Once Again, Scientists Conclude That There's No Evidence That Homeopathy Works

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247629 by
If there is a doubt on the effect of homeopathy dose, would you drink 1 drop of funnel web spider venom in a glass of water?

I wouldn't!

But i would drink a few drops of a essential oil in a glass of water extracted from a medicinal herb!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247633 by

Tombe wrote: If there is a doubt on the effect of homeopathy dose, would you drink 1 drop of funnel web spider venom in a glass of water?

I wouldn't!

But i would drink a few drops of a essential oil in a glass of water extracted from a medicinal herb!

That's not how it works, bud. ;)

More
7 years 9 months ago #247637 by Kohadre
I'll speak from experience that some homeopathic remedies do indeed work. While they have absolutely no comparison in effectiveness to modern medicine, they still do offer some relief to sufferers with various ailments.

Being poor, I seldom have even a few spare dollars to go down to the drug store and pick up antacids if myself or a family member is unable to sleep due to heartburn, nor do I have the ability to get prescription relief for common colds, headaches, insomnia, or any other variety of ailment.

All I have at my disposal the majority of the time is a small garden of medicinal herbs and spices such as ginger, lavender, feverfew, and turmeric (among others). For me it's not a debate of what is the most effective treatment or whether it actually works - experience has proven homeopathy does work up to a point. What it simply comes down to what can I afford to get and if it's possible to grow on a windowsill. There is no doubt in my mind that prescription medicine works worlds better than my holistic approach, but unfortunately I can't grow aspirin, tums, or NyQuil out of a mason jar.

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247643 by

Kohadre wrote: but unfortunately I can't grow aspirin, tums, or NyQuil out of a mason jar.

You could grow something quite similar and potent, but they have forbidden those plants.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247654 by MadHatter

Kaccani wrote:

Kohadre wrote: but unfortunately I can't grow aspirin, tums, or NyQuil out of a mason jar.

You could grow something quite similar and potent, but they have forbidden those plants.

Really what plants and how are they forbidden? Aspirin has the same properties as willow bark and was made because willow bark causes stomach upset. Tums? Well that is not made from a plant its calcium carbonate and occurs in things like limestone but mint leaves and apple skin have similar stomach settling properties. Then nyquil well that is a hard one but you can get similar effects from pineapple juice for cough, mint to clear the sinuses, chamomile for sleep. In short I do not know what is forbidden that you cant get similar impacts from natural substances.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247658 by
@kohadre: There's evidence that cannabis is analgesic will help in quite a couple of such situations. And there's poppy. They won't kill your stomache like the NSAIDs do. But growing or consuming them is forbidden. You'll get something similar, if you buy from prescription and big pharma, and, by some weird magic, then it's not going to make you dependent.

Or that dependency thing relies on completely different factors (there's research on that). Those used to be herbs that do the job, in case of pain, or cough, or problems sleeping in.

For slighter relaxation of circulation and mind, hops and hawthorn may do the job. They should be available :) And there's the possibility of trying a few drops of sesame oil for the sinuses, hot steam with salvia, or rinsing with salty water (probably the best alternative). Mint doesn't really clear them, it stimulates cold receptors, which suggests your body the air you breathe has more oxygen that it actually has. Still some sort of relief, true.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

More
7 years 9 months ago #247659 by MadHatter

Kaccani wrote: @kohadre: There's evidence that cannabis is analgesic will help in quite a couple of such situations. And there's poppy. They won't kill your stomache like the NSAIDs do. But growing or consuming them is forbidden. You'll get something similar, if you buy from prescription and big pharma, and, by some weird magic, then it's not going to make you dependent.

Or that dependency thing relies on completely different factors (there's research on that). Those used to be herbs that do the job, in case of pain, or cough, or problems sleeping in.

Using weed or opium for a cough, head ache, or sleep issues is like trying to drive a nail with a sledge hammer. Now I think people should be able to use what they want but seriously over kill much? Everything I listed should work close to the drugs described without knocking you out or impairing judgement. What you are talking about is for far more serious matters then aspirin and ny quil would or should be used for.

Knight of the Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247660 by
I'm not judging what should be used for what. I'm only talking options and legal status.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247661 by MadHatter

Kaccani wrote: I'm not judging what should be used for what. I'm only talking options and legal status.

Well fair enough. I just think the comparison to the drugs listed is a bit of a reach. I mean those are for the sniffles and so forth. What you are talking about is far more potent and really doesnt seem to fit the categories of the medicines listed. But I get where you are coming from.

Knight of the Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 9 months ago #247668 by Leah Starspectre
I think it's important to differentiate between homeopathy, which is heavily diluted ingredients (as in, diluted usually 30 times or more) in water, and natural medicine, which is helping symptoms using plants/herbs/minerals.

Natural medicine is proven effective, homeopathy is placebo at best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi