The sound of some local planets.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #146913 by
I will preface this interesting video with an explanation. Every star and planet in the universe has a radio wave signature. It's own unique "sound". These examples are taken using powerful radio telescopes, which convert the radio waves into data. The data has been further converted into the audible spectrum. These sounds are unique, and as you can hear, every planet has it's own unique "voice". The voice of Saturn is particularly interesting, and honestly a little unsettling to listen to. Actually made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Headphones are best, but speakers work fine. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/ToXaNUjNfS4

BTW. If you can't tell by now, I LOVE SCIENCE. An engineer by trade, and scientist by heart.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #146915 by
Replied by on topic The sound of some local planets.
Thanks, EEJim! I love this stuff as well. :) I often listen to the NASA Voyager Recordings (Symphonies of the Planets) CDs. They were originally released in the early 1990s and contain music created through the conversion of electromagnetic vibrations recorded on the Voyager during missions. I'll paste more info below in case you're interested.

Description from last.fm :

"Although sound does not propagate through interplanetary space in the same way that it carries in Earth’s atmosphere, outer space being virtually devoid of atmosphere, there exist similar phenomena - such as electromagnetic vibration in plasma ejected by the Sun. The Voyager space probes launched by NASA gathered field recordings of the interaction between the solar wind and the magnetosphere of various planets and moons in the Solar System.

This interaction results in vibration within the range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which is also the range of human hearing. When returned to Earth these field recordings can be made audible, allowing us to hear the distinctive sounds that planets and moons generate in the solar weather.

The recordings come from a variety of different sound environments and are listed as follows:

1. From the interaction of the solar wind with the planet's magnetosphere, which releases charged ionic particles within a vibration frequency in an audible range (20 - 20,000 Hz).
2. From the magnetosphere itself.
3. From the trapped radio waves bouncing between the planet and the inner surface of its atmosphere.
4. Electromagnetic field noise within space itself.
5. From charged particle interactions of the planet, its moons, and the solar wind.
6. From charged particle emissions from the rings of certain planets."
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #146930 by Edan
I never even knew this was possible. Thanks both of you for sharing.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 10 months ago #146954 by Llama Su
Solfeggio frequencies :)

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #146956 by ren
What generates this type of very long wavelength?

(Also, earth sounds noisy, and I quite like Miranda)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 10 months ago #146963 by Llama Su
The simplest most absurd answer I can think of is the vibration of the planet, the movement... :blush:
I honestly do not know, just a guess....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #147042 by

ren wrote: What generates this type of very long wavelength?

(Also, earth sounds noisy, and I quite like Miranda)

Most radio waves are created by particles jiggling and colliding with each other. What type of wave is created (microwave, xrays, etc) depends on the energy of the collision. But it also wouldn't surprise me if a planet's tremors or something else also plays a role in the unique wave signatures they give off.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159186 by
This was quite interesting, it gave me the feeling the planets are alive, kinda sound like some intergalactic dolphins or whales ...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi