A Requiem for Opportunity

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #334481 by Lykeios Little Raven
I don't really know why, but I was hit really hard by the news of the official loss of the Opportunity rover. She'd been working her butt off on Mars for about 15 years on a 90 day mission (I'll save the "Gilligan's Island" joke). I know a lot of people have deeply felt her "death." Personally, I cried two or three times over a heap of metal and circuitry over her final message: "My battery is low and it's getting dark."

So, I just wanted to mention it as it seemed important somehow. Even though I really didn't follow Oppy's mission, I still had a strong reaction to the news of her final shutdown.

Here's to all the rovers who worked harder than any human on a planet farther than any human has ever gone. They truly executed their duty with distinction and honor. And here's to all the women and men who gave years of their lives to build and direct these creations. Perhaps someday, decades from now, we'll find their remains and make landmarks to their achievements when we reach Mars ourselves. For now, we can be grateful for the wealth of data they sent back to their makers and, perhaps, mourn their loss.

I'll just leave this here for pondering.

Warning: Spoiler!

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334483 by
Replied by on topic A Requiem for Opportunity
Opportunity was groundbreaking. I hope, one day, colonies on Mars will dig it up and put it in a place where all can remember what it means.

One can only imagine half the things that drone found, saw, got to show us. It is saddening to know its time has ended.

More
5 years 2 months ago #334507 by Lykeios Little Raven
Most assuredly!

And yes, I hope for the same. Someday, perhaps.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi