Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129778 by
Replied by on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

Jayden wrote: Definition of Paganism:

Paganism is not a single religion, but an umbrella term for all those religions other than the Abrahamic faiths of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. A Pagan is a person who follows one of those other faiths. Many Witches, Wiccans, Reconstructionists, and other Neo-Pagans simply identify themselves as Pagan or Neo-pagans when talking with others who may not be familiar with the complexity of the different belief systems.

This can make it sound like "Paganism" is a religion instead of a collection of religions. Neo-paganism should also not be confused with the "New Age" movement, as Pagans are almost exclusively involved in distinctive religions while New Age spirituality draws from many sources and esoteric spiritual techniques which are generally added as an extra layer on top of whatever religion one normally follows.

paganism is not every religion but... it's just not of christianity, judaism zoroastrianism etc etc. Not everything but... but not of"..." religion. It is an umbrella containing all religions yet none ( sounds philosophical I know)

here's a context, I say what do you want to drink?
" not coffee"

technically this contains every drink asides coffee, but it's not really saying anything because the same situation could say " not soda" or " not tea" . This is how " pagan" translates in religion... you aren't putting religions under an umbrella, making a claim or anything else... you aren't saying anything at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129779 by
Pagan:

A somewhat vague term derived from from the Latin word paganus. Pagan is a term which refers to a variety of different religions ranging from Wicca, to that of ancient Egypt and even Hinduism, among many others. Some Pagans are of no specific religion, but rather are eclectic. In general Pagan religions have more than one deity, or many gods which are aspects of one (an idea similar to that of the Christian trinity). Another quite common feature of Pagan religions are that they tend to be nature oriented. Pagan can also be used as a derogatory word for any non-Judeo/Christian/Islamic religion.

That's from the dictionary Sidvkili. It reads Pagan is a term which refers to a variety of different ***religions*** . But I guess it is a possible the dictionary is wrong. Ha!ha! Notice how I accentuated religions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129780 by

Jayden wrote: Pagan:

A somewhat vague term derived from from the Latin word paganus. Pagan is a term which refers to a variety of different religions ranging from Wicca, to that of ancient Egypt and even Hinduism, among many others. Some Pagans are of no specific religion, but rather are eclectic. In general Pagan religions have more than one deity, or many gods which are aspects of one (an idea similar to that of the Christian trinity). Another quite common feature of Pagan religions are that they tend to be nature oriented. Pagan can also be used as a derogatory word for any non-Judeo/Christian/Islamic religion.

That's from the dictionary Sidvkili. It reads Pagan is a term which refers to a variety of different ***religions*** . But I guess it is a possible the dictionary is wrong. Ha!ha! Notice how I accentuated religions.

screw it... I'm too tired for this... I'll accept defeat from an uncited dictionary. Had it from less lol

More
9 years 2 months ago #181838 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

Lykeios wrote: Am I the only one hereabouts? I'm a Hellenic Polytheist reconstructionist but would be interested to find any Hellenic pagan Jedi (recon or not). I see a lot of more eclectic and "earth-based" traditions around but not many obvious Hellenes.

I feel that Hellenismos, especially in re: Greek philosophy, meshes very coherently with Jediism and would love to hear opinions on the subject! Even if you are not Hellenic, I'd be happy to hear from you!

I thought this was an interesting topic and hopefully we could get back on track. Mixing Hellenistic Paganism with Jediism.

Has anyone had any success with this in their own personal path? How do you view the Force within the tradition and culture of Hellenisnos? Do you see it as something from the Gods are something that is beyond, within, and of the Gods? Or something else all together?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
9 years 2 months ago #181844 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?
That is one of the benifits of Jeddism, it's compatible with many alternative faiths. I usually try not to mix the two, (unless i am performing Magick) as I am Capricorn and everything is either left brain or right brain compartmentalized. My beliefs in regards to the Force are logic based, I work with energy and have conducted experiments that have led me to the conclusion it does in fact exist. My Paganistic beliefs stem from my creative side, and it is from Paganism I have found that much alluded balance in my life. I follow both because there is inherent value in both within my life...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Figment

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #181863 by
An excellent question. One close to my heart.

Joseph Campbell's insightful discussion of the symbolism of Greek myth in The Hero With A Thousand Faces presents the case for a syncretic Jediism (Jediism blended with other myths and religious symbols). In his analysis of how the ancient Greeks expressed the monomyth, of particular interest is his discussion of the myth of the Minotaur and related aspects found in the myths of Pasiphae, Theseus, Daedalus, and the labyrinth.

While the monomyth is a helpful structure by which to analyze aspects of plot and archetype, I do not believe the only key to understanding myth is found in a Freudian interpretation. Each mythic culture should be understood on its own terms. That there are so many variations on the monomyth is what is most interesting. What is unique to the Greeks, that is, how they formulate the monomyth is of greater interest to me than reducing it (and all myth) to the psychological processes of maturation. Greek myth is not uniform. Local variations, when not be overlooked, add to richer appreciation of the diversity of their mythic worldview.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #182439 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Hellenic Pagan Jedi?

Zenchi wrote: My beliefs in regards to the Force are logic based, I work with energy and have conducted experiments that have led me to the conclusion it does in fact exist. My Paganistic beliefs stem from my creative side, and it is from Paganism I have found that much alluded balance in my life. I follow both because there is inherent value in both within my life...

I like this idea, separate but together. Two different ideas yet one in the workings of your own life. Nice.

I have asked others' opinions, but haven't given my own.

I view the Force as just another name for the Divine Essence, the String Theory, Chi/Qi, Prana, the Holy Spirit, etc....that which binds us all. I think it flows through the Gods as it flows through us, trees, stars, insects...all.

Is it a god(s) itself? I don't know. I am not sure that it has a consciousness that we (as humans) can recognize, but it does guide us. Now is the Force being guided by the Gods or part of the Gods' will? Again, I don't know. Perhaps one day we will find out these questions. Right now it is just food for thought.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Figment. Reason: misspelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
8 years 9 months ago #197391 by Lykeios Little Raven

Figment wrote:
I thought this was an interesting topic and hopefully we could get back on track. Mixing Hellenistic Paganism with Jediism.

Has anyone had any success with this in their own personal path? How do you view the Force within the tradition and culture of Hellenisnos? Do you see it as something from the Gods are something that is beyond, within, and of the Gods? Or something else all together?

Hm, good question. While I hesitate to say anything is "beyond" the Gods I have to say I think the Force is. In my personal view, the Force is analogous to the Universe, the Tao, or perhaps "Khaos." This would make the Force the most primeval of all "things." I'm also sort of an emanationist. This means I feel like everything "flows from" and recedes to the Force/Tao/Khaos/etc.
I used to call this Source "Eru," the Elvish (Quenya) term for "God." I am NOT, however, a monotheist (clearly) and therefore am uncertain whether this is the best term to use. Still, I like it.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
8 years 2 months ago #223814 by Lykeios Little Raven

Alan wrote: What is unique to the Greeks, that is, how they formulate the monomyth is of greater interest to me than reducing it (and all myth) to the psychological processes of maturation. Greek myth is not uniform. Local variations, when not be overlooked, add to richer appreciation of the diversity of their mythic worldview.

I am guilty of forgetting this at times as well. That is why I feel it is so important to start my own "rituals" and practices as I worship and attempt to commune with the Gods.

Personally, I am not averse to the idea of adding newer heroes and heroines to the pantheon. This, to me, does not seem like any kind of insult. If anything I feel like the Gods would appreciate this as an act of bringing a refreshing newness to their religion.

The difficulty, for me, is finding heroes and heroines who I would not be insulting by honoring. For example, there are a great many I can think of who were Christian in life. I wouldn't want to dishonor them or existing heroes by treating them as deified mortals. I suppose if I really want to add a more modern element to my practices I will look harder.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #305933 by Lykeios Little Raven
I’m beginning to wonder if I really am the ONLY Hellenic “Jedi”...:laugh:

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi