Universe expanding at an accelerating rate?

More
7 years 6 months ago #262223 by Loudzoo
This is interesting . . . if you're into cosmology. A new paper using a data set 10 times larger than the original data set used in the late '90's to 'prove' that the universe is expanding at a an accelerating rate, is much less statistically significant than the original analysis. So the evidence still suggests that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate but now the collected evidence is less compelling than it previously was.

Article: https://astronomynow.com/2016/10/21/the-universe-is-expanding-at-an-accelerating-rate-or-is-it/

Paper [for Gisteron ;) ]: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep35596

Warning: Spoiler!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Lykeios Little Raven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278661 by
Interesting article. I like the idea of moving away from the dark energy requirement (not a Star Wars joke!)... it just sits wrong with me and i think we are creating ideas too easily to explain observations that are themselves tenuous... No dark energy and a constant rate of expansion and I'll sleep a lot better! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278663 by
I have absolutely disagreed with the accelerated expansion and dark energy theory. The assumptions were too grand from not enough knowledge. We have no real clue as to most of the workings of the universe.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311291 by
I'm pretty sure that like gravity (which pulls things together) there is expansion, which does the opposite of gravity. I think they are in a constant war with each other, pulling on each other until one wins and the universe rapidly expands or becomes smaller and smaller.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311297 by
There is no gravity in space unless it is by a star or planet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311299 by

Thanasis wrote: There is no gravity in space unless it is by a star or planet.

Well, that would mean gravity permeates space. Gravity is everywhere. Even those aboard the ISS aren't free of gravity, they're falling constantly, falling faster than gravity's 9.8 meters per second, making them achieve the illusion of floating.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311477 by Adder
I think gravity tends to be just the interaction of energies, the more dense energy having the greater power to influence neighbours, see Hill Sphere and the Interplanetary Transport Network for interesting non-math bits!

Arisaig wrote:

Thanasis wrote: There is no gravity in space unless it is by a star or planet.

Well, that would mean gravity permeates space. Gravity is everywhere. Even those aboard the ISS aren't free of gravity, they're falling constantly, falling faster than gravity's 9.8 meters per second, making them achieve the illusion of floating.

Dunno why they call it falling, as I'd think its more accurate to say its not falling (not going down) - rather just moving fast enough perpendicular to gravity that the gravity has no net effect on its radial distance AFAIK. So I think its taking some liberties with language to associate weightlessness to the phenomena of orbit - but instead just basically meaning the object is still being impacted by the gravity field :D
Else they might as well be saying anything influenced by gravity is falling, in which case being flung out by gravity could be 'falling away' I guess :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311485 by Lykeios Little Raven
Interesting information. Thanks for sharing this, Loudzoo!

On the subject of gravity, I recently started reading an interesting book about dark matter and how it can influence gravitational fields and potentially interact with ordinary matter through it's gravity. Book is called "Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs" and it was written by Lisa Randall (a physicist) if anyone is interested. I haven't finished the book yet, but I believe her thesis is the theory that dark matter could actually have caused the meteorite shower that killed off the dinosaurs. It's a bold claim, but she backs up her theories with evidence. I love the book because it's written in a way I can understand as a layman and yet doesn't pull any punches when it comes to complex concepts and scientific discoveries.

EDIT: Just read the little section she wrote about this very topic...haha. She wrote the book prior to this new information, so she's operating under the premise that the universe's expansion rate is accelerating.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311489 by
Vert interesting! The universe is still going towards the big freeze though is it not?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi