Republic Commando novels and the morality of clone armies

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #123004 by
While a proper review may very well be forthcoming (IJRS and JQ have reviews sections), I highly recommend the Republic Commando novels, because they're intelligently written (for Star Wars books) and discuss the ethics and morality of using cloned humans to create a slave army. By the third book I really couldn't help but pity the clones, because they were sentient enough to know what was going on, but pacified enough by training and institutionalization, and kept at bay by their accelerated growth process.

I've just started reading the third book, and the fourth is called Order 66. It's going to be heartwrenching.

Let's take a minute to talk about this. What are your thoughts on the clone army? Inhumane? Slavery? How come the Jedi accommodated to it so quickly, of all people?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Made it into a serious discussion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #123006 by
why was a stupid decision made in the prequels that betrayed former characters?

I have no idea...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #123011 by

sidvkili wrote: why was a stupid decision made in the prequels that betrayed former characters?
I have no idea...

That's what I was going to say :p

More
10 years 5 months ago #123012 by Wescli Wardest
I have not read the books you’re talking about. Nor have I read the books that were made into any of the Star Wars movies. I have seen the movies though.

My understanding (what I got from the movies) is that the clone army was created in secret and under the control of the Galactic Senate. The Jedi were put in charge of the military in the role of General.

If that is the case, then (as a soldier) you do not have a choice of the tools you are given; only what you do with them.

When I was in the Service, I did not choose who was in my unit only what to do with them while they were there. Some were (in my opinion) not fit to be soldiers and some were better suited to the task. Were they clones? No. And I would not support clones being created to fight a war. As odd as it sounds, I would prefer the individual to CHOOSE to put themselves in harm’s way for a cause they believed in. But, if I were appointed leader of a group and they are my responsibility, I will do all in my power to ensure their lives are not dealt with recklessly. Each life is a gift whether it was created naturally or by artificial means, it is a life.

Just a thought…
:)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #123020 by
just musing . . .

it seems Republic commando and cloning could be a metaphor for -

goverments and money changers utilizing data basing
from the industrial revolution to the data base revolution----

the price per unit in pursuit of a bigger buck, and
the desire to control the masses in the name of shared resources

seems to be creating clones by the minute
the creators appearing
in every single industry
in every line of business
in every new regulation
in every meeting of the makers

morality:
seekers and jedi alike
recognize the inherent worth of humans
to be quite unlike cells on a spreadsheet

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 5 months ago #123029 by RyuJin
if you watch the clone wars animated series they show how some clones developed independent personalities, and some even deserted because they didn't want to fight...

watch the movie "the 6th day" it covers cloning as well...

you can clone a person, but they won't be the same person...they're going to have a completely different life experience making them a completely different person...sure certain traits may remain the same, but overall they will be a unique individual...in the movies they were all cloned from a single mandalorian who created their training regiment ensuring they all think and act the same...didn't exactly happen as some troopers showed aptitude as leaders,etc...

what makes america's military so great isn't the weapons, or technology, it's the people...they're there because they chose to be...they volunteered knowing the risks...to me that makes all the difference...they will fight rather then run...someone forced into service is likely to flee or hide at first chance...a weak link...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
10 years 5 months ago #123034 by Amaya
in the books the clones developed independant personalities and some deserted, fell in love and others chose to disobey their built in training and help the jedi.
They may of been created one way but during their short lives they shone as people. They became more than they were.
The Jedi used the clones because that's all they had but they treated them as people not numbers, giving them names and helping them develop.
Great books

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #123038 by
This seems to be two distinct discussions. One about the plot-line of Star Wars and one about the morality of (lets say we did it on earth) created an army, or institution, whereby we took babies (or infants) and told them that they are now, and forever to be soldiers for a particular nations army. (That discussion is independent of Star Wars)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #123046 by

Williamkaede wrote: .

Let's take a minute to talk about this. What are your thoughts on the clone army? Inhumane? Slavery? How come the Jedi accommodated to it so quickly, of all people?

First off I haven't read the books but thanks for the recommendation.

In my opinion it is slavery and wrong because it wasn't their choice to start off with. They were bred to fight, serve and die in a war. it wasn't their war. At what point does a clone become an individual with individual rights?

The question was well addressed in Star Trek the next generation with Data and further explored with the Doctor in Voyager that was given rights eventhough he was a Holographic program. (Now there's pushing it to its limits)

It is an interesting question because at what point will we humans push artificial intelligence in the robots we will create in our near future. If they express a desire or an opinion will we listen or just reprogram them to be less sensitive and make them our slaves?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

More
10 years 5 months ago #124050 by Adder
I always thought the Jedi were rather not involved with the Clone's beyond occasional tactical leadership ie; the Jedi were told that they are going in anyway, but you guys can go in and give them a fighting chance.

Given they were indoctrinated from a very young age, even before birth probably, then its basically slavery because they'd have been brainwashed into a set mold and not be able to break out and be free.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi