Crash Course Philosophy Club! - Episode 1: What is Philosophy?

More
1 year 8 months ago #369990 by Silenus
So here we go. I finally have the time to dedicate to doing this. So here's the plan. Thursday is still an open day on the TotJO Calendar, so we're going to shoot for Thursdays at 1pm Eastern (same time the Tuesday Studyhall is). Discussion of the video will be held in the #philosophy channel of the Temple Discord. Since the first video is setting the stage for the course, it should give you a feel for how the other videos are going to go.

This week's video is 10:34 long.

Talk to you on Thursday.

https://youtu.be/1A_CAkYt3GY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3, Ashria, River

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #369991 by Rosalyn J
I'll have to read and contribute on lunch

But I'll be there

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silenus

More
1 year 8 months ago #369992 by Silenus
Some further info about the whole idea here:

Goal: Watch Episodes of Crash Course Philosophy and then discuss our thoughts on each lesson and how it intersects with Jediism.

When: Once a week (except for Holidays) - have a discussion on the Temple Discord.

Current Timeslot: Thursdays at 1pm Eastern?

Time Issue: There is some flexibility with the time slot, it will likely evolve over time to adjust to accommodate as many people as possible that want to participate "live"
The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
1 year 7 months ago #370092 by River
I'm about to watch the video for today's discussion and had to search a bit to find thus post so I figured I'd bump it in case other folk are looking too :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
1 year 7 months ago #370093 by
I should rewatch the video before this afternoon. But I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate. Since that's during my work hours.

More
1 year 7 months ago #370101 by Silenus
I know the timeslot can be a little weird for North American folks in the Temple. Hopefully you enjoyed the video. Did you have any big takeaways from it? We talked on the discord about how it made the idea of "philosophy" less hoity-toity and more down to earth and practical. Personally, I'm looking forward to building up this toolbox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #370103 by River

Silenus wrote: I know the timeslot can be a little weird for North American folks in the Temple. Hopefully you enjoyed the video. Did you have any big takeaways from it? We talked on the discord about how it made the idea of "philosophy" less hoity-toity and more down to earth and practical. Personally, I'm looking forward to building up this toolbox.

My biggest take away was similar to the "it's more down-to-earth than it sometimes pretends to be" idea. What stuck with me is that philosophy is really just figuring out what you believe about how the world works, and why, and that as long as you can back up your ideas with good reasoning you're good to go... even if someone else disagrees or has different ideas that also seem to have good reasoning behind them. That means that philosophy is personal and ever-evolving, and that's good too.

And yes, I definitely enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to next week.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silenus,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi