[Open Discussions] "Negro" and "Oriental" removed from (US) Federal Laws

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252387 by Rosalyn J
EDIT: Split per request from 'rant' thread... Quoted post sparked conversation:

Attachment h61a092e.JPG not found

No, it won't. Its simply saying that in federal law, these terms will no longer be used. Please read the article that you have referenced it says in federal law the following words will be replaced:

Negro will become African American
Oriental will become Asian-American
Spanish-speaking will become Hispanic
Indian will become Native American
Eskimo and Aluet will become Alaska Natives

Again, this references federal law, not the speaking patterns of average Americans.

Edit: Sorry, didnt realize this was a rant. Still, just wanted to clarify
As it is, we have a long way to go, but this is a good start. As for how people identify in terms of heritage, ask them. I personally identify as Rosalyn

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, OB1Shinobi, Leah Starspectre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252388 by FTPC
yes it will Because when I get pissed a racist remark will fly and cuss words, verbally
and I hope trumps burn the bill because it takes away my FREEDOM of speech

Joined Monday 14 January 2015 16:03 guest -
Friday, 24, January 2015, 16:03 pm member
Wednesday may /18/2016 13:04 pm. Novice -
Thursday, July/ 17//2020 time 19:42 pm - Initiate rank-
Monday 20 Jul 2020 19:43 pm Apprintace- to Wescli Wardest
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by FTPC.

More
7 years 8 months ago #252389 by Leah Starspectre
Take it into a new thread if you want to discuss, please :)

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252391 by FTPC
deleted

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by FTPC.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252392 by FTPC
deleted

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by FTPC. Reason: show of respect

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #252433 by Jestor
Split....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252435 by
Hmm, I guess whenever those words are used in the law anywhere it will now seem a little less related to the negative historical contexts of the old words? Nothing wrong with that? Why thread exists?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #252438 by TheDude
How utterly pointless. I remember listening to Dr. King's speeches where the term "negro" was used with pride, as an alternative to the less respectful "colored". Which, as far as I can tell, was originally used as an alternative to the less respectful "n word", or so we're now expected to say, as if certain words themselves are automatically unacceptable. And yet these terms, such as "African American" are now being claimed by some to be racist, the term "people of color" being preferred as a less offensive alternative. Doesn't that sound familiar? Doesn't that make you sick? I wonder what new term we'll use in 20 years once "people of color" is decided to be racist. It is an idiotic and endless cycle of words replacing words replacing words, each time one suffering from the exact same issues of the previous ones. This kind of pointless language policing may appease the most social justice warrior-y among our government and citizens, but it absolutely does nothing to solve any issue, it is doomed to follow the example of the previous terms, and it is an utterly pointless and ridiculous thing which I'm disappointed that our elected officials have even wasted their time talking about when there are literally riots breaking out in the streets of our cities.

Does anyone want to guess what the next buzzword for dark skinned people will be? Here's for "biological human of historically African descent", since I think that would appease the language police for a few years longer than "people of color" might.

More
7 years 8 months ago #252444 by Leah Starspectre

TheDude wrote: How utterly pointless. I remember listening to Dr. King's speeches where the term "negro" was used with pride, as an alternative to the less respectful "colored". Which, as far as I can tell, was originally used as an alternative to the less respectful "n word", or so we're now expected to say, as if certain words themselves are automatically unacceptable. And yet these terms, such as "African American" are now being claimed by some to be racist, the term "people of color" being preferred as a less offensive alternative. Doesn't that sound familiar? Doesn't that make you sick? I wonder what new term we'll use in 20 years once "people of color" is decided to be racist. It is an idiotic and endless cycle of words replacing words replacing words, each time one suffering from the exact same issues of the previous ones. This kind of pointless language policing may appease the most social justice warrior-y among our government and citizens, but it absolutely does nothing to solve any issue, it is doomed to follow the example of the previous terms, and it is an utterly pointless and ridiculous thing which I'm disappointed that our elected officials have even wasted their time talking about when there are literally riots breaking out in the streets of our cities.

Does anyone want to guess what the next buzzword for dark skinned people will be? Here's for "biological human of historically African descent", since I think that would appease the language police for a few years longer than "people of color" might.

In order for politicians to care, it has to have come from the people, so clearly a need was felt from the people to change the terminology.

Language evolves, and we need to evolve with it. Especially when it comes to terms that involve demeaning another group.

More
7 years 8 months ago #252447 by Rosalyn J
That's the problem with labels. They evolve and people's feelings about them evolve over time. Nobody puts baby in a corner (if that makes sense). The box called (insert particular label concerning physical, mental, emotional, geographic, and/or spiritual features) does not fit everybody, but its easie(r) to simply shove them in a box (sometimes we even put ourselves there) than look at them as a person.

This law is a millimeter towards progress when it comes to labeling racial or ethnic groups in law, but its a long way from getting rid of labels entirely, which is what should ultimately happen

The law (federal in this case) does very little to change the way people talk and interact with one another. Case and point, I have been called retarded, cripple, handcicapped, deformed, and I have heard someone be called a stupid nigger (I'll never forget it). The law says we ought not to use at least some of those words

But, people are still going to be assholes. We (the people who will not be defined by our labels) have to make a conscious decision to stop giving these people the time of day. If we have the power, we need to move away from the relationship. If we dont have the power, we need to inform someone who does, for example, the police.

The reason why racial slurs are frowned upon can be summed up by this verse: "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (Luke 6:45) and its not that far of a leap from a word to an action.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi