Druidry

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121393 by
Druidry was created by
Awen(pronounced ahhhhoooennnn)

A curious mind and friend I might add asked me about my signature. The symbol I always use. I thought, why not share it with all of you. My way of adding to the great wealth of knowledge here at the Temple.

/|\

The three rays.

‘Awen’ is a Welsh word roughly translated as ‘divine inspiration’ (In Irish, the word for 'awen' is 'imbas.') The Welsh word is Indo-European in origin and comes from the root ‘-uel,’ which means ‘to blow.’ In this sense, it could be seen to mean, ‘that which takes one’s breath away.’ In other words, the Awen is that which is awe-inspiring.
The Awen that consists of three descending lines, in this manner: /|\. The most basic interpretation of this symbol is three rays of divine light descending to the Earth, bringing inspiration. It is one of the most meaning-rich symbols in most Druid traditions.

Sometimes the rays are topped with three dots. The three dots represent the three drops from Cerridwen's cauldron of inspiration that Taliesin received. These three drops led Taliesin to be a great bard. The rays represent divine inspiration coming down from above.
There are many interpretations of the symbol, which was invented during the Druid Revival in Great Britain in the 18th century. The three lines can represent earth, sea and air, or sun, moon and earth, or body, mind and spirit, or love, wisdom and truth. There are no right or wrong interpretations. Each individual Druid derives his or her own meaning from the symbol.
More important than the symbol itself is the idea it represents. Awen is the concept of divine inspiration. It is the inspiration of truth. The core element of Druidry is to seek the Awen. The tools and techniques of Druidry are designed to help a Druid achieve Awen. If you've ever had an 'ah ha!' moment, when the solution to a problem seemed to come to you in a flash, you've experienced Awen. If you've ever been particularly moved by a piece of music, or a well-acted scene from a drama, you've experienced Awen.
Another triad of the Awen is Emotional Mind/Rational Mind/Wise Mind. In Emotional Mind, you're reacting totally based on your emotions. For example, if you have trouble controlling your anger, you are in Emotional Mind. Rational Mind, on the other hand, it totally devoid of emotion. Think of Mr. Spock from Star Trek. Wise Mind is the balance of Rational Mind and Emotional Mind in perfect harmony. Wise Mind is the source of poetic inspiration. It is the Awen.
The Awen can represent balance between Chaos and Order, or Earth-Sea-Sky, or the triple nature of the Goddess, or the Triads, or any of dozens of other interpretations.

Jayden
/|\

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121394 by
Replied by on topic Druidry

Jayden wrote: Awen(pronounced ahhhhoooennnn)

A curious mind and friend I might add asked me about my signature. The symbol I always use. I thought, why not share it with all of you. My way of adding to the great wealth of knowledge here at the Temple.

/|\

The three rays.

Best defined by the BMOD. (Black Mountain Order of Druidry)

‘Awen’ is a Welsh word roughly translated as ‘divine inspiration’ (In Irish, the word for 'awen' is 'imbas.') The Welsh word is Indo-European in origin and comes from the root ‘-uel,’ which means ‘to blow.’ In this sense, it could be seen to mean, ‘that which takes one’s breath away.’ In other words, the Awen is that which is awe-inspiring.
The Awen that consists of three descending lines, in this manner: /|\. The most basic interpretation of this symbol is three rays of divine light descending to the Earth, bringing inspiration. It is one of the most meaning-rich symbols in most Druid traditions.

Sometimes the rays are topped with three dots. The three dots represent the three drops from Cerridwen's cauldron of inspiration that Taliesin received. These three drops led Taliesin to be a great bard. The rays represent divine inspiration coming down from above.
There are many interpretations of the symbol, which was invented during the Druid Revival in Great Britain in the 18th century. The three lines can represent earth, sea and air, or sun, moon and earth, or body, mind and spirit, or love, wisdom and truth. There are no right or wrong interpretations. Each individual Druid derives his or her own meaning from the symbol.
More important than the symbol itself is the idea it represents. Awen is the concept of divine inspiration. It is the inspiration of truth. The core element of Druidry is to seek the Awen. The tools and techniques of Druidry are designed to help a Druid achieve Awen. If you've ever had an 'ah ha!' moment, when the solution to a problem seemed to come to you in a flash, you've experienced Awen. If you've ever been particularly moved by a piece of music, or a well-acted scene from a drama, you've experienced Awen.
Another triad of the Awen is Emotional Mind/Rational Mind/Wise Mind. In Emotional Mind, you're reacting totally based on your emotions. For example, if you have trouble controlling your anger, you are in Emotional Mind. Rational Mind, on the other hand, it totally devoid of emotion. Think of Mr. Spock from Star Trek. Wise Mind is the balance of Rational Mind and Emotional Mind in perfect harmony. Wise Mind is the source of poetic inspiration. It is the Awen.
The Awen can represent balance between Chaos and Order, or Earth-Sea-Sky, or the triple nature of the Goddess, or the Triads, or any of dozens of other interpretations.

Jayden
/|\

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121411 by
very interesting explanation, thanks.

evnetually, the Awen could be the Force.

More
10 years 6 months ago #121412 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Re:Druidry
Indeed, thank you for the explanation both in your message and here, my friend!

Much appreciated. I really like the concept of Awen.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
10 years 6 months ago #121457 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Druidry
Kewl, very interesting!!!

Without the dots, just the three lines as portayed in your sig looks like the edges of a tetrahedron that are not on its resting plane, minus the vertices... viewed from a slightly elevated position looking down to it. Nice!!

:silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121474 by
Thank you Jayden
While I did not know “Awen”
i could feel the symbol
thank you for sharing about it
i often experience and see in triads, really dig them

recently the circle with a dot in the center came to me . . hence the avatar . . .
a form of the Great Rays, Ra, Creation

am inspired to ask my Welsh friend to tell me his understanding of Awen and how he experiences it

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121475 by
Thank you for sharing. May you find peace in your life... but more importantly whithin yourself.

Jayden
/|\

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229175 by
Druidism, or Neo-Druidism? Any particular sect?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi