Points of Pilgrimage

More
7 years 9 months ago #250311 by Brick
Points of Pilgrimage was created by Brick
The below comments by Aqua and tzb caught my attention in the 'A Real Physical Temple' thread and I thought they were possibly worth discussing further. Not wanting to detract from the discussion in that thread I have copied them here (hope thats OK).

Aqua wrote: There are many who do not like to visit crowds of people. Why not create a monument or specific place dedicated to Jedi, without all the tralala around it? Just point out an area or specific spot or spots in a country.. and Jedi can come and go there whenever they feel in the mood to do so.

No weird crowds, no weird money costs, and no weird administration around it. Just meeting points! Like a circle monument in a estate forest that was already there.. (I know a few), or few roads that come together, maybe just below the Eiffel Tower, Who cares! :laugh:

Before one can realize physical temples, there first need to be a crowd to 'need' it, and a crowd to 'feed' it. Meeting points can be used by any and all, and is way more flexible. Only thing is that I am not sure if any person would like to use those points... Because when you want to go somewhere else, these points do not serve its original kind of purpose anymore. (unless there are points to somewhere else of course!)

tzb wrote: I really like that idea. A spot in each country which the Jedi of that country feel is especially appropriate... perhaps somewhere well provisioned with restaurants, hotels etc so that meetups can take place there.

Something that embodies what the Jedi of that country feel is especially apt, by which is not within Jedi control... just as the Force is not in Jedi control.

Points for pilgrimage. :)

At the same time, and forgive the dissenting voice... for Jedi, with our faith in the Force, all is equally sacred, all equally mundane. The Force is no more present in one spot than another... but that's not to say it can't be especially clear in certain spots.

We could make a map of these "Forcely places", which we could all contribute to. But, I feel I'm drifting off topic here...

I was really just curious to see what kind of places people might pick within their respective countries? Or if there were an interest in creating a monument/sculpture and if so, what would it look like etc?

Anyways, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the matter. :)

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Breeze el Tierno, , Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #250320 by Breeze el Tierno
I also like this idea. It would have to be somewhat unofficial, but two come to mind for me:

Lake Minnewaska just outside of New Paltz, NY and, even moreso, Walden Pond outside of Concord, Mass.

These are the places I go when feeling connected is very difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250326 by
Replied by on topic Points of Pilgrimage

Cabur Senaar wrote: I also like this idea. It would have to be somewhat unofficial, but two come to mind for me:

Lake Minnewaska just outside of New Paltz, NY and, even moreso, Walden Pond outside of Concord, Mass.

These are the places I go when feeling connected is very difficult.

Just to quickly point out the inherent problem with this idea.

There is no way in hell I would never....ever....be able to get to New York. Much less somehow magically be there....at those two locations....the same time Cabur is.

Its a great dream idea. But realistically....its not so realistic.

I would obviously pick a spot near me. How many of you will ever be in Ella Sharp Park Michigan? ;)

Not trying to be a sour killjoy.....Just saying. The world is a big place....and Jedi isn't that big. You will have better luck meeting pokemon go players at your chosen "Monument" than you will Jedi.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250329 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Points of Pilgrimage
Both those places look beautiful Cabur! *dashes off to book flights to NY* :)

I completely see your point Triss. I was thinking more of specific locations for arranging gatherings rather than simply 'bumping into Jedi'.

For example, the UK gathering always previously appeared to be a kind of 'London Pub Crawl', which whilst good fun :laugh: didn't really distinguish the meet up from a day out with your mates. Whereas the last two years have been held at Louzoo's B&B which provided us with 'our own little space' to chat and perform ceremonies etc, which all contributed to the gathering feeling that little bit more unique/special.

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Brick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250330 by
In that case....My own backyard ;) Since...ya know. We have been a point for traveling Jedi since 2002 :-p with....8? Gatherings held here XD

More
7 years 9 months ago #250331 by Breeze el Tierno
Sure, but if you had previous contact with someone, you could schedule to go there together. Sort of a micro-gathering.

So, if someone was in Massachussets, or going there, they might say, "I'm headed to Walden Pond. Anyone interested in meeting me there? And then someone might say, "yes! That sounds like fun!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250332 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Points of Pilgrimage

Trisskar wrote: In that case....My own backyard ;) Since...ya know. We have been a point for traveling Jedi since 2002 :-p with....8? Gatherings held here XD

Fairplay :laugh: But thats exactly what I mean! I'm sure to a lot of people that have attended your gatherings, your backyard is a unique spot that they associate with being around other Jedi's.

I just like the idea of having somewhere like that, a place with the same effect but without the risk of not being allowed to visit because the Jedi living there moves house or something

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Brick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250334 by

Brick wrote: a place with the same effect but without the risk of not being allowed to visit because the Jedi living there moves house or something

Things change. Jedi you once thought were friends becomes nothing. Places get moved, heck....in my home town we have a few monuments that were taken down and had planet fitness gyms built atop of it. Just happens. We learn to adapt.

I plan to move. Some place out in the country where i can have more land, goats, chickens...Horses!!!!

But just because I moved....dosn't mean my dedication to hosting traveling Jedi will (pending any major and unexpected change that forces adaption) Heck XD If I had things my way, The place I move to will one day support gatherings annually.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250336 by
So, one in every state where there's demand for them.

And yes, not private property. Kind of the point that it's somewhere just anyone can go.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250353 by
Just wondering, if it would be on a written map, what if possible points would be split up into categories, displayed on the map? Followed up with an accessibility number? Or would it be more handy that someone would create these points with google maps? Or some other system.. Little bit curious.. :)

A - Highly accessible [next to a highway, train station, airport, or ferrie]
B - Easy accessible [Capital city, Big city, A-location with a bit extra travel time]
C - Accessible [Small city, B-location with long travel time]
D - Hard accessible [Just everything that is not an A, B or C location!]

#1 - National point / State point
#2 - Province point
#3 - Region point
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi