Human indifference

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43564 by
Human indifference was created by
A child in China was run over by a car few times before anyone decided to help her, even though many people came by. The video is here, but I don't recommend anyone to watch it..

It's really sad how indifferent people can be. I cannot imagine how could all those people just ignore her...

Please share your thoughts...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #43565 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Human indifference
I've seen similar things before, however it was in a LOT of traffic and the victim wasn't so young...

Someone on youtube says "It's not simply because they are selfish, it's because in China, you can get SUED if you HELP others. It's the law that is the problem, not the people. It is very sad."

I don't know if that's true, china being sort of communist originally... in my home country these people would be considered criminals, and might even do more time than the van driver who originally hit the kid.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43566 by
Replied by on topic Re: Human indifference
I have heard about the issue with law before, but I'm not really sure about it. How can be helping others under such circumstances against the law?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
12 years 7 months ago #43569 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re: Human indifference
Its no secret how blatently evil the Chinese government can be. We only have to turn to Tibet, Tiananmen square, their merciless eviction of their own people to make room for the Olympic stadiums, the over kill abuse of their environment, the poisonous cheap production and selling of toys for our children, no freedom of speech etc... .

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43600 by
We had a chinese intern teacher in my history (obviously she was a history teacher in china) and we juat happened to be covering the period of time that the Tiananmin square incident happened. The chinese history teacher had absolutely no idea what it was, and had never even heard of it before. It was a bit of a shocker to me to see that the chinese government could cover up something so public with such a large political backlash.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #43611 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Human indifference

Tseen Keh wrote: I have heard about the issue with law before, but I'm not really sure about it. How can be helping others under such circumstances against the law?

I don't know about it being against the law, however...

Here, in my local area, we are protected by "Good Samaritan Laws"....
This was not always the case....

If, you help someone, and do it wrong, in some places, you are held responsible.... You can be sued for wrongful death, (if you don't know what you are doing, why did you try to help?) And even charged with a crime....

Little things, "don't move an injured person, you could aggravate the situation..." or, possibly breaking a rib doing CPR, or the Heimlich maneuver, opened up possible lawsuits....

It led to exactly what you see in the video.... It's not that people don't care, they just care enough to feel a bit sad.... Not enough to risk their own safety, or well-being...

I am not sure how much I would want to risk my families well being... My freedom, my money? OK, less problem... But, I have a family, what happens to them if I go to jail, or are sued for everything I have? My family and I have to suffer for trying to help someone? Baloney...

I'm sure many of those people thought, "Aww, how sad...", then turned away to resume thinking about, whatever it is they were thinking about....

There is a state, here in the U.S., (New Hampshire? Maine? Rhode Island?), I an pretty sure, that actually makes it a crime to not do something if you are able...

It is how they ended the last episode of the TV show "Seinfeld", and they were jailed for not helping someone... .

And that's baloney as well... It should be up to me, not dome lawmaker....

There's my two cents....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43616 by
It is the same reason as why someone might not clear the snow off of the pavement. What if they do it but then there's ice and someone slips over and breaks a bone?

If you make a mistake you can suffer consequences, regardless of what you were trying to do.

It is a shame that such a behaviour has arisen in society.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #43618 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Human indifference
That's only in britain, the land of health and safety gone horribly terribly wrong. Everywhere else people clear their pavement.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43619 by
This kind of falls into the same category as the whole "all it takes for evil to happen is the inaction of good people" or whatever.

Like others have mentioned, the unfortunate part is the fact that it can end up working out very badly for the person trying to help etc. I mean we can all talk about how much these people should do more, and I agree with all of that, but there are a lot of factors at hand.

I know that I personally, at this point of my life, would have helped, but I am also understanding of why it might have been hard for people there to do it. It's an unfortunate truth of the world we live in.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #43620 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Human indifference
Some stores will not clean their walks of snow and ice..

The reason?

If they do a bad job, it is poorly maintained.... and can be sued

If they don't do it at all, it is an act of God, thus they (the store) cannot be sued....

Crazy, huh....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi