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215193 by
Replied by on topic Re:RE: Kylo Ren's helmet

Goken wrote:

nice suggestive analysis

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #215197 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Kylo Ren's helmet

Alexandre Orion wrote: The helmet is protective gear, but then so is the mask ....

B)

i enjoyed this analysis

with vader i feel like the mask was also a way to hide

from himself most of all - the mask and suit gave him an embodied alternative to seeing and facing the truth of himself (anakin) by fixating on the exterior vader

maybe im overthinking it, or maybe im just stating the obvious as if its some new discovery lol, but when i read your post thats what came to mind

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215203 by
Spoiler! Spoiler! Spoiler! Spoiler! Definitely Major Spoiler!!!....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi