Fight the Disrespect from One by Disrespecting All?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302204 by

JLSpinner wrote: I find no disrespect with the kneeling. Yes it's during the national anthem, I understand. What value does a nation have if it doesn't value it's people? We all have the freedom of speech and expression in the US and it shouldn't be removed because it causes discomfort. Infact I encourage thoughts that cause discomfort.

^This. But I would add my opinion that engaging in peaceful protest to call attention to injustice both is, and shows the highest respect for, an American ideal. Dump the tea in Boston harbor to protest unfair taxation, and you're a patriot. Boycott the buses to protest racial inequality, and you're a civil rights icon. Take a knee to call attention to the unfair treatment of young men of color by police and prosecutors? Good on you.

And to the idea that persons with fame and/or notoriety somehow have less justification to engage in protest by virtue of their fame, I would argue that their fame might well give them a larger responsibility to call awareness to the issue. "Shut up and sing" doesn't sit well with me, never has. At best, maybe five people might ever hear anything I say about an important issue. If you got a million people watching, and you don't take the opportunity when moved to do so?

Oh yeah, one more thing: yesterday was the first time in recent memory that I saw a network actually cut away from their pre-game analysis to even broadcast the singing of the anthem. How are talking heads continuing to talk over the national anthem any less disrespectful than taking a knee?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302205 by Adder
It's probably intended to indicate the concept of escalation. They know who their audience is, and so if the requests of the cause are not met, then expect to see more protest infringe more and more into your life. As they have other avenues to protest.

And they could defend it by saying their protest is actually in line with the nations values, and that the audience needs to be informed that the 'flag has fallen', as a patriotic duty, that the nations values are being abandoned by the leadership (in their opinion).

So while it was a really respectful way to be disrespectful, lol, it is pushing some boundaries given they have other viable avenues of protest (given their profiles and wealth) and that the culture and climate of racism in the US is.... complex.

As long as it doesn't hurt anyone and was solemn I don't mind. But it sets a precedent to go off the rails, and I agree with others here, they are just sports people, give us a break..... if I want political advice I'll ask a Kardashian :sick:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302206 by
Sam, I mean no offense here, but how do you know their intentions? Did you ask them? Did you read everyone's mind?

I ask this because we are all guilty of assuming intentions now and then in life. We project our own feelings onto others and infer nefarious motives.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

More
6 years 6 months ago #302220 by Eleven
I grew up every morning standing with my hand over my heart and reciting the pledge of allegiance and during assemblies and during football, wrestling and other sports throughout my life stood in honor of the flag of the United States of America. I don't hear that as often these days except special events I've been to. Every time, I do get that chance I stand and sing along and it brings tears to my eyes every time I love this country.

I understand the America that I grew up in is a far throw from the America that younger folks are living in today (I'm 31). Perhaps, that's a bias opinion it appears every generation thinks their gen. is better than the current growing up gen. My parents thought my gen. was very ungrateful (And we are), My grandparents generation thought their gen. was better than my parents and so on.

Perhaps also, to hold an attachment to a flag and country isn't right for a Jedi to hold because we speak of Universal perspectives not national but, what is good for all people and things in our world. However, this is one situation where I do not agree because I love this country and for what it has stood for and we've done good holding on to these certain core values. I think as time has gone on society has gone from being about the good of the people to the good of the individual. Those who knelled during it to me are not heroes it's rude and disrespectful. I know it some countries in the world you could be imprisoned for showing disrespect of this nature.

Jesus said, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and give unto God what is God's"
My point being:

No matter where you are and this goes for Jedi as well. Honor those your around regardless you like or believe in it or not be respectful of others and their feelings. Just got with the flow.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302222 by

Sven One wrote: I grew up every morning standing with my hand over my heart and reciting the pledge of allegiance and during assemblies and during football, wrestling and other sports throughout my life stood in honor of the flag of the United States of America. I don't hear that as often these days except special events I've been to. Every time, I do get that chance I stand and sing along and it brings tears to my eyes every time I love this country.

I understand the America that I grew up in is a far throw from the America that younger folks are living in today (I'm 31). Perhaps, that's a bias opinion it appears every generation thinks their gen. is better than the current growing up gen. My parents thought my gen. was very ungrateful (And we are), My grandparents generation thought their gen. was better than my parents and so on.

Perhaps also, to hold an attachment to a flag and country isn't right for a Jedi to hold because we speak of Universal perspectives not national but, what is good for all people and things in our world. However, this is one situation where I do not agree because I love this country and for what it has stood for and we've done good holding on to these certain core values. I think as time has gone on society has gone from being about the good of the people to the good of the individual. Those who knelled during it to me are not heroes it's rude and disrespectful. I know it some countries in the world you could be imprisoned for showing disrespect of this nature.

Jesus said, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and give unto God what is God's"
My point being:

No matter where you are and this goes for Jedi as well. Honor those your around regardless you like or believe in it or not be respectful of others and their feelings. Just got with the flow.

For the most part I agree with you. However I encourage anyone to voice themselves against issues that they cannot ignore. Our blade defends the wicked. While these men probably aren't Jedi, they felt compelled enough to risk fine, penalty, and abuse to let everyone know that the status quo isn't good enough anymore. We can't ignore these issues and hope they go away. My view, any who.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302232 by OB1Shinobi
Racism is a big deal to me, as I consider it one of the defining topics of the current era. I reject the marxist push for class warfare (aka group identity politics) but i also recognize the need to be honest about our society and our history, and be willing to admit our flaws and update our views and policies. I dont believe the police shootings should be viewed purely or even primarily as an issue of racism, but i acknowledge that blacks as a group are affected by it more than whites as a group, and i understand that to many black people it looks like "white america" really doesnt give a shit if they get murdered and beat, and unfairly arrested and convicted.
I dislike the move to politicize everything and turn everything into a group identity vs group identity campaign, and i dont absolve anyone of the consequences of their own bad decisions, but i also would like to see mainstream white americans be willing to say "ok i acknowledge there is a problem, lets fix it", rather than complaining about a slight (very slight) deviation in the normal pattern of their football game.

Police (and government generally, but its especially time to focus on the police) need to be held accountable when they mistreat american citizens, and no offense is meant to OP or anyone else but i think that's way more important than football.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, , , Kobos,

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302234 by Lykeios Little Raven
Frankly, I don't see how Colin Kapaernick was being disrespectful at all. Honestly, taking a knee looks more "respectful" than standing. In any case, he didn't do what he did to "disrespect" the national anthem or the flag (which no more deserves respect than the red, white, and blue cloth it was made out of). He did it to bring attention to and protest the social injustices in this country.

Just because these people that are protesting police violence and the inequality that still runs rampant in this country have a few million dollars doesn't make them any less an American citizen with all the rights (and privileges) inherent in being such. For Zeus's sake Trump is a friggin BILLIONAIRE and apparently no one cares that he, in a public speech, referred to American citizens as "sons of bitches" and suggested that NFL teams (part of the private sector of the economy, which the president should have nothing to do with apart from trying to improve the economy anyway he or she can) fire them simply for exercising their constitutional right to protest. If anyone is being "disrespectful" or "unamerican" it is our "president."

Furthermore, the minute we make it illegal to protest the national anthem is the minute we invite in things like the Espionage act with its subsequent amendment the "Sedition act." The minute we say it is not OK for American citizens to protest or make a statement about anything is the minute we invite in abridgements to free speech and our other "unalienable" rights.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kit, , , Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302252 by
A. Colin Kaepernick raised awareness of an issue. He didn't create the issue. Using his fame to shine a light on injustice is no different than any other celebrity telling you to donate to a children's hospital or save the shivering and beaten animal by donating to PETA. Fame is a mouthpiece, but it still has to be used with an effective message to make a difference. His message was clearly received by many other members of the NFL who agree. It is Donald Trump who is off message and misusing his mouthpiece of fame and power. Ask yourself, who has the ability to launch nuclear weapons and who feels powerless even being approached by cops. Then ask yourself who should be held to the higher standard.

B. These players do not get invitations in the mail to join the NFL. They work their entire lives to reach that level and their families often make huge sacrifices in order to make the dream of playing at a professional level come true. It is unfair to discount the work they put in to gain the money and fame if you won't hold our "president" to that standard. He called these people "sons of bitches" on a Twitter account followed by millions. What good has Trump done to earn his billions? Inherit his daddy's money? Scam people? Declare bankruptcy? You want to point out hypocrisy? The president is slapping you in the face with it.

C. The flag and anthem represent a nation founded on a Constitution. The First Amendment of said Constitution is first for a reason. It guarantees freedom of SPEECH and the right to PEACEFUL protest. NFL players are exercising this right with RESPECT for the Constitution and the nation that was founded by it. To call their action disrespectful is to wholly misunderstand the founding principles of this nation. It is disrespectful to these individuals and every other American to imply that the Constitutionally guaranteed rights do not apply to them, or anyone else for that matter. Our military swears to protect and defend the Constitution, not decide who gets the benefit of it. Disagreement with the message of protest does not give anyone the right to deny the fundamental INALIENABLE rights. These were not granted by the government or a president. "Inalienable" means these rights are inherent and granted by a higher power and cannot be taken away by a misguided bafoon on social media.

D. I am an Eagle Scout and believe every strongly in treating the flag and our anthem with respect, but the hypocrisy of people complaining about players kneeling while eating a cheeseburger off of an American Flag paper plate in the parking lot of these games is way too obvious. How many people at home or in the bar get off the couch or bar stool during the anthem, if it is even played on TV at all? You know that trendy thing of displaying a huge flag over the field during the anthem? That is in direct violation of the code that designates proper display and use of the American Flag. Wearing it as a fashion statement is also against it. Saluting it out of uniform used to be against it until recently. Too many people think they know what is respectful and not without even researching the history or correct behavior concerning the flag. People are uninformed.

E. Multiple owners of NFL teams donated millions of dollars to Trump's campaign to give him a platform to call private citizens "sons of bitches" and then he called on them to deny the rights of players and for them to be be fired for no just cause at all, so let's not pretend that money or fame or power has ANYTHING to do with the protest being made here. It is about corrupt policy and the complete lack of civility in politics and law enforcement. It's people on the other side who have the money and power.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302255 by
I appreciate the thoughts on the subject. I understand the underlying motives and issues as being valid and needing attention. I recognize the importance of the first amendment, and do not intend to suggest that my original post or others made in this thread, are directed at the actual policy questions, issues, or rights being exercised in the actions.

I personally do hold a higher affection for the United States Flag and the Star Spangled Banner, and do not view them as mere fabric and music. They are symbolic of something greater than an individual or single issue cause. I am aware that not everyone holds those symbols with the same regard, and to the extent that is their perceived "right" to express themselves in ways that seem unproductive to me, so be it. I am sure many of them would find my thoughts or actions to be unproductive too. Though it remains my right to be disgusted with their behavior.

To clarify/re-iterate: My primary point of contention, as suggested in the thread title, is more to question the appropriateness of the actual implied actions that they sought to fight disrespect by being disrespectful.

My mom would call that: Childish Response #4. "Well...Tommy was doing it too....!"

P.S. It was not the intent of my original post, or as far as I can tell,any of my follow-on responses, to discuss the merits of the underlying questions entirely. I have attempted to specifically keep the discussion geared towards how we handle our selves and whether the tit-for-tat actions were necessary, on either side for that matter. We could certainly discuss domestic policy and inequalities, as those are valid issues needing attention...but I feel those questions belong in a different thread.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302259 by
Not, the tit for tat shouldn't be necessary. But for those involved, maybe they are running out of options. In a perfect world we could all talk rationally and find compromise. In this world sometimes you have to improvise.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi