chapter 1

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16341 by
chapter 1 was created by
I found a lot of things from my past in this first chapter, when i was younger i had conversations with a friend about the relativity of good and evil of light and dark, we found that comparison is needed to distinguish good for bad, now as i type this i wonder were we correct perhaps being able to compare the two is not a good thing perhaps it would be better if people weren't good or bad but were just people and now as i type that i find that comparison is mandatory at some level for what are people without a absence of people with out comparison we would have nothing yet we would be unable to have nothing for nothing is the absence of something and without something to compare nothing to nothing does not exist...

i also some religious view that i had previously agreed with, this chapter spoke of how religion is a list of do and don't do — I have always found that while agreeing with many of the teachings and ideas of religion i could never follow a classic religion because i disagreed with how it was thought, i felt that most religions were tough through fear be kind to people OR burn in hell for eternity I've always felt that you shouldn't need a reason to be kind to people you should not have to bribed into being a good person and that's how I've felt about the classic idea of religion

all in all i found the first chapter to be a interesting and though provoking piece of literature and look foreword the posting about the next chapter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16342 by
Replied by on topic Re:chapter 1
Well if I may, for one Christianity is not about being kind to people or you burn in Hell, yes it is the duty of a real christian to be kind and love his fellow man and all of God's creatures but this alone is not what keeps you out of Hell, As for us Christians we believe it is our Love, Faith, and Devotion to Jesus Christ, and the rest of the trinity. Every good Christian does not love the worldly things especially not above Christ because worldly things are inherently evil.

However I do understand your misgivings on mainstream religions I myself have only been a Christian for a little over a year. But I came to learn dont judge a religion by its practitioners, especially christianity.

However very interesting view.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16343 by
thanks for your input i really appreciate it
i meant no offense to anyone

i was using being kind as one example i understand their is more to religion than being kind

i do seek to learn more about religion and understand all view points, that iw shy even though i am not a christian, a jew, or a Buddhist i have a and have read from the bible the tora and the teachings of Buddha
i prefer to find parts of each that i follow as well as add my own

sorry if i offended anyone and thank you for the reply

- the fool

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16344 by
No, believe me I was not offended in the least it was just input and yes I read and study many apects of many religions as well.
But no, no offense was taken.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16345 by
I'm glade :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16347 by
That has got to be the funniest thing I've heard this week.

Quote: \"dont judge a religion by its practitioners, especially christianity.\"

Tom would be freaking out right now.

If you can't judge a religion by its practitioners what can you judge it by? Certainly not the scriptures, because if all practitioners mis-interpret what its saying, and believe they are doing right. That is how that religion is viewed. Luckily, not all practitioners of each religion view and interpret them the same way. Not all Mustlims are terrorists, not all Christians are Crusaders, and so on. So the majority of the population judges a relgigion by the majority of its practitioners. If you have no first hand knowledge of the scriptures themselves, your only way to get an impression about it is to view the people who follow it. Should everyone do research for themselves yes, but can you honestly expect everyone will, no. Personally I'm taking a World Religions class, one for my interest and two so I have better knowledge and am better at proving why religion is the single worst thing to happen to mankind. Such as more Wars are fought over religion than any other cause, throughout history. You would think that would be enough to prove it, but people still argue it.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16348 by
I understand that most everyone will judge a religion based on it practitioners, I do, its inevitable, sad, but inevitable, and yes scripture is open to interpretation but it is the best record we have of our faiths and what it Prophets wanted, and I think if more people judged especially christianity based on Christ rather than christians they would realize most so called christians are not followers of Christs word or what we have as the best record of that word. But as far as religion being the worst thing to happen in the world I totally disagree, religion gives faith not to mention a set of core values and principles, and faith is hope and when hope is all you have that is powerful. But yes I do think that Man is the worst thing to happen to religion not religion to man.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16351 by
Without man, religion wouldn't exist. Religions are something made up by man. A crutch if you will, as you call it hope. A crutch to help get by the times that threaten to overwhelm you. So then when you get by, you believe its because of your \"religous deity\" rather than your own fortitude, further weakening the believer and setting a never ending downward spiral into helplessness.

There is no way to know that Christ even existed, you can say that the bible is a historical recollection of his time, but anyone could have written it. Could have been some bum on the streets of Jeruslum(sp), he could have even written it about himself. Thats not what I believe happened, but it could have. Not to mention, the many times its been translated. So often words don't match up, so translaters try to come up with the closest thing, but it may mean something entirely different. Or the Translator has many translations for the word, and must try to use the context of the rest of the line to guess which version it means. This is not exclusive the the Bible, it happens with all religous texts. King James had upwards of 16 translaters working on that translation at the same time, somewhere something is bound to be screwed up by human mistake. My point is you cannot argue a point with no difinitive proof. You cannot use the bible or qaran as proof. They are books written by human beings. Same goes with the Tao Te Ching and so forth.

Self reliance and internal fortitude is all you need to make it, not a crutch that threatens you with every turn of a page. Rule after rule of things you must or can not do to prevent an inevitable torturous eternity. It just doesn't make sense. Neither does 72 virgins, the only way your likely to get those, is to become a filthy child molester. It doesn't make sense that a God would create an entire galaxy, populate only one planet, with people in his image, give them food, water, and all the good things in life. Then because one sinned, every being after that no longer had any proof of its existance and in turn was bound to eternal damnation for not believing in something it couldn't see.

Call me Crazy!!
DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16363 by
Man I tell you everything you say I wholly agree with for the most part I really truly do believe me I know the Bible has flaws I know that but at the same time you must admit it is the best record we have, those of us who choose to believe in something. I agree about translations etc. and I totally respect where you are coming from, logic, and I do see myself as a logical person I really feel i am. However those with true faith those who know that every word of the bible is given by man whether divinely prophecied is irrellevant (sp?) because man is flawed regardless so yes it is deffinitely flawed and of course the contents of the bible were mainly decided by power hungry Romans at the meeting of Nicea. But true believers I think see past this look for the good and use its parables to enhance their lives and yes coming from a logical point of view there is no real proof of the existence of any of it I only have my faith and I knw what I feel I may be wrong I dont think so but I may be and if I am I guess \"oh well, But i wished I wasnt because ya know Zion would sure beat layin in the dirt all day.\"
And yes I agree without man there wouldnt be religion what I meant to say is The worst thing to happen to Christs teachings (whether he existed or not again irrelevent) was man.
And Im sure thats why he summed them up so simply \"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you\" I always thought this sounded like he was saying \"Dammit you dont get it, you never will so just do unto others as you would have them do unto you, I will sort out those who made it.\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16364 by
Man I tell you everything you say I wholly agree with for the most part I really truly do believe me I know the Bible has flaws I know that but at the same time you must admit it is the best record we have, those of us who choose to believe in something. I agree about translations etc. and I totally respect where you are coming from, logic, and I do see myself as a logical person I really feel i am. However those with true faith those who know that every word of the bible is given by man whether divinely prophecied is irrellevant (sp?) because man is flawed regardless so yes it is deffinitely flawed and of course the contents of the bible were mainly decided by power hungry Romans at the meeting of Nicea. But true believers I think see past this look for the good and use its parables to enhance their lives and yes coming from a logical point of view there is no real proof of the existence of any of it I only have my faith and I knw what I feel I may be wrong I dont think so but I may be and if I am I guess \"oh well, But i wished I wasnt because ya know Zion would sure beat layin in the dirt all day.\"
And yes I agree without man there wouldnt be religion what I meant to say is The worst thing to happen to Christs teachings (whether he existed or not again irrelevent) was man.
And Im sure thats why he summed them up so simply \"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you\" I always thought this sounded like he was saying \"Dammit you dont get it, you never will so just do unto others as you would have them do unto you, I will sort out those who made it.\"

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi