Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151488 by
Anybody play this game?

It's a tabletop miniatures strategy game in which you fly Star Wars space ships in dog fights. I've been playing a few months and I think it's a great game, especially if you're a geek like me.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151489 by
Replied by on topic Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game
Never heard of it, but it sounds like my cup of tea. I used to play War Hammer and D & D so would probably love this.
Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna do some research on it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151490 by
I've looked at it. Doesn't seem too bad. Not as pricy-looking as 40k or Battlefleet Gothic.

Go go TIE Defenders.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151497 by
I've not really played any other tabletop games but from what I've heard it's quite a lot cheaper to collect. The game mechanics are really good and simple when you get used to them but there seems to be a wealth of tactics and strategy. The Rebel and Imperial forces are well balanced with a good variety of ships to choose from to build your squad and the models come ready painted.

More
9 years 9 months ago #151509 by Kit
Husband and I play it. We (mostly he) also play(s) 40k, Warhamer, and several other miniture games, Magic the Gathering. (as well as Pathfinder and D&D lol)

The minitures are fairly priced, detailed but unfortunatly already painted (but they are well painted and there are lots of folks out there who re-paint or re-build them as specific units or 'uglies' for fun) rules are easy to pick up although I remember feeling a few of them were a little 'backwards' but they just take getting use to.

We had issues where people would bump the minis around so we glued low power magnets to the bottoms of the minis and asteroids and painted a board with magnetic paint (then touched it up with some cover-black before adding stars and airbrushed emblems).

We're working on in-house rules for drifting asteroids :D

Few of the units are unballanced to the point of uselessness compaired to their point cost (Husband complains consistantly about Lord Vader) but it is a fairly new game so they have time to balance them. And the company is not nearly as stingy about their models as the folks who own 40k, so you can pick up packs anywhere from your local game stores to Amazon <3 I think my husband has only dumped a few hundred into it but he's obsessed with minis anyways and is collecting both sides of the war. (which is minimal when you're looking at how much a basic army in 40k is!) They started out with X-wings, A-wings, Y-wings, TIE interceptors, Fighters, and bombers and have extended into the larger ships such as the ...I forget their actual designators but Slave 01, Milenium Falcon, a ship that reminds me of a hawk (and has a simliar name) and even into two 'epic' ships (the Rebels have the transport Princess Leia was in in the first movie. I forget what the Imps got). We haven't had a chance to play the epic battles (move ate all our money) so it's an ever-evolving game.

Games are either a simple 'head to head' type battle or objective based. (hold this objective, get to this spot, capture the flag and bring it back)

Overall it's a quick game to get into, relitivly inexpensive, relitivly simple rules but endless tactical capabilities and the games are never the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151515 by
Love it. I have enjoyed playing it. its very pricy and its a "money pit" but if you just by a few and stick with that, it can be a lot of fun.

More
9 years 9 months ago #151525 by Kit

baru wrote: Love it. I have enjoyed playing it. its very pricy and its a "money pit" but if you just by a few and stick with that, it can be a lot of fun.

That's all a matter of perspective. As far as the minitures world goes, it's very cheap ;)

My husband has a basic tournament ready Warhammer 40,000 army. Not including the time it took to assemble them and paint them, it costs $758 (before taxes) to get. This is including the rule books, dice, minis, paint, brushes, measuring tape, and templates. Everything required to run a 1850 point tournament game (which is standard tournament)

For X wing, a tournament game 100 points. That's as little as three X-wings. You're looking at $78 including an extra set of dice. TIE swarm will run you $135. And you're off to the races! That's all you need for competitive play!

We've paid $350 for all of our ships and can field four lists with ships left over.

As far as a money sink, it's one of our cheaper hobbies lol. And it's fun so I say it's money well spent!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi