Philosophical Health Check

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148217 by Wescli Wardest

The Philosophical Health Test has identified the following 3 tension in your beliefs:

Statements 1 and 27: Is morality relative?
48% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil
The tension between these two beliefs is that, on the one hand, you are saying that morality is just a matter of culture and convention, but on the other, you are prepared to condemn acts of genocide as 'evil'. But what does it mean to say 'genocide is evil'? To reconcile the tension, you could say that all you mean is that to say 'genocide is evil' is to express the values of your particular culture. It does not mean that genocide is evil for all cultures and for all times. However, are you really happy to say, for example, that the massacre of the Tutsi people in 1994 by the Hutu dominated Rwandan Army was evil from the point of view of your culture but not evil from the point of view of the Rwandan Army, and what is more, that there is no sense in which one moral judgement is superior to the other? If moral judgements really are 'merely the expression of the values of a particular culture', then how are the values which reject genocide and torture at all superior to those which don ot?

Seeing how the instructions in the test state to choose the answer that closets fits; the results are not surprising. Also seeing how we follow a set of beliefs that are not popularized, there may be added differences.
Morality is something set by culture and era but there are certain aspects that pertain to all human life which is common and be agreed upon. And arbitrarily exterminating a people for any reason is an act of evil which (except for a few crazy people) can universally be agreed upon.

Statements 10 and 23: Is there an all-good, all-powerful God?
28% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
There exists an all-powerful, loving and good God
And also that:
To allow an innocent child to suffer needlessly when one could easily prevent it is morally reprehensible
These two beliefs together generate what is known as 'The Problem of Evil'. The problem is simple: if God is all-powerful, loving and good, that means he can do what he wants and will do what is morally right. But surely this means that he would not allow an innocent child to suffer needlessly, as he could easily prevent it. Yet he does. Much infant suffering is the result of human action, but much is also due to natural causes, such as disease, flood or famine. In both cases, God could stop it, yet he does not.
Attempts to explain this apparent contradiction are known as 'theodicies' and many have been produced. Most conclude that God allows suffering to help us grow spiritually and/or to allow the greater good of human freedom. Whether these theodicies are adequate is the subject of continuing debate.

I believe in the Force and the will of the Force. Suffering is something we see in the universe and is a creation of man. Where we see other life forms suffering, we do not know that other life forms recognize suffering for what we see it to be. Sure they are not happy with their predicament, but then we are associating another human emotion with other life forms. And without some suffering there could not be rejoicing or glad times. There is a time and reason for everything.

Statements 22 and 15: What is the seat of the self?
31% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
Severe brain-damage can rob a person of all consciousness and selfhood
And also that:
On bodily death, a person continues to exist in a non-physical form
These two beliefs are not strictly contradictory, but they do present an awkward mix of world-views. On the one hand, there is an acceptance that our consciousness and sense of self is in some way dependent on brain activity, and this is why brain damage can in a real sense damage 'the self'. Yet there is also the belief that the self is somehow independent of the body, that it can live on after the death of the brain. So it seems cnsciousness and selfhood both is and is not dependent on having a healthy brain. One could argue that the dependency of the self on brain only occurs before bodily death. The deeper problem is not that it is impossible to reconcile the two beliefs, but rather that they seem to presume wider, contradictory world-views: one where consciousness is caused by brains and one where it is caused by something non-physical.

Brain damage can take away the individual ability to experience being as we understand it in a corporeal being. We continue on in the Force after our physical bodies have died.

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148218 by
Replied by on topic Philosophical Health Check
i thought I would have vary few but I ended up with seven, I did not understand a couple when I read them the first time. But after I reread them i understood what they meet and I would change my answer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148220 by

Akkarin wrote: As a philosophy student I dislike this test lol, some of the questions are philosophically ambiguous.

Agreed:

Statements 8 and 18: What is faith?

25% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God

In disagreeing with the first statement, you are acting consistently with the general principle which states that in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it. For example, it is not possible to disprove the possibility that there are invisible pink fairies at this moment circling the planet Pluto, but we don’t countenance it as a real possibility because there is no evidence for their planetary activities. This is not to be thought of as a matter of faith, but of sound reasoning. But asserting that atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God contradicts this principle. It replaces the principle 'in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it' with the principle, 'in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it requires faith not to believe it'. For this reason, atheism is not a matter of faith in the same way as belief in God. In short, belief without evidence (a form of faith) is not the same as non-belief due to lack of evidence (rational refusal to assent).

I simply don't agree with that assessment. If it is wrong to believe in something something because it is impossible to prove one way or the other, it is equally wrong to believe in the absence of that thing. If we can't know either way, then neither abject belief or abject denial are rational.

I understand the point it makes about the burden of proof, but I feel that's an unhelpful concept in metaphysics. Even if you disagree with my viewpoint, surely that's an obvious conclusion. It's known as agnosticism... pretty common perspective. Theists "strongly" believe in something I feel they have no evidence for; atheists "strongly" disbelieve in something I feel they have no evidence for. The point is, I believe we (should) require evidence before forming a strong opinion either way. There's no "tension" there.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #148222 by SilverWolf
I could not copy the graph, however I scored 40 and the average is 27. It said I had 6 tensions...however, I believe that some of these questions were not entirely fair:

Statements 10 and 23: Is there an all-good, all-powerful God?
28% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
There exists an all-powerful, loving and good God ( yes, I was raised to believe in God and Jesus, the Bible, it wasn't until much later that I broadend my beliefs)
And also that:
To allow an innocent child to suffer needlessly when one could easily prevent it is morally reprehensible( I was raised that this was a given)

You agreed that:
There are no objective truths about matters of fact; 'truth' is always relative to particular cultures and individuals
And also that:
The holocaust is an historical reality, taking place more or less as the history books report
( To both of these, It is something I just believe in my heart. The question of Objective truth: Everyone has a different view on what the truth is)

54% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
The environment should not be damaged unnecessarily in the pursuit of human ends
But disagreed that:
People should not journey by car if they can walk, cycle or take a train instead
( I live in Georgia, My parents live in Virginia. While I agree that if you can afford it, taking a Train is beneficial...not everyone can afford it. and If I walked or rode my bicycle to my parents house, I'd have to sleep for 3 days just to get my energy back... :lol:

You agreed that:
Individuals have sole rights over their own bodies ( you try to tell a woman how to or not to feel and see what happens...there are some women out there that if you tell them what to do or how to feel, they will react so badly it would scare the sith emperor into hiding) ....and no, I'm not married for those of you who joke about " you must be married SilverWolf" :lol:
And also that:
Voluntary euthanasia should remain illegal

( If the person is truly suffering and it is a last resort method because keeping them alive would mean they would live in constant pain, then yes, euthanize them. But to take a life needlessly, is not right)

You agreed that:
Severe brain-damage can rob a person of all consciousness and selfhood ( If a Invididual is so severely damaged they are basically kept alive by a machine, in my belief, that is not a healthy way to live, because it does take a mental toll on everyone in that person's life)
And also that:
On bodily death, a person continues to exist in a non-physical form ( watch the clip of Yoda explaining the force to luke before Yoda lifts the x-wing out of the Water, There is a lot of truth in what he says)

You agreed that:
The government should not permit the sale of treatments which have not been tested for efficacy and safety ( a lot of companies make medicines and I believe cut corners to get it out quickly, I believe that this is wrong)
And also that:
Alternative and complementary medicine is as valuable as mainstream medicine ( herbal medicine has been around for centuries in Asia, and in Native American culture, so it must have some value.I am currently learning all I can about it.

Anyway, This is what the results of my test were

SilverWolf

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #148228 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Philosophical Health Check
People seem to struggle with Atheism. Atheism means "no faith in god". NOT "faith in no god".

Agnosticism means there is no way to know.... And you can bet the vast majority of atheists are agnostics, as the main reason for lack of belief in god is the lack of evidence for a god.

The atheist lack of belief in allah is different from let's say, christians' belief that allah doesn't exist.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 10 months ago #148232 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Philosophical Health Check
It said I have 4 tensions...

I read what they had tooffer and respectively, I don't believe I have any.

in my opinion 2 of the tensions were not tensions. First the thing about art being a taste... my reply to the second question was MY taste. Then the things about truth... oh god I don't even want to enter that discussion!!! Also morality,... again I gave MY opinion... ×_×

I didn't recognize one of the words in a question that resulted in a tension

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148233 by

ren wrote: People seem to struggle with Atheism. Atheism means "no faith in god". NOT "faith in no god".

Agnosticism means there is no way to know.... And you can bet the vast majority of atheists are agnostics, as the main reason for lack of belief in god is the lack of evidence for a god.

The atheist lack of belief in allah is different from let's say, christians' belief that allah doesn't exist.

Indeed, most people are agnostic atheists: they don't know if there is no God but they don't believe in one.

It is different to a gnostic atheist: they know they is no God.

A gnostic atheist you might argue is representing a belief, they choose to believe that there is no God in the same way a gnostic theist believes there is definitely a god.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148237 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Philosophical Health Check

Akkarin wrote:

ren wrote: People seem to struggle with Atheism. Atheism means "no faith in god". NOT "faith in no god".

Indeed, most people are agnostic atheists: they don't know if there is no God but they don't believe in one.

It is different to a gnostic atheist: they know they is no God.

A gnostic atheist you might argue is representing a belief, they choose to believe that there is no God in the same way a gnostic theist believes there is definitely a god.

I have an atheist friend who used to go on and on about how god isnt real, blah-blah....

He would post links and articles on it...

I ask him, why he did it, he said something about 'waking people up' and 'protecting them'....

I said, "From what"... He basically said "the evils of religion"....

I said,"so you are basically a 'Atheist Preacher'?"

The posts slowed, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion, MCSH, Llama Su

More
9 years 10 months ago #148246 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic Philosophical Health Check
Third times a charm for me... :laugh:
No tensions in my belief...
First Average
Second time around, below average
third time, no tension...
I would have gotten it right the second time around, accidentally clicking on an agree, when I disagreed.

I enjoyed seeing the contradictions, and the explanation of analysis.

Br.John, how did you score? If you do not mind the question. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148248 by

ren wrote: Atheism means "no faith in god". NOT "faith in no god".

It can be either. From the OED:

atheism
Line breaks: athe|ism
Pronunciation: /ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m /
NOUN

[MASS NOUN]
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Or, from the eternally reliable Wikipedia:

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi