• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 10 months ago #40115 by ren
Dead woman in pool was created by ren
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13986769

When a nine year old kid tells a lifeguard his mom hasnt resurfaced, and the guy doesn't jump in, something is really wrong. And 4m isn't very deep you should definitely be able to see the bottom... Should definitely have failed inspection, and not be open in the first place without permit. I'd also like to know how some kids breaking in can see a corpse and report it to the cops when employees who supposedly got paid to check the pools after closure failed to see it.

I come from a country where pools are highly regulated and i fully approve most of those regulations but this is way out of order.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 10 months ago #40119 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dead woman in pool
Very shocking and sad. The lifeguard not doing anything when the woman was reported to have not resurfaced is extremely disturbing. How the pool stayed open without the permit for that long and then passed with the water being so cloudy that people can't see the bottom of a 12 foot pool is ridiculous. The accident or whatever happened might not have been preventable, but basic maintenence and attention of lifeguards could have saved her.

More
12 years 10 months ago #40128 by Alethea Thompson
"One of Ms Joseph's friends said the boy had told a lifeguard Ms Joseph was missing but that no checks were done and her friends thought she had simply left the pool."

Kids do not often articulate what they mean. If the child said "I don't know where mommy is", then it does not constitute as "mommy didn't come out of the pool with me! Mommy's drowning/dead!" *cry, cry*

This article does not cover all the details. So I cannot judge the lifeguard accurately. But what I can do, is judge that a certain health inspector should probably be fired over this and the book on what constitutes a certified pool rewritten. The staff that did not notice the body, administrative leave-with investigation- is the proper response.

How the teenagers found the body but the inspectors didn't. That's easy, if the pool is as cloudy as this article suggests, then the kids found out because they were in the pool diving below the surface with their eyes open. It would not surprise me if they were engaged in some sort of game where they were chasing after one another.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 10 months ago #40130 by
I agree on how it was easy for the teens to find the body. That was my guess also, they were diving or swimming to the bottom and if eyes are kept open the body would be seen.

But with the lifeguard though, he should have done something, anything, when the child said the woman was missing. Even if it was "I don't know where my mommy is", "or I don't know where Ms Joeseph went". At a pool when someone goes missing that should alert them to at least take a simple look to make sure nothing is awry. Of course, since the water was cloudy they wouldn't have seen her, but there should have been some kind of response. The child was 9, old enough to get the point across to an authority figure without it being childish babble.

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 10 months ago #40176 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Dead woman in pool
what i was thinking Cynthia, 9 year olds should definitely be taken seriously. And even if the mother had indeed left her kid (3 or 9, doesnt matter) at the pool, wouldn't common sense tell you to call the cops, not let the kid leave with someone who claims to be a friend, says "oh she must have left"... And don't forget the body was discovered by some kids breaking in, not by the police who should have been contacted at some point to investigate why a woman vanished at the swimming pool and hadn't been seen in two days.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 10 months ago #40202 by
Yes, that is what I meant also. 9 year olds, or an child for that matter, should be taken seriously when they say that someone is missing. I think some kind of investigation should have went on.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi