Meaning of "Use the Force, Luke!" Scene

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #113932 by

Everyone who has watched Star Wars remembers this scene - that chilly feeling we get when we see Luke embrace the Force and change for the better - all while listening to John William's Music and Obi-Wan's gentle, spiritual voice. This is one of my all time favorite Star Wars scenes, and I'm sure it is yours too.

Have you ever thought about the meaning of this scene? If you think about it, it may not be so clear or easy as you might just assume...

When Luke chooses to "use the Force"...

1) I initially thought that he turned off his computer and stopped relying on R2D2 in order to "connect" or "merge" with the Force and let it guide him through a type of "divine state". No computer + no whining astromech droid = no distractions between him and the Force.

However, I noticed that when Luke fired the proton torpedo into the Death Star shaft, he wasn't in any type of relaxed, focused, or "divine" state. In fact, he was kindof flustered. Keep in mind that he was just about to get shot - then Han Solo saves him and yells in his ear, "YOU'RE ALL CLEAR KID NOW LET'S BLOW THIS THING AND GO HOME." Also, after Luke makes the right shot, he *gasps*, making me feel as if he was super nervous and flustered. Not really the state of mind associated with connecting to the Force.

So...
2) I then wondered if "the Force" was actually a term used to summarize a person's individual skill and potential. Luke turned off his computer and astromech droid because he was "relying on his own, innate skill". Notice that Luke made the shot perfectly the first time he ever shot at it, and he seemed to surprise himself, indicating that he could perform better than he himself anticipated. So does "Use the Force, Luke!" actually mean, "Rely on yourself, Luke!" If that's the case, then it also doesn't really seem like something we'd associate with connecting to the Force.

So in other words, I'm not sure if "Use the Force, Luke!" was telling Luke to be more dependent on himself, the Force, or something else?
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #113949 by Alexandre Orion
Yes, and no, Sean ...

The answer lies in the Hero's Journey.

First, there is that mystical aspect of the Jedi, who transcend death to join with the Force as their own dis-embodied consciousness. Well, that is how it is shown anyway - but Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-gon and Anakin had their own hero's journey sub-plots going on, they were all heroic (the rĂ´les/archetypes in the hero cycle are not fixed, they can change) and their "deaths" can be seen symbolically on this front.

Moreover, for Luke, it was also to let us know that he had taken in the teachings of Obi-Wan. The "mentor" was now 'within'. This is true for any of us when we recall the 'voice' of those from whom we've learnt lessons, especially when that recalling "saves our arse" !

:cheer:

Does that help ?

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ,

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #113951 by Adder
It was an exhaust vent, perhaps the exhaust had charged particles and its flow perturbed the sensors enough to create a false firing solution. Luke's 'old man inner voice' realizes this from his study of starship reactors as a kid - just in time to use his instincts. Why else wouldn't they just shut the vent once they saw the attack strategy. All exhaust vents probably shut at some point, otherwise the reaction would be less efficiently harnessed for power.

It explains why Vader says the Force is strong in this one - he is talking about the vent!! Vader knows its safe from being torpedoed automatically, and no-one would do it manually under such stress so they dont bother shutting it afterall!!!!!

:whistle:

:lol: Just kidding with yaz.

1. He was busy flying so I'd bet his connection was hyper-awareness, not relaxation. Every cell of his body tuned in and connected to the intimate details around him as they unfolded. Firing the weapon though was his original focus so once that was done he snapped back out of it as his new priority was now to run - an inherently fear associated activity because your turning your natural sensors away from the threat, thus severing his prior heightened connectivity to the Force, IMO.

2. He'd been training himself all his life, perfecting the same types of skills as much as possible. It's pretty open ended from there to build an individual interpretation into it for what each person might see as the 'Force' - such as a belief in some genetic lineage of supernatural ability then it could be accessing some supernatural power, or perhaps in accessing the latent powers of the subconscious through specific training which might even come about by accident given sufficient commitment, or just a way to banish fear and reach self empowerment etc etc.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #113953 by
Does the force only flow through us when we are calm?

because I have to confess that I might not have been calm in the begining of my journey.

I didn't break the force did I? :laugh: :laugh:

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 8 months ago #113960 by Brenna

suliskveteba wrote: Does the force only flow through us when we are calm?

because I have to confess that I might not have been calm in the begining of my journey.

I didn't break the force did I? :laugh: :laugh:

So THATS who broke the Force!

I dont actually know. I think youre more likely to percieve the Force clearly when youre calm... but there have been moments in my life where I was anything but calm, yet was absolutely connected.

"Also, after Luke makes the right shot, he *gasps*, making me feel as if he was super nervous and flustered. " - I think thats the moment where taking the right action allows you let go of the tension and worry. Its the peace that comes from having put something in motion and then being able to step back because you no longer have any influence.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #113967 by
This is funny.
I was just thinking about this the other day.
I found myself wondering when (or if) I could "use the Force" in my life and what exactly that meant.
Then I did yoga... sometimes I surprise myself at some of the things I can do, but if I think about it too much I lose my focus and balance. I have to feel the asana and let it happen. There is a certain "energy" involved.. but it's not easy for me to explain. Perhaps that is "using the Force" or letting "the Force flow through you"?
I'm not positive... but I like it. :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #113995 by
I find it interesting that using the Force helped him blow up thousands and thousands of people. The Force helped him be destructive to his full potential!

Why not use the Force to turn their death star ray gun into a flower shooter?

Mechanic: I can't explain it Emperor Palpatine...this is a head-scratcher. The gun won't shoot destructive energy...it only shoots flowers and the Beatles "All you need is love" plays through the station speakers.

Emperor: I hate Jedi.

:P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #114001 by
What was Lukes motivation to become a Jedi Knight?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #114007 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: What was Lukes motivation to become a Jedi Knight?

insulting the eldery?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #114025 by
One of the principles of Taoism is Wu Wei. This can be translated as "effortless action", achieving something without struggle or excessive action, just letting go and allowing the infinite Tao to flow. We are taught this when practicing Baguazhang and Taichi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi