Action !!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249567 by
Action !! was created by
Since joining the Temple I have always felt that the Jedi of TOTJO are an underground organisation, one which has it's meetings and it's forums and generally shies away from the public eye. It has also come to my attention that there are many people who follow the Jedi faith but do not belong to any particular organisation, but would like to. I am not suggesting that we advertise, but what I am suggesting is that we make ourselves known to the public, just as the church of England is and other religions are. A step towards this is, perhaps, fundraising and buying a plot of land in the States or the UK where we can build an actual Temple. I understand that most of us have families and have permanent residencies elsewhere, but I feel that we should do this. Also, have the Jedi have a role in politics or stuff like that, and try to convince people that we are not a bunch of Star Wars super nerds, and that one day, Jediism can be appreciated as something real not just a religion spawned from some sic fi movies. Thank you, and may the Force be with you all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249575 by
Replied by on topic Action !!
I definitely agree with this, it would be a brilliant step for the Jedi and it would show others our way as well!

24 hours ago, I finally got around to telling my some of my closest friend and my girlfriend about this site, even though I've been here for a month! I didn't not want to tell them, I just kept being "too busy". A part of me expected not to be laughed at but for my new "habit"be seen as odd. I can happily say I was greatly surprised! I was not seen as odd and while my friends probably wouldn't become Jedi themselves, they respected my decision!

If we as a community were to do what Silas mentioned above, I have a feeling it would go much better than expected. After all, there is no difference between my example there and what Silas suggests; just that one is on a larger scale! And as well all know, "size matters not" ~ Yoda

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249578 by
Great idea.

Go do it.

:)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249713 by
:laugh: One cannot achieve great things alone :laugh:

More
7 years 8 months ago #249718 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Action !!
Well Silas, what have you done so far towards those ends (besides this thread)?

In the immortal words of the Princess Bride "come now, we are men of action, lies do not become us." If you're volunteering to convert your house to a church, I might make a pilgrimage :P

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249719 by
I think making a thread is all he can do at this point. What would you do if you were in his shoes?

EDIT: And I think having a real temple is a great idea.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249722 by
But to move this idea forward, we would need to get the council involved so they could start a fundraiser. First we need public interest.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #249725 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic Action !!
I believe it should be idea -> plan -> action.

The idea is there, but nothing else really. Take a second to think this through, merely a call for action and then waiting for others to do it for oneself seems odd. Maybe look up the checkpoints? It’s not the first building to be build.

Where would it be? Country, federal state, city … and why? How well is it connected, where can visiting jedi sleep (if not in the temple itself) – those are the prompts I get when thinking of location.
How would it be build? Architecture, what elements would be incorporated (meditation rooms, library, hall …), will it be accessible and offer accommodations for the vast variety of cultures jedi are a part of, will it be compliant with laws of its location?
How will it be financed? Even if the initial amount to buy the land and build the temple is raised, there will be costs to sustain it, costs for repairs, maintenance, taxes …
How will it be run? Will there be jedi on site daily, welcoming and guiding visitors, how will it be maintained (cleaned, organized …)

Ideas are valuable and the spark that causes all development, but the spark alone won’t shine all that far. Asking for a fundraiser with naught but an idea will probably not convince a lot of people and most of the planning can be done without significant or even any payment. I think there would be a lot of people interested in aiding this, most of them however, including myself, would need more than an idea to go on. And I’ll be frank, I for one have too much on my plate already to start a project of this dimension.

More
7 years 8 months ago #249726 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Re:Action !!
To what end would this work? What purpose would a physical building serve that the current temple does not other then to add to the expense of the temple? What would a Jedi getting into politics serve other then to risk entanglement in political parties and the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249728 by
You guys are probably right... but I like the idea of a virtual temple. If I build one will anyone ever come on? Would it ever be an official TOTJO thing?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi